Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I guess he really needs his nicotine fix.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess he really needs his nicotine fix.

Couple comes up to me and I start ringing their stuff when the register freezes. I realize it's asking for ID and I look and see the box I just scanned is nicotine patches. I ask for ID and the woman says "for what?" I tell her and she looks confused, then asks hubs "Have you had to do that before??" He answers affirmatively and pulls his wallet out, leaving his ID in it. That's fine; I can enter the birthdate. I start to do so when he pulls it away.

Me: "I'm sorry, could I see that year again? I have to enter it."
    Him: "Humph, just put in any date. Who cares?" Any date? 1795? I actually say "Assets protection cares. I can get in trouble for making up dates."

Why is 10 seconds of me entering a date such a big freaking deal? You want your drugs, you follow my direction, buddy.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Sounds like there was an issue with the ID (such as expired), and he didn't want you to get a decent look.
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

wow you where nicer than me i would have said 2016 for the date lol

Comment

He would've really hated me. We have to have their IDs out of their wallet every time, to scan the bar code on the back. I've actually had a couple of people accuse me of stealing information that way. I can only imagine what the jerk in the OP would think! Also, don't people understand that the more they throw a fir about being ID'd, the more inclined we clerks are to ID them every single time??
        "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

I'd love it if we had to scan the barcodes; instead we get to ask people to take the card out/remove their thumb from the birthdate. The lottery machine has you scan your ID to verify age, so why can't the registers do it? I have seen SCO attendants at another chain scan IDs with the same handheld they use to scan/verify coupons.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
            Also, don't people understand that the more they throw a fir about being ID'd, the more inclined we clerks are to ID them every single time??
            We are required to ID every person, every time. If you're 90 or 18 I have to enter the date or scan your license, period. If I don't the transaction does not go anywhere. I literally cannot charge you for the item. This is what ticks them off. This guy was in his 50s, but I still had to put the date in. He should complain to corp. but he'll just give cashiers a hard time.

Comment

Am I the only person on the planet that cannot get the barcodes on IDs and DLs to scan? I always have to manually enter the date.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Every so often, I have an issue, but most of the time, I can get them to scan. The biggest problem here is when Iowa switched licenses. The new ones scan fine. The old ones had two bar codes on the back, really close together, and it was hard to scan one without hitting the other, wrong one. Other than that, it's usually the occasional out of state license that gives me issues.
                "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Ours have the 2 bar codes next to each other.

Comment

I don't understand what the big issue about showing IDs is, either. Although, once I went to a local convenience store and bought two sodas, two cookies, and a loaf of bread, and the cashier asked me for an ID. I asked (nicely), "Do I really need an ID for this?" He looked at my purchases, then said, "Sorry. Automatic pilot."

Comment

By the time you're done bitching about having to show ID, you could have shown it 10 times and been out the door.... but that's not any of MY business.
                      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Sparklyturtle View Post
                        I don't understand what the big issue about showing IDs is, either. Although, once I went to a local convenience store and bought two sodas, two cookies, and a loaf of bread, and the cashier asked me for an ID. I asked (nicely), "Do I really need an ID for this?" He looked at my purchases, then said, "Sorry. Automatic pilot."
                        I had something like that happen too. I showed my ID and then asked which item I was being carded for. The clerk looked at my milk, bread and chips then back at me and said "Sorry, its been a long day". We shared a laugh and I went on my way.

The mutual laughter probably took longer than showing my ID, I've never understood why people get so upset about that.

Comment

I'll never forget the time our system went haywire and kept asking us to ID for Pepsi Max. Just what's in that stuff??

Comment

I really think you work where I used to cause I remember that happening.
                            "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                              I'll never forget the time our system went haywire and kept asking us to ID for Pepsi Max. Just what's in that stuff??

My old boss and I once stopped in a liquor store one morning. He needed a bottle of wine or something for dinner. I grabbed a twelve pack of root beer. The girl behind the counter carded me for it because she was on autopilot. After staring at her in disbelief for a few seconds and asking if she carded everyone for root beer, she realized the mistake and I went on my merry way.

Comment

Working...
                              X