This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I tell them I'm pregnant?

Ok, I work at Wal-Mart, currently doing 3rd shift in the backroom. I am also just about 15 weeks pregnant. Everyone I work with now knows that I am pregnant (co-workers, my immediate managers, etc.). That isn't where the problem lies.

I have the opportunity to possibly get a job in the vision center as an optician trainee. I want this job SO BAD. I didn't realize I wanted it until I got a call from the vision center saying that they pulled up my career preferences and wanted to interview me for the job. It would mean I could go back to days, it would also be less physically demanding than my current position, and it has the potential to be an actual career.

Obviously, the people at the vision center don't know that I am pregnant. And I know that technically they can't make a decision based on that fact. Also, if I got the position, it would in theory just be a transfer of jobs within the store, not a new hire or anything like that. My question is, on the off chance that they would not give me the job if they knew I was pregnant, should I just keep quiet about it? I asked my mom, she said I shouldn't say anything. But I don't know if I feel okay with that.

I have every intention of returning to full time work after my maternity leave, and I am not even due until January 25. My pregnancy is not high risk, and while I know that anything can happen, there is no reason to anticipate problems at this point in time.

So...on one hand, I don't want to screw up my chances of getting this job. On the other, I don't want to start off on the wrong foot by omitting a large chunk of important information. I can't just pretend I "just found out", because I am 4 months along and I am starting to show (although since I'm a bigger girl, that can be hard to tell).

So what should I do? This is really hard
    --Kim--

“It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.” Philip K. Dick

I don't understand how your being pregnant would impact on the job, other than the maternity leave when the baby's born.

Why bring it up?

I'm not sure what the laws are if they refused to hire you because of the pregnancy, but I'm pretty sure, if you meet the qualifications, and they don't hire you for that reason, you could have a discrimination case.
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I guess I am just thinking if they knew I'd be taking maternity leave in 4 or 5 months, then they wouldn't consider me. It would be easy for them to say that I didn't meet the qualifications, but in reality not want to hire me because I'd have to take that time off. I'd have no way to prove it otherwise.
      --Kim--

“It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.” Philip K. Dick

Comment

That's why I wouldn't bother to tell them.

Once the baby's born, you're still going to have a life, and if this job will provide a better opportunity for you, then why sabotage it?

I just wouldn't mention the pregnancy. You don't really owe them that information.
        Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I wouldn't say anything at this point. Besides, if they came looking for you, then it's reasonable to think they already spoke with your managers and HR. Which means they (might) already know.

I understand you want to be honest, but there is nothing wrong with omitting this truth. And honestly, I'd keep notes of any comments/dates/etc that involve your pregnancy. Not trying to sound paranoid, but a friend of mine came *this close* to being laid off once she told people she was pregnant. Her manager told her point blank that they couldn't afford maternity leave (part of her bennies) and that she'd be laid off. Friend hired a lawyer to write a strongly-worded letter saying that firing due to pregnancy is illegal. She still has her job.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Yeah, don't mention it.

Nice avatar.

Comment

I would not mention any kind of illness, pregnancy, long term chronic problems or ANYTHING that would hinder your progress. Period.

Me - I'm pg.
              I'm looking for work.
              I have been interviewing, but since I'm not showing and just fat (heehee) I'm much more likely to be hired.

My BF's mother, who worked in HR for bazillions of years, told me flat out "If we find out someone IS pregnant and trying to get a job, we actually work to NOT hire them. We will find out excuses all over the board to not have them."

So, I've only told my best friends and my sis/dad. That's it. Nobody else around here who could f-up my job hunt.

Cutenoob
              In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
              She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. I do feel a lot better about not saying anything now. I don't want to do anything that will screw up my chances of getting this job. My interview is Monday afternoon, so just cross your fingers that it goes well
                --Kim--

Comment

I'll say this much, if they specifically ask you about it, don't lie, but don't go out of your way to tell them about it.

If they do ask a question along the lines of "do you know of any upcoming events that may cause you to take time off work?" then you'll have to be honest because if you get employed and you lied then thats grounds for dismissal.
                  "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
                  Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

I hummed and hawed over this one, because I'm painfully open and honest. 'Medical' information like that would be private, so you're under no legal obligation to tell them. Ethically, I guess you'd have to make the call. But I think the others are right that they've probably spoken with, or will speak with, your other managers and might know or might find out anyway. Legally it shouldn't matter, but I can see where you wouldn't want to risk not getting the position.
                    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Kim, do what you feel is right. That is what matters here. Think of the reverse scenario: What if someone joined your team and you found out she was pregnant, and would soon have to take leave fairly soon? Would you be okay with this, or would it make you a bit miffed?

Now, personnally, I'd let them know of a medical condition. I find up-front honesty is appreciated most places. There will be future oportunities if you play straight with them now, and they may even hire you anyway! Obviously, though, being male I can't speak to the issues of pregnancy other than what I've learned by science.
                      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I know I'm a little late on the subject, but wanted to give my two cents.

One of the two hires I did in April when she interviewed told me right off the bat that she was pregnant (she was at 2 months). It definitely impacted the decision to hire her, but she had such a great personality and the skills we were looking for that we hired her even knowing that she would be out for 3 months. She was early enough along that she wasn't showing and could have easily lied and said after she got hired "oops, I just found out". Knowing that she was upfront about that told us a little bit about the type of person she is and we knew that she'd come to us about having any other types of problems. So far her work has been awesome and we're expecting her to take off from the beginning of October till the middle of January. We're even looking into her doing some work from home before the baby is due.

If you don't say anything and you get the job and then they find out that everyone else knows, it could negatively affect your job in the future. If you tell them and don't get hired over it, it sucks, but think about how they might have acted towards you once you told them.

Good luck in the interview.
                        A crisis is a problem you can't control. Drama is a problem you can, but won't. - Otter

Comment

I just got back from my interview. I think it went well. I did end up telling them I was pregnant, only because the interviewer asked why I was wanting to switch positions and that was a large factor. He didn't say anything either way about whether that mattered, but I know that doesn't mean much. I found out there are 3 others being interviewed for the same position. So, I could get it, I might not.

At least I was up front about it. I'm trying not to be too pessimistic, and just take things as they come. If I can't get onto the day shift, there is still the good chance I can get into a different position on overnights. I should know Wednesday or Thursday whether or not I got it. Please keep your fingers crossed/pray/send good karma my way.
                          --Kim--

Comment

Personally, I think you made the right choice.

Comment

Just found out one of my co-workers from nights got the position. Oh well. Although I am a bit more bummed than I thought I would be about it. Damn me for being honest...
                              --Kim--

Comment

Working...
                              X