This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst manager ever

I've been thinking of shitty managers in my past, and I thought I'd start this thread. It's dedicated to the worst manager you've ever had.

Call it therapy.

Have at it! Tell us your worst manager, and why they were so bad.

I had 2 bad managers I reported to back in 2011.

My direct manager had a night and day persona. You never knew which persona he would be. That made it difficult to do your job. I even asked him why he is like that. He told me "I just am. Nothing personal."

The other manager was the client manager I reported to.

She was over-bearing and domineering.

She called my employer several times back in 2011 to complain about everything under the sun. It got to the point that the employee who answered the phone at the main office told my employer at that time "I am not dealing with that b*tch any longer."

She expected the impossible to happen because the manager she reported to expected the same.

The situation was this, which I posted back in 2011...

I was working at the client site, a major university, as a Visitor Parking attendant, and Visitor Parking was being renovated. So, Visitor Parking was moved to the adjacent Faculty/Staff garage. There was a call box at the entrance to that garage as well as a call box at the exit to that garage. Both the entrance and the exit were on the same side of that garage. I sat inside the Visitor Parking booth which was roughly 50 feet from that garage. There also was a call button at each call box, and I was told by the client manager that I had to literally prevent anyone from pressing the call button because neither she nor her staff members had the time to answer those calls. Calls from either call box were routed to the university police department who then transferred the phone call to her office.

I remember my direct manager telling me in August 2011 when he was about the renew the contract with the client that our employer was not making any money from the business arrangement with the client. He told me that our employer was lucky to break even. He also told me that he had 2 contracts to present to the client. One contract was for a full-time employee and a part-time employee. If the client chose that contract, I would keep my benefits since I was the full-time employee. The second contact was for 2 part-time employees, and if the client chose that contract, I would loose my benefits since my employer did not offer benefits to part-time employees back then.

The client chose the part-time contract. I had to cancel my doctor appointment for the following month since I would no longer have benefits.

I tried to transfer to another location where I would work full-time, but my manager denied my request.
    Last edited by snugglegirl05; 08-11-2019, 11:54 AM.

Comment

I'd say the last store manager and direct manager at the Warehouse, both of which were two reasons as to why I left [and was not the only person who left because of them]. When my previous direct manager -- who, while sometimes had shifts in attitude at random, I could deal with and who knew better then to get on my case about every little thing -- was replaced by the new direct manager, I thought things might be different. Turns out that the new manager expected everyone to have their job as the only thing in their lives that mattered over everything else regardless of what it was.

I left after a few months of this, among other things, and was told that if the system wouldn't accept my last day as the day I'd actually quit, I'd have to work out my schedule until it did. In response to that, I told my new direct manager that either he gets the system to accept it right then and there or the system will fire me for NCNS, as I refused to work a day more then I already did.
      Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

I had a manager who once called everyone for a meeting and declared, 'I'm going to fire the lot of you and hire somebody who knows how to do your jobs right!'
        Well, he didn't, and life went on. But his management was so very poor that everybody was looking for a new job, including me. The problem was, he had me blackballed throughout the whole town, so I couldn't get another job there. I finally plotted and planned, and packed, then dropped my resignation off at his desk while he was out to lunch, left my keys with my coworkers, and was out of town before he got back. I never heard from him again. My last paycheck was sent to my father, who forwarded it to me, and I found a job 3 states away.
        That was the only time I ever walked out on a job.
        Everything turned out well in the future, and if I ever become a manager, I have a perfect example of what *not* to do.
        Last edited by ladyjaneinmd; 09-04-2019, 10:53 AM.

Comment

The one 15 years ago who inspired this post of mine, years after I'd walked away from her. Small business, the other partners were nice and good managers (OK, one was pretty disorganized, but he knew it and was amenable to letting others help him stay on top of things). The problem one was there all day every day, being nitpicky and paranoid and inconsistent just to have things to yell at me about, while being OK with other employees coming to work smelling of alcohol, among other things.

After a long-timer in the position I ended up in retired, they blew through three in my spot in under a year. I was the duration record at not quite six months. My successor showed up at my apartment one day (small town, I wasn't hard to find). She introduced herself (we'd never previously met) then asked "are they always this crazy?". I answered with a "yes" and suggested she track down my predecessor for more input. A few months later, when I started a new job, the lady who had showed up at my place was in my training class. She told me she'd lasted about a week after her visit to me, then bailed.
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I worked for a bridal store in the alterations department. The manager aspired to have her own alterations business, working from home. To further that end, she started to give out her personal business card to customers when the time frame for alterations was too short to serve them at the store, or when they wanted a service the store didn't provide. Interestingly she told her staff that if any of us did the same thing, we'd be written up for conflict of interest.

Then she escalated. Instead of supervising and managing the department, she started working the sales floor, a lot, and telling the customers that her staff wasn't skilled or knowledgeable enough to alter their gowns, and that if they wanted it done correctly, they should request that *only she* do their fittings and sewing. Going through the rack, on one work order after another was written, "To be altered by Sally." "Sally" even told me she thought we didn't know what we were doing. She acted surprised when I quit.

Comment

Worst manager I ever had wasn't a bully, or a perv, or dishonest. Just completely and utterly useless. His main trouble was that as far as every other manager was concerned, even those not directly above him, he was the biggest doormat going; but he had other, er, quirks...
              Anyone got a boring / difficult / time-consuming job they want to get rid of? Oh yes, our department would take that on, no problem. Never mind who was going to do it, or how, or where they were going to fit it in with what else they were doing.
              Need special arrangements for how / when you pick up your work from us? No problem, we'll tell the person handling your suite that you have to have it by 8.15 every morning. What do you mean, that suite doesn't get delivered from the cutting room until 8.30?
              Here's a task that will mean that you have to regularly phone outside contractors. No, you can't have a phone with an outside line on it - only myself and the section leaders have those, we know you'd just spend all your time chatting to your family if you had one. You'll just have to wait until we aren't using our phones. When will that be? Well how do I know?
              This task will mean that you'll be using [program].Training course? What do you need one of those for? I've written down the keys that you'll need to press, you'll be fine. If I find that you've made a mistake, I'll just tell you. In front of the whole office.

When we got a new manager, it was like the moment in The Wizard Of Oz when everything turns from black and white to Glorious Technicolour. We got what we needed to do our jobs. I got more training in six months than I'd had in years. Most wonderful of all, we got someone who would stand up for us if someone outside the department tried to cause trouble. Isn't it wonderful when that happens?
              Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

I was a Head Teller; they used to move from branch to branch every 6 months or so to Teller lines that needed help. I could get the tellers working properly and straighten out problems. I was transferred to a particularly fucked up branch, the Manager was a doormat and the Assistant Manager a complete bitch. AM did not like me one little bit, not entirely sure why. She would call me stupid in front of my tellers and when I called her on it she threatened to write me up for insubordination. I would tell her please do, I would love for her boss to know how unprofessional she was.

Any ways, one day some little thing went wrong, don't even remember what, she kept going at me until she made me cry. I was so mad at myself for letting her get to me that way. As soon as she saw the first tear she became my best friend. She just wanted that control, you know. I still get mad about it and it was like thirty years ago!

Comment

When I was 19, I had a manager who was having problems with her daughter, who was my age. Granted, I was not the most mature 19 year old you could meet, but whenever her daughter would act out, she'd take it out on me. I DO NOT miss her in the least.
                  My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

Working...
                  X