This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth rerant View Post
    One day they magically appeared in the cash office at work. Presumably from some sort of credit card company fairy.
    I made sure I took a few: one to keep for myself and some to give away to customers who just refuse to take my word for it.

I don't know if it's possible, but if you want them at your work you could always try calling the card companies and asking if they can send you some.
    We only have the agreement from Visa, but others may offer the same thing.

Is there any way that you could highlight the lines on the contract that state the card must be signed? Might make it even easier to convince them if you can direct them right to the exact quote.

I think most SC's still labor under the old ideal that not signing and writing 'see id' on the back would keep them safe, I know I'd seen that more than a few times in magazines back in the day. I've worked through identity theft, it sucks. You're saving them a Huge hassle, they should be thanking you instead of getting snotty.
    "You are the dumbest smart person I have ever met in my life!" Will Smith, 'I, Robot'.

"You LOSE! Good day, sir!" Gene Wilder, 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.

Comment

Quoth Snowbird View Post
      I think most SC's still labor under the old ideal that not signing and writing 'see id' on the back would keep them safe, I know I'd seen that more than a few times in magazines back in the day. I've worked through identity theft, it sucks. You're saving them a Huge hassle, they should be thanking you instead of getting snotty.
      Actually, if your card is stolen, then the person not only has the card itself, but a copy of the signature to copy, so they make it look legitimate when they use it. It's not perfect, but If all the cashier does, like most, is check the signature, then they've just spent your money (and yes, I know you can get it back, once you notice it...) Security experts have advised for years now that the credit card companies eliminate this restriction.

Personally, if I didn't have to sign mine, I wouldn't. I've signed it, and written "see ID" on the back, and it's still rare that someone asks.

Eric the Grey
      In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

i've seen my mom question sales ladies over that... when they don't check for ID and she's using dad's card.

they responded that it was "store policy to not check ID if a woman was using a man's card"

granted this was back in the late 80s / early 90s but... um women can steal credit cards too.

:eyeroll:

Comment

i would rather say sign it or im calling it in and if they dont cut it infront of them void the roder and ring up the card company to mark it as a suspesios card

Comment

Quoth SoBeLiz View Post
            To all of you cashiers and service clerks out there who check IDs and make the customers sign the cards, thank you. You are on the front lines of the id theft battlefield, and this fraud rep salutes you for a job well done. And for giving me less work! One less possible SC.
            I'm confused. A while back, didn't someone post the terms of usage for Visa and Master Card which state that a photo ID ISN'T required for the use of a signed card?
            Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
              If you're a man whose name is Kelly, sorry, but I want your ID.
              I've known guys named Angel, Kelly, Terry, Kim, Lauren...should I go on?

What about women named Sam?
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
                Actually, if your card is stolen, then the person not only has the card itself, but a copy of the signature to copy, so they make it look legitimate when they use it.
                On the other hand, if your card is stolen and doesn't have a signature, the thief can simply add a signature themselves, and won't even have to go to the trouble of forging yours.

So personally, were I to steal your card, I would prefer you hadn't signed it.

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post

I think the general idea was that if there is any reason to think that the person with the card is not the authorized card-holder, then they are going to be asked for ID.
                  Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post

Yes. And women named Chris, Bobby, or any other name that would lead me to question whether or not they are the cardholder.
                    I'm not doing it to be an ass, I'm doing it because I'm supposed to.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                      One day they magically appeared in the cash office at work. Presumably from some sort of credit card company fairy.
                      I made sure I took a few: one to keep for myself and some to give away to customers who just refuse to take my word for it.

I don't know if it's possible, but if you want them at your work you could always try calling the card companies and asking if they can send you some.
                      We only have the agreement from Visa, but others may offer the same thing.
                      Hmmm.....I'll have to see if I can get my hands on some.
                      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth ringflinger View Post
                        On the other hand, if your card is stolen and doesn't have a signature, the thief can simply add a signature themselves, and won't even have to go to the trouble of forging yours.

So personally, were I to steal your card, I would prefer you hadn't signed it.
                        My signature has worn off my card. Twice. I finally gave up & signed with a sharpie. It's blurry, but still there.
                        I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Quoth TryNotToBeThatOne View Post
                          My signature has worn off my card. Twice. I finally gave up & signed with a sharpie. It's blurry, but still there.
                          I've found that the really fine-point Sharpies are pretty much useless, since the line is so thin it wears off almost immediately. Someone once told me that a swipe of clear nail polish over the signature will help keep it in place, but I haven't tried it yet.
                          Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                            I probably ask people to show me some ID 15-20 times a day. No lie.

I may be a bit of a hardass and I know it irritates some people, but this is part of my job and I'm not going to go back on what I know is right and how I know things need to be done.

Good for you! I always make it a point to thank people who check my ID or match signatures, on the rare occasion that it happens. I'm amazed that people get annoyed about it, really, when it's protecting them.

Granted, I've had issues where I can't use my card because it still has my maiden name and my driver's license has my married name, but who's fault is that for not having gone to the bank? Yep, mine.

Comment

You don't even need to pull out the card holder agreement on all of my cards right below the signature line it says "Authorized Signature Not Valid Unless Signed" so it is right on the card.

Last time I worked retail I asked everyone for there ID even if the card was signed I had one lady try flashing her ID and turning her head away from me so I couldn't see her face. Finally I had to tell her she needed to hand me the ID when she handed it to me again she kept her head turned away from me. I pretended like I was done and she turned to take the ID I could tell it wasn't her and refused the transaction. She didn't say anything just stormed out of the store.

Comment

Quoth TryNotToBeThatOne View Post
                                After I sign my card, I put a piece of transparent tape across it. It keeps the signature fresh until the card is replaced.
                                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                                X