This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were we being SC's?

Last night, the bf and I went to TGI Fridays.

We were seated quickly by the hostess and commenced looking through the menu. It took a little longer than normal for a waitor to come to our table. We had time to figure out what we wanted to order before we even recieved our drinks. But, no big deal, it was a Sunday night.

I ordered soup, salad and some mashed potatoes. I recieved the soup and salad, but the waitor forgot my potatoes.

There was a long wait for everything and our drinks were refilled once through our meal. When he finally did come around to check on us, he refilled bf's drink but not mine.

When it came time to pay, he handed the BF the check and left. The BF pulled his card out becuase we didn't have enough cash to pay a decent tip. We waited, and waited, and waited, and waited. We decided not to wait anymore and just left the cash. The cash covered the bill, but there was only enough left for a 6% tip.

I felt awful about it. He was nice guy, really polite and not rude at all. And I'm always of the state of mind that there could be soemthing else going on in the kitchen, or maybe he was covering another section. I don't know, I didn't see him waiting for anyone else. You could tell where his section was, it was pretty defined, and there were just us and another couple. So, he wasn't bogged down with customers.

I don't know. I wanted to pay with a card so we could give a good tip, but we wanted to get home, so we just left. I still feel really bad about it. At least we didn't dine and dash(don't worry we would never do THAT)!
    Check out my cosplay social group!
    http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

I don't think you were SCs. Was the restaurant busy? How many waiters did you see? Was he rushing around?

Maybe he was new, or just not that good, or distracted or something, but he should have been back, or sent someone else back to pick up the check. If he can't be bothered to do that, then he got the tip he deserved.

Please note: I'm usually a minimum 20% tipper. But it doesn't sound like he was making much of an effort.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Honestly? If it weren't busy and he wouldn't be flagged down, I'd not have tipped.

In my neck of the woods, there is no waiter/delivery driver difference pay. They make the same as everyone else, plus tips. I don't find it prudent to tip unless its out of area.

You were excellent for what you did try to do.

Comment

Ditto. No tip earned, none deserved.
        You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Frankly, I think 6% is fine in this case. It's still *a* tip, and being a friendly waiter being given the benefit of the doubt only gets you so far. I do need to point out that this guy completely and totally brought this on himself.

If he'd been more attentive, even if just right at the end, he'd have gotten a larger tip. His own actions made that not possible. You can't force money down his throat.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
            I don't think you were SCs. Was the restaurant busy? How many waiters did you see? Was he rushing around?

Maybe he was new, or just not that good, or distracted or something, but he should have been back, or sent someone else back to pick up the check. If he can't be bothered to do that, then he got the tip he deserved.

Please note: I'm usually a minimum 20% tipper. But it doesn't sound like he was making much of an effort.
            The restaraunt had customers, but it wasn't slammed, nor was it that slow. I would describe it as "steady".

I'm glad you all are in agreement with my decision, the situation was bothering me a little. It helps to know that you would have done the same and that I was justified.

Comment

I'm in agreement as well. If he was generally nice and polite, I'd be with you in feeling a bit badly about it, but at the same time, being well-mannered only gets you so far. Sounds like he basically ignored you guys, did not make a great effort to keep you happy, forgot food and refills, and didn't make any effort to come back and take the check. So yes, in the end, he brought it on himself.

I'm another one here who tips 15%-20% minimum and tries to be very conscious of how busy the restaurant is in how I judge the waiter's actions, but if the restaurant doesn't appear to be super-busy, the waiter doesn't apologize for being so absent, and it seems like he/she is just distracted, I'm not likely to take pity and tip well.
              "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

You left too much. I start them out at getting 20 to 25% in my head. The service and attitude determines how much it goes down, sometimes the service has been so good it went up.

I might even have made a complaint.
                GFY

Comment

My husband and two friends went out to eat a few nights ago. Our waitress was very nice, but completely unavailable. There were very few customers in the restaurant and we were a little anxious that we had to wait ten minutes between flagging her down to ask for things that were already requested (sour cream, water, coffee refills.....). When we finally were ready for the bill, our friend went to find her. It had been thirty minutes since we had last seen her. He found her, washing dishes in the back. We felt so bad that we were frustrated with her and she was having a horrible night. Shortly before we left, we saw a guy come in wearing an apron and assumed he was the late worker she was covering for. I understand having to bust your ass because someone else is lazy, we left a heavy tip (40%), so hopefully her night got a little better.

Comment

Quoth huckster View Post
                    My husband and two friends went out to eat a few nights ago. Our waitress was very nice, but completely unavailable. There were very few customers in the restaurant and we were a little anxious that we had to wait ten minutes between flagging her down to ask for things that were already requested (sour cream, water, coffee refills.....). When we finally were ready for the bill, our friend went to find her. It had been thirty minutes since we had last seen her. He found her, washing dishes in the back. We felt so bad that we were frustrated with her and she was having a horrible night. Shortly before we left, we saw a guy come in wearing an apron and assumed he was the late worker she was covering for. I understand having to bust your ass because someone else is lazy, we left a heavy tip (40%), so hopefully her night got a little better.
                    That's what I thought might have happened, but it wasn't like they were understaffed. I saw plenty of waitors for the amount of customers in the restaraunt.

Comment

The only bad restaurant experience I ever had was at Chili's not too long ago. My friend and I sat for quite awhile without being acknowledged, then our waiter passed by and just kind of tossed our silverware onto the table without even saying anything. It took forever to get anything. Everyone else in our section had the same problem, as our waiter would disappear for ten minutes at a time. And I'm not one who complains about restaurant service, but geez. I still left a good tip though. Knowing that waitstaff pretty much rely solely on tips for their income, I don't think it's fair to stiff someone or give a very small tip as long as all of the basics were done - as long as I get my drink, and then my meal, that's all I need. Refills aren't an issue for me, as I never have more than one glass of soda or juice at a single meal. I go into restaurants already knowing that I'm going to tip 20% no matter what. I don't expect my waiter to do anything special to earn the tip, as I think bringing me my drink and meal is good enough. Plus I'm aware that they do a lot of sidework for which they also don't get paid.

But I think in your case you were justified and didn't have much of a choice. When you're done eating you want to go, not sit around and twiddle your thumbs. If something was holding your waiter up he should have apologized and explained what was going on, but he didn't do anything like that. So, you did what you could.

Comment

I don't care that waitstaff relies on tips for their income. They should behave like it does.

Bad service, no tip.

Good service, great tip.

It's just that simple.
                        "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

There were a lot of days when I worked as a cashier that I was so slow and borderline rude, due to the fact that I'm moody and realized by trial and error that I should NOT be in customer service *L* Still, I showed up and did my job even if it wasn't with a skip in my step or a smile on my face. I would have been pissed if I didn't receive my paycheck, or received only a tiny portion of what I was owed.

It sucks for waiters and waitresses that they are totally at the mercy of patrons. But even if they don't work to your personal standards, that doesn't mean they aren't working at all, and they still deserve to get paid.

Comment

Quoth Sableonblonde View Post
                            I would have been pissed if I didn't receive my paycheck, or received only a tiny portion of what I was owed.

It sucks for waiters and waitresses that they are totally at the mercy of patrons. But even if they don't work to your personal standards, that doesn't mean they aren't working at all, and they still deserve to get paid.
                            This is why I always tip *something* but I let the waitstaff's behavior determine how much that something will be. And I'm lenient - if you're great about getting everything out quickly and getting refills/extras/etc, I'll forgive a slightly dull/moody attitude. And if you're a bit slow or absent-minded, I can forgive if you're friendly and polite. Heck, my favorite waiter (who I'm now friends with, through a strange twist of circumstances) is a bit on the slow/forgetful side, but he's so sweet, I can't help but <3 him.

On the same hand, when I worked as a server, and as a valet, both jobs that involved tips, I always knew that part of what I was being paid for was to basically put on that show - to leave my life out of it, and be polite and friendly, while being efficient.
                            "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

I've always tipped well. Slightly more then I used too since dealing with customers. I never really had a bad experience. Til one day. It was the ONE time me and my mom didn't leave a tip. We went to one of our favorite restraunts. We were nervous because it had new owners. We came in. The waiter on duty basically pointed at a table, before going back to a phone. Ok.. maybe he's the only worker on duty, and is trying to call for help? So we waited. and waited. and waited. Finally someone else came in to wait on us. Mom wanted water. I wanted pepsi.
                              We waited. and waited. and waited. and waited. Finally got our drinks. During that lon wait, we had AMPLE time to look over the menu, so we both knew exactly what meal, two sides, appertizers, sauce that we wanted. Naturally the waiter just dropped our drinks and left.

Waited 8 more minutes before my mom just said F it. We got up. Went to the counter. and waited. and waited. Finally the manager came up. asked what was up. Mom gave him a growl, but said we been here half a hour, with basically no service. Manager said he'll deal with it. Mom said No, let me pay for the soda, and we'll leave. Manager said be one moment, he has to clean up a table. Mom kinda just growled, threw two bucks on the counter, and we left.

Now check that out. Two workers. One manager. The one on the phone? Talking to his girlfriend, rather ..um... well, I hope it was his girlfriend and not a 800 number. Now maybe it was busy? Nope, we were the ONLY customers. Maybe close to closing or just open? Nope, 3 pm on a SATURDAY.

So we didn't go there for a while. Then we decided to give it ONE last chance. The place was PACKED like Sardines. We got a clean table within four minutes. We got our drinks within 3 minutes. We got waited on for our food quickly. We got our food at a great time so it was cooked and GOOD. Our waiter ROCKED. We told him that we didn't like it last time, but he changed our minds. He kinda shrugged, and said that the owners hired really bad workers but got rid of most of them. The meal costed about 60 bucks. Forty for the meal. 20 for the tip.

W0w. That was long. O_O Point is., you tipped fairly for what had happen. Just because your a waiter, doesn't mean you get free tips. You do earn them for doing good work. that's why its a tip. Tips are a PRIVLAGE, not a RIGHT.
                              Military Spouse Support.
                              http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                              Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Working...
                              X