This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Count Money

So you know how people will lick their thumb to count money? In my opinion it’s pretty gross, because come on. It’s money. Anyway, I’ve seen a few variations on that at my job now. For example, this one time I saw one dude lick the unrelated thumb before counting the money with his dry thumb, completely defeating the point.

Today’s drive thru customer took the cake however.

He took out a wad of cash, LICKED THE WAD, and then counted the money out with his thumb to give to me.

I took it by the corners delicately, put it on the register and proceeded to wait until he left to put on gloves and put it at the bottom of the stack in my drawer.

So glad to have a couple of days off.

I'll...just be over here, alternating between banging my head on the wall and trying not to throw up.

I don't lick my thumb, I actually spit slightly on it. Kind of the same thing, except that my tongue and thumb don't come into contact with each other.
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I know it's not nearly as effective, but I just breath on my fingers. There are those products which make it easier to turn pages, but they feel icky. Apparently I'm weird, because I don't like the way dry skin feels, but sticky/greasy/tacky is just as bad as dry to me. I handle money a fair bit, but generally don't need to physically count each bill, since we weigh it.

What is also super gross is when you open a till and can smell the money. Cigarette smoke, or pot, or perfume, or mold (!), or BO. And now I get to touch all of it, joy.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

When I'm bagging, I usually use a frozen item with frost on it (like ice cream), run my thumb over the surface of that, and then use it and my forefinger to open a stubborn batch of plastic bags.

Comment

I don't have that option, but do have hand sanitizer, so use a tiny bit on thumb and forefinger for those stupid bags.

When I get damp paper money or the customer is extracting it from non-standard places in clothing (bra, sock, etc.), I am deeply grateful for that sanitizer.
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Since 9 out of 10 bills have cocaine one them, that may be the reason people lick their thumbs when counting money.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

And if any of that money has ever come in contact with a stripper...
              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                When I'm bagging, I usually use a frozen item with frost on it (like ice cream), run my thumb over the surface of that, and then use it and my forefinger to open a stubborn batch of plastic bags.
                I actually did that when I was cashiering (we did our own bagging instead of having paid baggers). If the customer had something frozen/refrigerated that had condensation on it, I'd use that to get my fingers wet for opening the next batch of bags.
                "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"

Comment

Whatever happened to those little containers of waxy stuff that bank tellers used to use for this...?
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Oddly, I was just discussing this with a coworker last weekend. I find it to be one of the grossest things when people lick their thumbs, then count their money. Pretty sure I'd be fighting hard not to give them a disgusted look and/or throw up all over if I saw someone actually lick the money itself. Ew!
                    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

I've seen people lick unrelated digits before, but licking the cash itself is a new level of dumb!
                      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

At Shmesco we were allowed a little pot with a cut in half sponge dampened with water at the checkout. Much more hygienic.

I had the same kind of setup (but one manufactured for that purpose) when i stuffed envelopes for a month. I did 5,000 mailshots, i would have ended up with a very sore thumb and tongue. Lol.

Comment

Quoth Golden Phoenix View Post
                          At Shmesco we were allowed a little pot with a cut in half sponge dampened with water at the checkout. Much more hygienic.
                          I had to read this one twice. I was like, damn, we're not even allowed that at my job and I live in Colorado.
                          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                            And if any of that money has ever come in contact with a stripper...

Don't you swipe a credit card in the cash slot nowadays?

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                              Whatever happened to those little containers of waxy stuff that bank tellers used to use for this...?
                              Where I worked, at least, they weren't provided by the store. We had to go and buy them ourselves if we wanted them (and if we even knew where to get them).

Comment

Working...
                              X