This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth akilika View Post
    I had been under the impression that it was Potato . . . and that both Potato and Potatoe are acceptable variants.
    (. . . then again, a quick check to Wiki tells me that Potatoe fell out of use in the 19th century and is now considered incorrect. . . . nevermind, I guess.)
    Both ways are still valid for Scrabble, the only real way to tell whether a word is "real" or not.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I was born and raised in Wisconsin, and have been living next door in Michigan for the past 20 years, and Michiganders still tell me I have a "Wisconsin accent". One of my friends even tells me that I pronounce Wisconsin "funny". I don't hear it myself, unless I spend a week or more with my family in Wisconsin and it gets really thick, and you'll hear a lot of "ya hey's" from me. Apparently each state has it's own accent ....Go figure.

Comment

Quoth TryNotToBeThatOne View Post
        That led to me being teased about my accent the entire time I was growing up & people in my own hometown asking me where I was from.
        Me too - and I didn't even have family reasons. My family's all several-generation Australian.

Yet I've been told my accent is English, Scottish, Canadian, South African, Welsh - pretty much anything BUT Australian.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
        X