X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My glasses broke

Waah !

I was just leaving home today when I took my glasses off, polished off a couple of marks and popped them back on my nose. They immediately fell in half.

I have very poor sight and without them I'm kind of pathetic.

I phoned a colleague on my mobile and as she could see and comes into work past more shops she brought me some glue. It didn't hold this morning but I'm hopeful the second attempt (incorporating part of a paper clip) will. I do have a tiny drop of glue on the lense though, and it looks a bit odd.

I know that someone with such poor sight should have spares. These were my spare pair - 2 years ago. I know I've been stupid, but I've always been hoping that a month would come round where I could afford them without real hardship.

I've got an appointment tomorrow for a new eye test. I get to find out howmuch my vision has deteriotated. And spend all the money I don't have. And I still won't get new ones until next week (the place I'm going is cheap, it's too much to expect it to be fast as well).

I've seen customers (or vague flesh coloured blobs who told me their problems) but I'm horribly behind in making my records. I can type because I more or less tyouch type and can close my eyes (or look vaguely at the keyboard) but filling in forms on the computer screen is a real strain. I hope my manager is understanding...

Victoria J

Ugh, I feel for you! I also have terrible vision, I am nearsighted and without my glasses I can see about 4 inches in front of my face before things start to go blurry.

One Christmas Eve a few years ago I was working at a jewelry store in the mall when a coworker accidentally hit me in the face with her shoulder. Snapped my plastic frames right in half. I felt so useless! I couldn't see our product well enough to sell it lol. Luckily my optometrist was open until 5, and since my glasses were still under warranty they were able to switch out the lenses to the same frame they had in stock.

And don't feel bad about not having a spare! Glasses are ridiculously expensive. I only recently got 2 new pairs, and that was only because the place I went to had a 2-for-1 deal.
    --Kim--

β€œIt is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.” Philip K. Dick

Comment

Hmmm, give me a spot of time, and ifn you can live without them, i know i've a bookmark somewhere around here (assuming its recoverable, lost my system yesterday) for a recommended on line glasses store that has very good prices (and a selection better than the brick and mortar stores).
      Seph
      Taur10
      "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Can you swap the lenses into a good set of frames or the lenses too different to find a good match? Since a accident at college back 00 I have kept a spare set of frames handy if I need to swap the lenses.

Comment

I've been fortunate in that my prescription hasn't changed noticeably in the last 8 to 10 years or more, and more, that I had a pretty good Vision plan. I actually have something like four 'spares' hanging around in various places.
          The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

Got my eyes tested, and my prescription has (unsuprisingly) changed in the last 7 years. So new glasses it is. One eye is weaker the other is slightly stronger

It could have been a lot worse really, it's just that my finances aren't good at the moment and I think this is going to leave me negotiating with the electric company.

My old glasses are now stuck together fairly firmly with superglue and 2 small pieces from a paperclip. I'm stuck with them for 1 to 2 weeks.

My real problem is one I should have known to avoid. I'm an avid reader of mysteries and watcher of shows like CSI. I do know that superglue fumes raise finger prints. I didn't know they were so impossible to get rid of afterwards.

Last night when I headed home my glasses where pretty solid, but unwearable because the fumes from the still setting glue hurt my eye. SO I wrapped them up. And inadvertantly raised all the finger prints where I had been holding them to glue them.

I'm looking out through a slight fog of finger prints.

Any suggestions ?

Looking forward to the new glasses, if not the bank statement.

Victoria J

Comment

Nail varnish remover removes superglue.
              "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

This place is meant to be cheap (no, I'm nothing to do with them):-
                http://www.speckyfoureyes.com/ & yes, they're in the UK...they advertise of the side of the M62, near me in West Yorkshire

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                  Nail varnish remover removes superglue.
                  Not if she has plastic lenses instead of glass, acetone melts plastics. if it is plastic lenses, she is stuck with the fingerprints forever also as they are now permanently part of the plastic

[don't ask me how I found this out ... I am a klutz also ]
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Thanks for the suggested places to get glasses - I've already ordered though. I just wanted to get it done, and it delays (and is a real fight) to get the prescription from anyone to order elsewhere.

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                    Not if she has plastic lenses instead of glass, acetone melts plastics. if it is plastic lenses, she is stuck with the fingerprints forever also as they are now permanently part of the plastic

[don't ask me how I found this out ... I am a klutz also ]
                    I'm pretty sure they're glass - I'd worry abit about the non-scratch coating but I guess I'm beyond that now. I also have some of those nail varnish removal pads somewhere.

I do know that superglue and acetone don't go together. I tried to glue a nice pair of headphones together with glue that said it was OK on all plastics, but not acetone. I guess they were aetone - they shrivelled...

I'm kind of getting used to the fingerprints though - as long as I don't look too far right.

Victoria J

Comment

Quoth CSR Kim View Post
                      Ugh, I feel for you! I also have terrible vision, I am nearsighted and without my glasses I can see about 4 inches in front of my face before things start to go blurry.
                      Same here, my eyesight is just as bad >_< I've had my glasses snap at work before...The boss lets me go home because I have a job where I'm totally dependent on the computer, and leaning in far enough to see gives me eyestrain...The only problem is GETTING home in one piece. Fortunately, I know enough of the little back streets that I can get home without getting near the interstate or causing an accident as a creep along at 10 mph x.x

At least if it happens at home I can have my roomie drive me to the glasses shop...
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I love having contact lenses.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Victoria J View Post
                          Thanks for the suggested places to get glasses - I've already ordered though. I just wanted to get it done, and it delays (and is a real fight) to get the prescription from anyone to order elsewhere.
                          Victoria J
                          To quote from that same website - "By law, your Optician must provide you with a clear, legible copy of your prescription after an eye test, and you should not be subjected to any pressure to buy from them."

It was just the greedy salesdroid coming out in them.

Comment

Quoth Victoria J View Post

I'm pretty sure they're glass - I'd worry abit about the non-scratch coating but I guess I'm beyond that now. I also have some of those nail varnish removal pads somewhere.

I do know that superglue and acetone don't go together. I tried to glue a nice pair of headphones together with glue that said it was OK on all plastics, but not acetone. I guess they were aetone - they shrivelled...

I'm kind of getting used to the fingerprints though - as long as I don't look too far right.

Victoria J
                            Acetone is the chemicals in polish remover ... it will melt plastics just like superglue may =) so your headphones particular plastic did not play well with the superglue. There are glues designed for working on plastic, but generally superglue isnt one of them=)
                            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                            X