This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some computer help

I'm 100% sure I saw this somewhere on here before but..

I have too many things loaded onto my computer's startbar, and would like to get most of them off.

I've gone through every possible program and help directory on my computer, and I still can't figure out how to do it.

Suggestions?

I have fresh, home made popcorn!
    I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

OS type please?
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth The SO
      The Start Menu lives in a folder on your main hard drive (the one with Windows on it). You can open My Computer and once you find it, use it like any other folder. You can add/delete folders and shortcuts, though deleting things in the Start Menu folder does NOT remove the program from your computer.

To find where your Start Menu folder is,
      please refer to the below, which I copied from-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Start_menu

"Technical details

Users may add entries by creating various folders and shortcuts in the Start Menu folder, located in the hard drive. These appear in a separated section at the top of the Start Menu, or, if placed in the Programs sub-folder, in the Programs menu.

* In Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows Me, it is located in %windir%\Start Menu, or, if there are multiple users, %windir%\Profiles\username\Start Menu.
      * In Windows NT 4.0, the folder is located in x:\WINNT\Profiles\username\Start Menu for individual users, or x:\WINNT\Profiles\All Users\Start Menu for all users collectively.
      * In Windows 2000, XP, and 2003, the folder is located in x:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu for individual users, or x:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu for all users collectively.
      * In Windows Vista, the folder is located in x:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Window s\Start Menu for individual users, or x:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu for all users collectively.

In all examples above; x: represents the drive letter (C:, D:, etc...), You can acces it by clicking on My Computer on the Desktop or Start Menu. username represents the name of the user. These places can be easily accessed by right-clicking on the Start button, and clicking Open or Open All Users.
      Hope that was helpful.
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

...alternatively you can simply highlight whatever you don't want on the Start Menu, right click it and click Delete.....<cough>

Doesn't uninstall the program obviously, but clears it off the menu.

To remove the program + start menu entry, you need to be under Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.
        Last edited by Gravekeeper; 08-29-2008, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Belle, different Operating Systems will have different methods for this. If you are running windows XP go to the start menu, go to run, type in MSCONFIG, and go to startup.

From here you can uncheck items that you don't want to "Autostart" when you turn the computer on and get placed on the task bar.

Some of these items are required for your computer to function, either for internet, or printers or other external devices.

I have found that disabaling 1 or 2 at a time and then restarting to check functionality is the best rule of thumb.

I normally turn off as much as I can this way. One of my laptops I have turned everything off, but then again its an older laptop that I only use when I'm to lazy to grab the good one.

If you have Vista, I'm not sure if this method works though.
          My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

If the start up application is in the "start-up" menu. This is where right-click and selecting delete will remove it from starting up.

Another easy way is to use hijack this to remove start-ups. It should tell you exactly what file is trying to be started up. Then you can search the internet to see if that file is necessary or not.

Adobe reader and quicktime are one of those offenders. They have 2 or 3 startups that don't have to be running to actually use either one of the programs.
            I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Thanks, everyone!

When I asked for help, I didn't know that Becks and her finace were going to be staying here, and Mom asked Mr. Becks to do it.

I appreciate the help, though!

{passing out tons of fresh homemade popcorn}
              I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
                {passing out tons of fresh homemade popcorn}
                It's yummy, too.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth digilight View Post
                  Belle, different Operating Systems will have different methods for this. If you are running windows XP go to the start menu, go to run, type in MSCONFIG, and go to startup.

From here you can uncheck items that you don't want to "Autostart" when you turn the computer on and get placed on the task bar.

Some of these items are required for your computer to function, either for internet, or printers or other external devices.

I have found that disabaling 1 or 2 at a time and then restarting to check functionality is the best rule of thumb.

If you have Vista, I'm not sure if this method works though.
                  Disabling startup items in this fashion is suppose to be a troubleshooting tool only, which is why XP complains you're not running normally when you restart (until you tell it not to do so any more).

The best way to disable them permanently is to use the location to find the entry in the registry and delete the entry. This, however, should only be done by someone who knows what (s)he is doing.

For Vista, it's much easier. While Vista does have the System Configuration tool (MSCONFIG by another name) which does the same thing, there is another tool under "Windows Defender." From there, you click on Tools and then "Software Explorer", finally clicking "show all users" From here you can disable them, or re-enable them later. This method doesn't pester you when you reboot.

Eric the Grey
                  In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Working...
                  X