Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Customer Logic: If it's legal, we have to allow it.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer Logic: If it's legal, we have to allow it.

I'm checking in someone into the hotel and explaining the smoking policy.

Me: There's a $200 fee for smoking in the room.
    SC: But we're allowed to smoke marijuana, right since it's legal here.
    Me: So is tobacco but you can't smoke that either.
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Well MJ is legal, smoking of anything *indoors* within city limits in <Mr Hero's> city is NOT. I live and work in the same city. City law says no smoking indoors. The law might even be statewide but I'm not sure. Maybe saying "smoking of anything indoors is illegal in <our state> / <our city>" would get through their heads? Where I work, we have a non-smoking policy we make guests read and sign for specifically that reason, and is specifies all substances and what the cleaning fee is. Also, smoking MJ in public is technically illegal. It's considered an intoxicant and falls under public intoxication laws.

PS: Mr Hero we should get together and share war stories sometime. PM me if interested. Hubby makes a mean meatloaf!
    Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 02-01-2016, 02:02 PM.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

One motel I stayed at had a sign on the inside of the door (going from memory) saying that there was to be no smoking of pot, sweetgrass, crack, hash, hot oil, or anything else in the room. You know it's bad when tobacco falls under the "anything else" category.

BTW, from context it sounds like Mr. Hero is in the U.S. If another SC says that they should be allowed to smoke pot in their room since it's legal, correct them - it's federally a schedule 1 drug, which trumps state law under the Supremacy Clause.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Ya but they will trot out President Obama's executive order for the feds not to interfere with state-level MJ laws. That said, hotels are private businesses and private businesses can have any policy they want as long as the policy doesn't result in discrimination against protected groups. My boss can legally decide that nobody is allowed to smoke in the hotel. He could also disallow the consumption of red MnMs if he wanted to.
        Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 02-01-2016, 09:48 PM.
        "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
          Ya but they will trot out President Obama's executive order for the feds not to interfere with state-level MJ laws. That said, hotels are private businesses and private businesses can have any policy they want as long as the policy doesn't result in discrimination against protected groups. My boss can legally decide that nobody is allowed to smoke in the hotel. He could also disallow the consumption of red MnMs if he wanted to.

...or in a place with lots of beds,perhaps disallowing consumption of green MnMs would be better
          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Green MnMs and beds? I think I'm missing a reference here. Which is likely given I probably won't get anything that isn't a very specific genre of sci fi or a few very specific books from classical English literature.

Comment

Green M&Ms are supposedly an aphrodisiac, WishfulSpirit.
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

[slurring] "Red M&M, green M&M, eventually they all end up the same color."

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                  Ooooohhhh. Something in the dye maybe? If that actually worked I'd be handing the darn things out. Guests who are getting some are less trouble!

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                    This reminds me of one of my many memories of my dad. One Christmas Eve the topic of green m&m's comes up and he tells us the the rumor about them. Right then, my mom went after all the green m&m's in the bowl for herself.
                    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

ok, not to be contrary or anything, but I'm curious...what if someone who has a medical condition & therefore has a prescription/one of those medical cards that says they use MJ for medicinal purposes (say someone has migraines that are alleviated by MJ)..would your hotel not allow them to stay there or what would be the policy on a situation like that?
                      "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Comment

Quoth CorneliaMarieRocks View Post
                        ok, not to be contrary or anything, but I'm curious...what if someone who has a medical condition & therefore has a prescription/one of those medical cards that says they use MJ for medicinal purposes (say someone has migraines that are alleviated by MJ)..would your hotel not allow them to stay there or what would be the policy on a situation like that?
                        Smoking areas are always available, but they'd still have to follow the law.
                        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Our friends bought a house in CO with the intention of making it a bed and breakfast / medical grow. They did their research after purchasing th property (doh) and found the cost and liability for stupid people to smoke up on the property weren't worth the cost. They just grow and are working to get rec permits this year. The whole wake and bake bed and breakfast as a concept works but the other hotel customers have to be considered in a regular hotel.

Comment

Quoth CorneliaMarieRocks View Post
                            Depends on how they're consuming it. Smoking MJ isn't technically allowed anywhere on property, though if they weren't causing issues we probably wouldn't fuss about them going outside to toke it up. Edibles are fine. Under law, we don't have to allow anything, even something medical, that poses a threat to the health of other guests. If, for example, a service dog was threatening other guests or was otherwise out of control, we would be within our legal rights to ask that it be taken off property (a genuine service dog would be trained too well to act like that, but sometimes people claim an animal is a service animal when it isn't, just to be able to get it in places it normally wouldn't be allowed).

Side note on MJ and pain: one thing I didn't know prior to legalization is that the chemical in the plant that helps with pain (I think it's called CHB) is NOT the same one that makes the walls melt (THC). The local dispensary where I get Hubby's chocolate carries gum that doesn't have any THC, just CHB. We'd get that but at $50 a pack it's a bit spendy for us.
                            Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 02-07-2016, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X