This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm only thinking of you...

So I was in the hospital for a minor surgical to-do (an injection for my bulging disc and another story in its entirety,) and I'm also doubled-over in pain, not from the disc, as one might expect, but because of the stomach bug that I have been fighting for the past five days.

Seriously, it's been nausea for five days. Only vomited once, and then just all nausea, all the time. If anyone has any home relief tips, I'm all ears. It has been simply kicking my ass.

So my mom takes me into the elevator (I might as well be a kid again for all she's had to take care of me recently) and there's this random woman behind us. I turn to her and say "You don't want to be anywhere near me. Really." She waits for the next elevator.

After some wrong-button-pushing, we end up back on the same floor. A few nurses get in to go to the same surgical suite (and of course my mom knows them, as she's worked at that hospital for 35+ years and knows half of the nurses to have ever set foot in the place) and I'm crouching in the corner to stay as far from humanity as possible, and cuz I'm miserable.

Beyond the nurses, I see the same woman, still giving me this rather confused look. And I reach my arm out to her in entreaty and call pitifully "I'm sorry! I just don't want you on my conscience!"

Nurses crack up.

I really hope that woman went home and laughed about the crazy lady that begged her to stay away for her own safety. I always figure that whenever I'm in the hospital, even a really crappy time can be made a little better if I can make my caretakers smile.
    My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Nausea cure: Pineapple juice.

I found this one while pregnant and ever since it has worked for me. Within minutes of my first swig my nausea dies off, whatever the cause. Don't know how it works or if it's just a placebo effect, but it's a cheap and easy thing to try. At the very least, if you can keep it down you'll get some vitamin C.

Also, try saltine crackers. Don't just take bites out of them, though, nibble them like a mouse.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Interesting on the pineapple. At this point I may try anything.

Me and crackers...we're good friends. I've gone through half a box of saltines. The big box.

Today's attempt at mixing things up is dry cereal and peppermint tea.
      My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

You want easy digestable food. Plain porridge, just oats and water, is my main food when my stomach acts up. Rice cooked in broth is good too.

5 days and still not better? That is one nasty bug! You might want to see a doctor about it, if only to get anti-nausea pills.
        No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Ginger, ginger EVERYTHING! I eat a lot of candied ginger and ginger chews from Trader Joes. Drool!

Comment

Quoth WoodenSunshine View Post
            Ginger, ginger EVERYTHING!...
            Redheads are a medication? I'll have to tell my Scottish/Sicilian nurse friend that!
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Ginger is good, my grandma always fed us BRATT food when we were sick, it's still the only stuff I can keep down when my stomach is acting up - bananas, apples/applesauce, rice, toast, tea.
              Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
                Ginger is good, my grandma always fed us BRATT food when we were sick, it's still the only stuff I can keep down when my stomach is acting up - bananas, apples/applesauce, rice, toast, tea.
                Gaaah!! The way you listed it, that's BARTT, not BRATT.

OCD sucks.
                Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Yeah, English is hard lately. I couldn't remember ICF yesterday, I played out the acronym in my mind and got all the words, said CFI. Really close, but exactly not what I was talking about!

Sorry , about 12 too many concussions
                  Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

My tummy retaliates against processed ginger anything, though I have good luck with simmering coarsely chopped fresh ginger for a couple of hours, then mixing the result with a smidgeon of honey and drinking it like a tea.
                    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth WoodenSunshine View Post
                      Ginger, ginger EVERYTHING! I eat a lot of candied ginger and ginger chews from Trader Joes. Drool!
                      I wonder how long it will be before you wind up with green bands painted around your arms. Cookies (Ginger snaps, of course) for reference.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

My go to for nausea is a bit weird. I eat raw rice. I just fill up a small juice cup and munch away (usually very slowly...). I started it as a kid thinking the rice will soak up in my tummy like it does when I cook it (I was a kid remember!) so I don't know how much is placebo at this point but that's what got me through my crazy pregnancy!

I hope you get well soon!
                        Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                          Redheads are a medication? I'll have to tell my Scottish/Sicilian nurse friend that!
                          One spoonful of Scottsman a day keeps the nausea away

Comment

Peppermint works well for me. Either in tea or candy form.
                            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                              Peppermint works well for me. Either in tea or candy form.
                              THIS! It works very well, especially in candy form.
                              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Working...
                              X