This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're wrong, just shut up.

Usually when people have "Please see photo ID" written on their cards I politely and quietly say to them as they're signing, "Just giving you a heads up that we can't accept cards without a signature, and even if you ask to show ID you still need one on the back as well. It's not our rule it's (insert whatever card company they happen to have)'s rule. This time it's no problem, but just for your safety you might want to squish your signature in there."
    Most people are a little confused(1), for some people it clicks that the added security is a good thing(2) -this is usually from the people who have had their cards stolen- and then there are others who will hear none of my tomfoolery(3).

Like the man yesterday.
    I was not actually dealing with him, but rather his wife.
    I asked fo ID, then as she was signing went through my typical speech. She was one of the #2 people, and repeated what I told her to her husband, who was bagging their items, and evidently was a #3 type of person.

Husband: *very snottily* She doesn't know what she's talking about. You don't have to sign anything.
    Me: *urge to kill... rising...*
    Husband: If she thinks you need a signature on there then she's sorely mistaken.
    Me: *whips out my trusty Visa cardholder agreement and holds it a foot from his face* Would you like to read this to make sure you're not the one who is sorely mistaken? Without a signature a credit card is useless. You'll see how that's mentioned right here where they say a card is void without a signature. If you hand me a card without a signature and refuse to sign it in front of me I will absolutely not accept it. My job is not worth losing over someone else's stubbornness.
    Husband: *won't even look at me* Hmmpf... I'll bet.

Sure, whatever the hell that means.

I realise I could have been more courteous with the whole situation, but the way this man spoke made my blood boil.
    He was a know-it-all jackass who was convinced I didn't know a damn thing about what I was talking about, and every syllable that oozed from his putrescent lips exhibited that, so I'm glad I put him in his place.
    Apparently so was the customer who was next in line behind them, because she was laughing silently when I turned around to start helping her.

I'll admit, I have "Check ID" on the back of mine, just to see if anyone will actually check my ID. I've probably had 3 people ask me in the last year. I've used my mother's card and different places with no problems.

And they wonder why identity theft is so prevelant.

Comment

Quoth Jbball View Post
      I'll admit, I have "Check ID" on the back of mine, just to see if anyone will actually check my ID. I've probably had 3 people ask me in the last year. I've used my mother's card and different places with no problems.

And they wonder why identity theft is so prevelant.
      I probably ask people to show me some ID 15-20 times a day. No lie.
      If your signature is illegible I want your ID.
      If your signature is MIA I want your ID.
      If you're a man whose name is Kelly, sorry, but I want your ID.
      If you tell me that you're using someone else's card or I see that you are (I highly doubt many women are named Frank) then I want the cardholder's ID, and I'm holding the card until they get their butts over here to sign for it or having the entire transaction refunded.
      If your signature on the slip does not match, with reasonable expectation, the signature on the card I want your ID. However the girl who had two busted fingers and a dislocated shoulder who was struggling to sign properly was exempt from this one.

I may be a bit of a hardass and I know it irritates some people, but this is part of my job and I'm not going to go back on what I know is right and how I know things need to be done.
      Last edited by rerant; 01-31-2008, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Rerant: I like the response - probably because that's how I see myself responding in a situation like that.

For the most part I try hard to be nice, or at least polite, to customers. If they're wrong about something, I'll generally try and correct them in a "nice" way so as not to embarass them.

However if they're a patronizing jackass, like in the OP, I have no problem being a bit more blunt.
        Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

Some people need a good bit "snappy"...lol.

Comment

awww, hugs* its ok, some ppl in this world still need to go through evolution. =3

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
              I probably ask people to show me some ID 15-20 times a day. No lie.
              well you'd never have to ask me-I keep my card behind my ID and always hand over both together I like saving time and making people's jobs easier*

*I also automatically have/hand over my ID at the bank, or when buying age restricted items
              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                *I also automatically have/hand over my ID at the bank, or when buying age restricted items
                Me too. I almost get confused when buying booze/cigs/paying with a check and they don't ask for my ID.
                "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                  well you'd never have to ask me-I keep my card behind my ID and always hand over both together I like saving time and making people's jobs easier*

Ditto...

My card also has a small note (card holder has scars on nose) because I do have scars from when I was bitten by a dog when I was younger. Very few people notice this but its nice when the cashier pauses and looks at me closely.

Comment

I'm a phone fraud rep for a large bank for a retail credit card, and spent way too much time behind a cash register and a customer service desk before that. So, I always hand my id with my credit card. The back of my card has my sig and CID on it.

I just want to thank you so much! Thank you thank you and THANK YOU. All day I deal with people who have had their cards stolen and or identity stolen. 80% of the time the perp could have been stopped if an ID check had been made! Seriously, we recently got a cardholder who was a 75 year old black gentlemen from TN, and the perp was a 23 year old white woman in NY. She had maxed out all this guys credit cards AND applied for cards.

To all of you cashiers and service clerks out there who check IDs and make the customers sign the cards, thank you. You are on the front lines of the id theft battlefield, and this fraud rep salutes you for a job well done. And for giving me less work! One less possible SC.
                    "Once is fate, twice is chance, three times more than circumstance" Fiona Patton, "The Stone Prince"

Comment

Having had a merchant account years ago, I'm with the OP on this. Make them sign their cards or just don't accept them. The cardholder agreement is very clear.

Also, for those that don't know this VISA/MC/etc. don't ever take a loss if there's a chargeback. The store itself does. So, you're actually protecting your employer, not VISA/MC.

Had I been in line because the asshole in the OP, I'd have chimed in with "yeah, you have to sign the card. Read the contract like you're supposed to."
                      "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
                        Also, for those that don't know this VISA/MC/etc. don't ever take a loss if there's a chargeback. The store itself does.
                        No wonder Visa told us at Chesterfield that we weren't supposed to check IDs any longer about a year before the store closed.
                        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

You have a pocket sized copy of the cardholder agreement? Where did you get that? I want one!
                          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Reminds me when I used be a cashier at MP. Had this one guy try and go off on my when I told him that he needed to sign his card and provide ID. I even pointed to the nice little notice above the signature area that stated "Authorized Signature- Not Valid Unless Signed" He and I held up the line for 3 minutes before other customers started getting on his case to show his ID.
                            Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                              You have a pocket sized copy of the cardholder agreement? Where did you get that? I want one!
                              One day they magically appeared in the cash office at work. Presumably from some sort of credit card company fairy.
                              I made sure I took a few: one to keep for myself and some to give away to customers who just refuse to take my word for it.

I don't know if it's possible, but if you want them at your work you could always try calling the card companies and asking if they can send you some.
                              We only have the agreement from Visa, but others may offer the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X