This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The illegal parking saga

For some background, it is not allowed for customers to park on the petrol station forecourt. Firstly, cuz they would be causing an obstruction; secondly, they are not covered in any way by our insurance. Finally, if they do not return, we are perfectly within our rights to ring the police and have their car removed. So begins the saga of the illegal parking SC.

The SC, let's call him Mr Jones, appears at a crazy time when two of the tills are down and everyone in the immediate area has thought, "We must all get petrol at once!" and dashed into the petrol station. My colleague Sasha and I have closed off half the pumps as my till has just decided to freeze and I am about to call IT when Mr Jones comes in.

"Can I leave my car here?" he asks me. "It's an emergency; I have an important meeting and there are no car park spaces left."

I reply in the negative for the reasons stated above. Mr Jones obviously does not like my reply; he is wearing a suit and looks like a businessman who never hears the word "no" in his line of work. He leaves. I go to ring IT and Sasha deals with the ten billion customers. When I return, Sasha is looking cross.

"That customer you told not to leave his car here, he left his car bang in the middle of the forecourt," she said.

A customer, one of our nice regulars, interjects. "I think that the car is leaking," he says.

Oh shit. I go outside and check out Mr Jones' car, a giant tank sized vehicle. Sure enough, it's gushing petrol rather badly. So badly, in fact, that sand is not going to be able to contain it and we are going to have to shut off the pumps, evacuate and call the fire brigade. Just what we wanted to have to do on a day like this. I walk to the front and cone it off, explaining to customers that we have a fuel leak and they can't come in.

I head back inside and tell Sasha to make a tannoy message to inform customers that she's going to switch off the pumps and then do it. I go out back to make yet more phone calls; one to Craig the manager over the road, the other to the fire brigade. I am feeling rather cross at Mr Jones; even if he didn't know that his car was leaking, it was still a dickish thing to do. I then go back to help Sasha tell the irate customers now coming in why we had to turn off their pumps, tho the giant pool of petrol surrounding Mr Jones' motor ought to have given them a clue.

When Craig arrives, the last customer has gone and we are waiting for the fire brigade to arrive. I explain more fully to Craig about what has gone down. He says to call the police if Mr Jones doesn't return within the hour as we can't reopen if there's a massive tank car in the middle of the forecourt, cuz of health and safety rules, even after the fire brigade have done their mopping up.

Needless to say, Mr Jones does not return and we have no way of contacting him, so we call the police. During the last hour, the fire brigade arrived and mopped up the fuel spill, plus IT got the two broken tills running again. The only thing that is stopping us reopening is Mr Jones' car. I tell the police the situation, they say that they will try and find contact details for Mr Jones on their computer by tracing the car.

A police car arrives. Apparently, Mr Jones is not at home and nor is anyone else. The police say that they are going to impound the car as Mr Jones is uncontactable and a message will be left on his answerphone informing him of this. A breakdown lorry arrives later and removes Mr Jones' car and takes it to the police pound. As for Mr Jones, we haven't heard a peep from him yet, but it's only a matter of time...
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

I can't wait to hear what Mr. Jones' response to all this is going to be....

*eats popcorn*

Comment

Ten bucks says he will say that you gave him permission to park where he did anyway (Selective memory and all), or that his "emergency" justified an exception.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Long live Marinus van der Lubbe!

(after Mr. Jones car has been dragged a safe distance away)
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

This should be entertaining . . . Pass the popcorn?

Comment

*patiently awaits further shenanigans*

Comment

I'm sure some gas stations in "the hood" have contacts with the local "chop shop". Someone parks illegally? Car is gone - and Sgt. Schultz would be a better witness than anyone on the premises.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                I am feeling rather cross at Mr Jones; even if he didn't know that his car was leaking, it was still a dickish thing to do.

Scratch out "dickish" and insert "illegal" (or, if it isn't, it ought to be)...walking away from a car you know to be leaking fuel when you park it RIGHT NEXT TO A GAS STATION is essentially putting the lives of everyone in the immediate area at risk. If this guy knew his gas tank had ruptured, he should have A.) parked it as far away from other people as possible, and B.) immediately contacted the police and/or a towing service and told them what was wrong. And even if he didn't know...dude! You don't just park your car in the middle of an insanely busy gas station queue and walk away.

Comment

I hope there were cameras with audio to catch LNS refusing permission to abandon the car there.

Comment

Mr. Jones has absolutely NO leverage here. I hope all this costs him an arm and a leg (including your station demanding compensation for your unscheduled shutdown), he just might learn something from all this...

But you know he'll scream and threaten you with a lawsuit, even though this is all HIS fault!

Comment

Why did anyone wait before towing that ***hole's car? I would not have waited the hour after everything was shut down to contact the police--they would have been the next call after The Boss, and the fire brigade! "We have an illegally parked car that is leaking petrol, the fire brigade has been called but we need it towed!"

At the very least, once the fire brigade had mopped up the hazmat, I would have requested that the "dangerous and illegally parked vehicle" be towed ASAP.
                      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Charge him for parking there - some not-insubstantial sum, too. Perfectly within your rights. His dickish move cost you business and created a hazard.

Sock it to 'im. HARD.

Comment

Tow him, make him pay for any inconvenience AND mark him as "not allowed on the petrol stations' property"!

Comment

I think it's time to bust out the gif again...

PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

My hopeful nature: Jay 2K Winger's gif is as appropriate as ever.

My cynical nature: He knew full well that the car was leaking and abandoned it there (if it was ever even his car to begin with).

Let's see which side wins...
                              "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Working...
                              X