Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very minor devil's advocate question: did anyone tell the cop that Mr D is autistic?

I do agree that Mr D should be accompanied when he shops, even if the carer sits out the front and does whatever work he/she can do while waiting; intervening only when there are scary-loud-noises or any other trigger. (Thus letting Mr D. have as much autonomy as possible.)
    But, sadly, it almost certainly is a lack of carer hours issue.

I am saddened - and wish I were surprised - by what's happened here. And I agree that the wrong person was banned.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
      Very minor devil's advocate question: did anyone tell the cop that Mr D is autistic?
      In the chaos, it wouldn't surprise me if nobody had told them that. It also wouldn't surprise me if the cops assumed that he was one of the many "self-diagnosed" cases that run rampant out there, OR if they were aware and assumed that the others were making excuses for his behaviour.

Unfortunately training on dealing with people with intellectual/developmental disabilities tends to run fairly thin in some parts.
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Update, please!
        cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

If the place wants to get rid of someone, they'll make up a reason/not list one at all if they're smart -- Technically, ALL US states fall under "at-will" (meaning, they can fire someone, and any non-contract employee can quit, with or without a formal "cause" at any time) , so they can just put someone down as "dismissed without cause." It's just that different states modify At-Will in different ways.

In any case, yes, you are wise to tread gingerly on this one.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I'm wondering if they can legally enforce that order. As in, if Mr. D comes back, because he doesn't know what the order is, they can't arrest him because he never signed, and doesn't understand it at all.

Comment

I don't even know what to say...I'm just horrified that something like this could happen. It's really disappointing that no one, management or otherwise, stood up for Mr. D.
              Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Comment

Quoth Silent-Hunter View Post
                I'm wondering if they can legally enforce that order. As in, if Mr. D comes back, because he doesn't know what the order is, they can't arrest him because he never signed, and doesn't understand it at all.
                They probably could.

Some time ago we banned our resident fingerpainter for doing...exactly what you think she was doing. AFAIK she was never made to sign anything and would've been too out of it mentally to understand what she was signing.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Still, I wouldn't think they could actually take him to jail, they'd have to just take him home, or to his caretaker or something.

Comment

Oh the pain of being the CSM

I am the CSM mentioned in previous comments by my Tattooed cashier...

Right now, my superiors are continuing their "fact finding" mission. Based on my previous experience with this phrase, it means that they are looking for any reason to target ME and MY actions, MY interactions, and MY words to the local PD regarding the situation with Mr. D. In the near future, I fully expect to be called in for a meeting where I will learn my fate.

My part in all of this was as Mr D. came to the end of an aisle and headed to my register Fear Monger(FM) lady whipped her shopping cart around, put it between Mr. D and me and said (in a very rude manner) "You will take care of me here...right? That 'freak' has no RIGHT to be here." I didn't acknowledge her comment, lack of manners, or her attitude. I looked beyond her to Mr.D and quietly redirected him to another lane. Mr. D complied but looked at me VERY confused and unsure....and that...that look right there is where the sh*t hit the fan. FM went ballistic...yelling, demanding that the cops were called because "MY baby feels threatened" <eye roll> I have been raising kids for 27 years and don't know a single 14-18 months old that can articulate themselves that well. Any how, I refused to stop ringing her order in and call the cops...so, she threw a yogurt at me and stormed off. "I will never shop here again!" She promptly went to the other end of the store where she spewed her venom at anyone who would listen....until the cops (called by spineless manager) came to the store.

As they group of them--two cops, spineless manager, and sneaky two-faced grocery manager stood in the entryway, I looked at the cops and said, "Seriously....you are going to violate Mr. D's rights like that? THIS...THIS right here is discrimination. You BOTH know that it is against the law to serve a mentally challenged person with legal paperwork when their legal guardian is not present!" I turned to look at my fellow managers and said, "Really, this is how you want this handled? What would you do if this were my grandsons acting out in the store??"

And with that...I put myself in time out because I was LIVID...almost unable to speak, seething with anger and disgust, and incredibly disappointed with my company. At 5pm, the Jolly Green Giant DM called to 'discuss' how I embarrassed myself and dragged the company into 'public controversy.' After 22 minutes of a lecture and attempts to guilt me into admitting that I was out of line...I asked if he had anything further for me as I needed to attend to my special needs grandsons.

SO--here I sit...not knowing my fate...with my cousin, a reported for the local newspaper, chomping at the bit...and my lawyer waiting for the signal to send paperwork...and a few ideas of how to strike back. The CEO of our company has ties to a local Olympic sized organization for special needs athletes because he has a sibling that has needed the organization's services...I wonder how he would feel to find out that this type of targeted discrimination is happening in one of his stores...

Any how, I guess I will know my fate soon.....

Comment

"People like that", huh? Wonder what she'd think about Tim's Place? It's owned and run by a lovely young man with Down Syndrome. I love that hugs are on the menu. He's even started his own foundation.

http://www.timtheman.com/meettheman/

Quoth carryonnow View Post
                      Any how, I refused to stop ringing her order in and call the cops...so, she threw a yogurt at me and stormed off. "I will never shop here again!"
                      Wait a second. She threw something at you? I do believe that's assault right there.

Quoth carryonnow View Post
                      The CEO of our company has ties to a local Olympic sized organization for special needs athletes because he has a sibling that has needed the organization's services...I wonder how he would feel to find out that this type of targeted discrimination is happening in one of his stores...
                      Oh, I would love to see his reaction to all of this...
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Technically, ALL US states fall under "at-will" (meaning, they can fire someone, and any non-contract employee can quit, with or without a formal "cause" at any time) , so they can just put someone down as "dismissed without cause." It's just that different states modify At-Will in different ways.
                        If someone is a union member, they cannot be fired without cause; any halfway decent collective bargaining agreement will have specifics as to how, when and why an employee can be fired. If there is no union, there may be other labor laws that apply, and anyone who feels they were fired without cause should at least check with a labor lawyer for info.
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

*hugs my CSM*

Comment

Gee, wouldn't it be terrible if carryonnow lost their job.

Yup, somebody with nothing to lose, a relative with access to the media, and a high-ranking company official with a vested interest in seeing that developmentally disabled people have the same opportunities as anybody else.

It's terrible. Awful really.

Seriously, I know jobs are hard to come by, but you don't deserve to work for a boss who's fine with treating an autistic person like that. Nobody does. Who knows, maybe you'd get job offers from other places if it gets out that you stood up for Mr. D when nobody else would.
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

The whole story is really sad. We treat disabled people poorly in this country. We treat those with a mental disorder the worst. There is no way Mr D has a 24hr caregiver. He should be allowed outside his home since he is not a danger to anyone. That ugly woman is acting so superior like she could never be disabled or have a disabled relative. It's so ignorant. However, I'm sure she went home very happy for making a scene.

I will admit there are times when I don't want to hear children scream at the grocery store or disabled people. I might be really tired or feeling ill. What I do as a grown adult is keep to myself, finish my shopping, and leave. Anything else is inappropriate.

I hope you both can go for it and expose this shame.

Comment

Spineless managers should not be managers. They don't know the difference between a customer who has a legitimate problem and one who is just complainy. Companies should keep those people away from leadership positions because they're not strong enough to stand up to abusive behaviour like that which came from that bitchy "lady."

I hope you both can go for it, too. See if you can send anonymous letters to the CEO about the situation.

And anyone who says that people with disabilities should stay at home, I'll say this: If you had a disability, would YOU stay at home? I'll bet a million dollars that you won't.

Such hypocrites!

If you CS members ever encounter a person like that when you go shopping as customers, be sure to ask them that question. If they say "I'm not disabled!" keep pressing the question, with emphasis on the hypothetical part until they answer yes or no. If they say no, you can call them out as hypocrites. If they say yes, make them promise to stay at home, and bet them a million dollars that they won't. Be sure to keep a straight face so that they'll think you're serious about the million dollar bet. That should shut them up!
                                Last edited by cindybubbles; 10-27-2014, 06:18 PM.
                                cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Working...
                                X