This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three EW Panhandlers

This thread about panhandlers, titled The Scene: Parking Lot, Middle of the Night, http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=51230 brought back to mind why I had a problem with panhandlers for a number of years.

Though I try to have sympathy and courtesy for panhandlers, there were three incidents when I lived in Portland, Oregon that caused me to look askance at panhandlers for years.

Incident the first. I was riding home on the MAX after job hunting downtown. EW Panhandler the 1st had cornered two girls (who couldn't have been more than 12!) and was hassling them for "any spare change you might have" to the point the girls were in tears. When he put his hand on the shoulder of one of them, I hollered at him to get the #$%% away from the kids and stop making them cry. He scuttled to the other end of the car, muttering to himself, and bolted off at the next stop. The worst part of this was other adults were present, but said nothing!

Incident the second. I was walking downtown to the Civic Auditorium for a show, when a panhandler approached me and DEMANDED!! not asked, demanded, five dollars! I told him, no way, and walked on. He turned around and SPIT ON MY BACK! I turned back in shock, to see him walking away as if nothing had happened. I stepped up behind him and planted my right foot in his rear end so hard he fell down, something I am not proud of, but really! The nerve!

Incident the third. I was cleaning out the freezer at my store and found some expired microwaveable sausage biscuits. I asked SM if I could take them downtown to the food mission. He okayed it, and off I went. As I carried this huge box in the front door, I had to move through a crowd of street people waiting outside for dinner. I noticed the smell of marijuana, and thought to myself, "Why do these people have money for dope, but not food?" (Please, everyone, no fratching!)

After some years of mellowing, I have regained sympathy for the unfortunate, but it took some time!

There's jerkwads in every group.

Thank you for standing up for the girls on the MAX.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Dytchdoctir View Post
      Incident the first. I was riding home on the MAX after job hunting downtown. EW Panhandler the 1st had cornered two girls (who couldn't have been more than 12!) and was hassling them for "any spare change you might have" to the point the girls were in tears. When he put his hand on the shoulder of one of them, I hollered at him to get the #$%% away from the kids and stop making them cry. He scuttled to the other end of the car, muttering to himself, and bolted off at the next stop. The worst part of this was other adults were present, but said nothing!
      You deserve a hero badge for that one - only god know what could have happened if several people (adults) got off that car...

Incident the second. I was walking downtown to the Civic Auditorium for a show, when a panhandler approached me and DEMANDED!! not asked, demanded, five dollars! I told him, no way, and walked on. He turned around and SPIT ON MY BACK! I turned back in shock, to see him walking away as if nothing had happened. I stepped up behind him and planted my right foot in his rear end so hard he fell down, something I am not proud of, but really! The nerve!
      I would have called the police - demanding money can be seen at an attempted robbery and spitting on you is assault and battery plus could put you at health risks for saliva based diseases. That doesn't paint a pretty picture.
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth Dytchdoctir View Post
        Incident the first. I was riding home on the MAX after job hunting downtown. EW Panhandler the 1st had cornered two girls (who couldn't have been more than 12!) and was hassling them for "any spare change you might have" to the point the girls were in tears. When he put his hand on the shoulder of one of them, I hollered at him to get the #$%% away from the kids and stop making them cry. He scuttled to the other end of the car, muttering to himself, and bolted off at the next stop.
        Thank you for helping those two girls! Who knows what that creep might've tried to do to them. And shame on the other adults for not stepping in!
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I am extreamly wary of people asking for money on the street.

I once watched a panhandler spend at least an hour wandering thru a crowd at the Town Hall asking everyone and I mean everyone, for money. She must have made about $50. She actually approached me 3 different times. I declined on all 3 as it was very obvious she was a crack addict and not in need of the "train fare home" she told everyone she needed.

Another time, this old homeless guy was hassling people on the train for money. He would get really angry and nasty when told no. I watched him work his way down the carriage. When he got to me he practically shouted "Gimme some Money!" To which I responded at the same volume "Do I Look Like A F***ing ATM??" Suprised the hell out of him and he slunk away only bump into the train guard and was removed at the next station.
          "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
          "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
          "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

I had a woman ask me for change as I was entering a CVS once, and I told her I didn't have any on me...same woman POUNCED me on the way out, as I was now carrying bags and MUST have spent money. She got really nasty with me when I told her I still didn't have anything on me. I just told her flatly "I used a credit card" and walked away, leaving her muttering nasty things about me as I left.

Ugh! I don't mind helping people out here and there--in fact, I recall a day where EVERYTHING conspired to make me miss both the bus and the light rail and have to take an alternate route home, until I ran into a woman who desperately needed change for a 20 so she could have exact change for the bus...which I had on me because I'd stopped in a store on my roundabout trip, gotten cash back, and asked for it broken down for some reason I can't remember...and suddenly everything reversed and it was the smoothest evening I'd had in ages. I like seeing the look on people's faces when they're having a rough day and something finally goes right. But I do not owe anyone anything, no matter how much they think I do, and insisting will quickly make me NOT want to help them!
            It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

I've seen some pretty aggressive pan handlers in my time, but the best (worst?) story I have about an EW panhandler is actually from my mom.

My mom was in a major city about half an hour away from our city to get a passport from her country's consulate. This city is notorious for aggressive panhandlers. This panhandler goes up to her and says he needs money for the train, so my mom gives him a dollar. The guy goes, "A DOLLAR?! I need 5! Give me 4 more dollars!" So my mom says, "Well, since that obviously isn't good enough for you, I'll just take it back then." And she grabs the dollar out of his hand and walks away. Go mom!

Comment

There are quite a few panhandlers around here who will try to up the ante--if someone gives them a single, they'll say "I really want to [get something to eat, etc], can you do 10? Or 20?" (a 7-11 sandwich does not cost $10--hell, you could get a rice ball at the Japanese grocery across the street for a buck-fifty and it's probably healthier)
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Personally, I'm just as annoyed with the lazy panhandlers; The ones who just write something like "spare change please" on a sign, set a hat beside it, and take a nap.

Fuck you, you want some of the money I worked for, do something. Play an instrument, do a trick, hell just tell me a joke. Make some sort of effort.

Best sign I ever saw was a panhandler passed out drunk next to a sign that read "blah, blah, change" I laughed and put a couple quarters into the hat.

Awhile ago a cute 20-ish panhandler asked me "Help a punk get drunk?" I gave her 2 dollars, and said "well, since it's for a noble cause...."

A passerby who overheard loudly and disdainfully comments "Pffff, you know she's just gonna spend it on food and rent."
                  Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

I had one the other day walking through traffic while at a stop light. They do that around here so I mean it's not anything new.

The unwritten rule is you walk in a straight line between the cars, don't touch people's car, approach when given the OK and just basically stay the f*ck out the way.[/sarcasm] This ray of sunshine decides to step in front of my car as I'm coming to a stop. I mean he literally started walking towards my front bumper as I was slowing down. Crazy ass man. I might've given him some change but when he did that and was acting oblivious while walking slow when he decided to finally get out of the way, the thought of being nice instantly erased from my mind. He then gives me this stupid smile and gestures as if to say is it OK for him to approach. I wave no but he still thinks it's OK. I just rolled my window up because it was already down and lock my door. I wasn't trying to fight some guy if he even thought about doing something foolish as trying to open my door. He pissed me off because I could've ran him over and it would've totally been his fault. I hate when pedestrians think it's ok to jaywalk like it's nobody's business.
                    Last edited by Willis; 08-03-2009, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Living and going to school downtown in my City taught me to never carry cash. I used to be the sort of person who would try to help people out, but when it's near constant and worse, every single panhandler is negotiating for a full bill or will follow you around until you give them the money they want, it's best just to say "I don't have anything."

Comment

I've had several experiences:

- A guy came up to me and asked me straight up for two dollars. I didn't have two dollars but I offered him 50 cents. He got pissed off that I had the audacity to only give him 50 cents and actually THREW the coins on the ground in front of me.

- Had another guy approach me, apparently needing money for "bus fare home" to a city not far from where I was. The problem is this encounter took place about FOUR miles away from the Greyhound terminal! Yeah nice try buddy but I don't think you'd wander that far for bus fare.

- More recently on a work break, I emerged from Subway with my food only to have a guy approach me and ask if I'd be willing to buy him lunch. Now I give this guy some credit for at least making a reasonable request, but really, jumping on me as soon as I exit the restaurant?
                        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Panhaldners in south Florida can be quite aggressive (and those ruin it for those OK ones who sit at intersections and sell newspapers etc.).

I've had them jump in front of my car (while it was in motion etc..), tap my window, etc.
                          Quote Dalesys:
                          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Working...
                          X