This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miscellaneous Dumbness (long)

Haven't had any major SCs lately *knock on wood* but plenty of small moments of stupidity. One should be under "Morons in Management" but wasn't worthy of its own thread.

Yes, sales END

SC: Excuse me, is this on rebate? *points to a phone*

Me: Not at the moment.

SC: Well, it was on rebate [by which he meant "on sale"] two weeks ago.

Me: Well, that sale ended.

Which considering the look that flitted across his face before he stammered out an acknowledgement, was a completely alien concept. He must have been thinking of "Everywhere Else" where sales never end and the price just keeps going lower until they pay you to take it away.

I know it says it isn't, but is it?

SC *holding a draft-N wireless router*: It says here *pointing to fine print* that this isn't guaranteed to be upgradable when they release the final wireless-N specification. So......is it guaranteed to be upgradable? (Emphasis mine)

Me: No.

SC: Oh.......

Pardon me while I slip into a vegetative state due to the massive brain damage you just caused.

Besides the obvious, I mean......

Just when I thought I'd recovered from the previous question......

SC: You know, I've been trying to figure this out, maybe you can help me?

Me: Yes?

SC: I've noticed that some of these monitors are squares, and some are rectangles. What's the difference between the two?

Me: Um.....that IS the difference. *elaborates a little about aspect ratios and so on*

SC: Well, why would I want one that's a rectangle?????

Clearly, you don't.

PEBKAC Award

(Camera and Chair in this case)

Non-customer and her mother came in with a camera they did not purchase from us looking for help because the flash wasn't firing.

Despite having never seen this camera before, and not having access to the manual (which they at least should have had) I quickly located the FLASH button and pushed it, then took a picture and the flash fired.

They were both dumbstruck.

It had been set to OFF. I showed them that the button cycled from OFF, to AUTO, to ON.

Come again?

Not sucky, but completely out of left field.

Old Guy: Do you know a good place to buy cheap cigarettes?

Yes, I'm the perfect guy to ask because I work in an office supply store and REEK of cigarette smoke like you.

(Actually, I don't smoke).

Are you arguing with a customer?!

*Siiiiiiiigh* For the 63,152nd time, staples.com DOES NOT LIST IN-STORE AVAILABILITY OF ITEMS!!!!!!!! I don't care how long and hard you want to argue with me about it, it just doesn't. It never has. Probably never will, either.

So this guy was looking for some Pitney-Bowes ink and didn't find it on the shelf. He was very upset because he claimed the website said it was in-stock. I politely told him it did not, which he refused to believe. After a couple rounds going back and forth, he blurted

"Are you arguing with a customer?!!?!"

Only insofar as you are arguing with me, sir.

Then it turned out that the item he wanted was *right* there on the shelf, staring him in the face the whole time. He said he thought it was just a placeholder tag. Apparently blister packs don't look like real product.

Can I get it sooner than soonest?

Guy wants to order a GPS system we don't carry in the store. After looking the item up (which was in itself a challenge since he didn't have a SKU, item name, or even a brand. Just "the one for $269") I see that the soonest it can arrive is 5 business days (which meant Friday the 15th. This was on Friday the 8th).

Remember, this is the SOONEST it will come in.

SC: Is there anyway I can get it faster than that? I need it for Tuesday.

OH NOEZ!!! THE CLOCK!!!

In the past week, we've had not one, but two customers decide that it was easier to pay us $39.99 to program their fax machines rather than try and figure it out themselves. One even had us record the answering machine message for them. Why they'd want a stranger's voice on their answering machine is totally beyond me, but hey, more money for the store.

The second guy (the one who had us record the message) returned the fax machine and demanded a refund of the $39.99 setup charge.

Why?

In the time it took him to get the fax machine home and plugged in after we programmed it, the clock had lost the correct time. Everything else was fine, but he felt that because he had paid for the clock to be set, we should dispatch a tech out to reset the clock for him for no additional charge.

Needless to say, we refused to dispatch a tech for something so trivial unless he was willing to pay for that, so he returned everything.

WTF? STOP CALLING!!!

Morons in Management

Alice, our Ops Manager, is a hardcore Staples lifer. She's been with the company for nearly 20 years. Nothing wrong with that, except that she's practically married to the place. She constantly stays on extra hours when she doesn't really need to (she's salaried, so I have no idea what her incentive is) and always calls in on her days off.

Last week she was on vacation. She called on Friday. I answered the phone.

Alice: Can I talk to Steve?" (the GM)

Me: You just missed him. He left to go to lunch a minute ago.

Alice: Well....is he still there?

Me: No, he LEFT to go to lunch.

Alice: Oh.....

Me: Would you like to talk to Al instead? (MOD)

Alice: No, that's ok. Bye.

Me: OK, bye. *release*

Me: *into dead receiver*: YOU ARE ON VACATION!!!!! STOP CALLING!!!!!!!!!!!

Not even ten minutes later, she called again and asked to speak to Al.
    Last edited by Dave1982; 02-12-2008, 05:05 AM.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

I find it amazing that many people don't even bother to read the instruction manual that comes packaged with electronic equipment. & when you point out that little tidbit out to them then they act all surprised.

Comment

My brain just collapsed in on itself....

Comment

In camera flash? The best thing to with that is blu tack it down and use a proper unit! Unless of course its a compact then you've got no choice methinks...
        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Geez, Dave. Did you swallow a Stupidity-Magnet or something?

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
          SC: Well, it was on rebate [by which he meant "on sale"] two weeks ago.
          Me: Well, that sale ended.
          At least they're not coming in with a quarter-sized piece of paper cut out from one of your store's ads from MONTHS ago and demanding the sale price for a product you no longer carry, sending the customer service reps into a frenzy trying to find the item and figure out why it's not showing up at the sale price in the computer until you finally come along, getting almost nostalgic seeing a long-lost SKU, only to explain the situation to the customer and have them wait to get mad until AFTER you have shown them a model similar to but newer, better, and CHEAPER than the one they wanted originally. Ugh.

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
          Come again?

Not sucky, but completely out of left field.

Old Guy: Do you know a good place to buy cheap cigarettes?

Yes, I'm the perfect guy to ask because I work in an office supply store and REEK of cigarette smoke like you.

(Actually, I don't smoke).
          Nice to see that I'm not the only person to have that experience. Every time I walk through the downtown area of my city (usually to go to my favorite used book store), some random pedestrian coming opposite me will ask me for a cigarette. I don't smoke. Never have. But I get asked all the time. I'm assuming they're just asking everyone they see, but it still throws me off every time.
          I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
          - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
          - IPF

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
            Every time I walk through the downtown area of my city (usually to go to my favorite used book store), some random pedestrian coming opposite me will ask me for a cigarette. I don't smoke. Never have. But I get asked all the time. I'm assuming they're just asking everyone they see, but it still throws me off every time.
            Too bad smokey treats are so expensive nowadays. You could carry a pack for such emergencies.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Every time I walk through the downtown area of my city (usually to go to my favorite used book store), some random pedestrian coming opposite me will ask me for a cigarette.
              I know a guy, every time he gores downtown, some random pedestrian asks him for drugs. Apparently he looks like a dealer.
              The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                WTF? STOP CALLING!!!

Morons in Management

Alice, our Ops Manager, is a hardcore Staples lifer. She's been with the company for nearly 20 years. Nothing wrong with that, except that she's practically married to the place. She constantly stays on extra hours when she doesn't really need to (she's salaried, so I have no idea what her incentive is) and always calls in on her days off.

Last week she was on vacation. She called on Friday. I answered the phone.

Alice: Can I talk to Steve?" (the GM)

Me: You just missed him. He left to go to lunch a minute ago.

Alice: Well....is he still there?

Me: No, he LEFT to go to lunch.

Alice: Oh.....

Me: Would you like to talk to Al instead? (MOD)

Alice: No, that's ok. Bye.

Me: OK, bye. *release*

Me: *into dead receiver*: YOU ARE ON VACATION!!!!! STOP CALLING!!!!!!!!!!!

Not even ten minutes later, she called again and asked to speak to Al.

Offtopic, but my mother is the kind of parent who acts like one of those manager from hell control freak types, and tries to run everything about your life for you. OK, maybe I'm exaggerating, but I'm a seventeen year old, it's my last year of captivity, I'm allowed to hype up getting away, right?

She went out of town for a month to celebrate retiring. Every single day I would get a call from her, and almost every time it was the same thing. She wanted to know everything about my day, every detail about school, and everything any one of my friends said. She would then proceed to try to advise me on what I should be doing instead of wasting my time with my friends. After about three days I started telling her right off the bat: "Mother, you are on vacation, and there is no need to call me every day, however, if your addiction to forming words into a telephone requires, I'm willing to talk to you about anything NOT pertaining to the specifics of my life. If you try to push something about me specifically, you WILL be hung up on."

Yes, I was harsh, but I had really been looking forward to a month of no middle-management-mom giving me detailed instructions on things she had no idea how to do.
                "Darling, you are a bitch. I'm joining the Navy." -Cinema Guy 4/30/2009

Comment

Geez, Dave. Did you swallow a Stupidity-Magnet or something?
                  Damnit! That Chick Magnet dealer LIED to me!!!!! I am SO going SC on him......

Seriously though, I must have. And this has been pissing me off to no end. Thankfully, I know when I am close to burning out, and put in for some extra time off. So starting now, I have 6 of the next ten days off, including a 3 day stretch off!

Gonna be soooooooo good.
                  "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                    I find it amazing that many people don't even bother to read the instruction manual that comes packaged with electronic equipment. & when you point out that little tidbit out to them then they act all surprised.

GUILTY!

I always fiddle with my new toys before reading the manual. I'm like my grandpa, figure the toy out first, THEN read the manual.

The only way to get me to call tech support is if the thing is really, really stump-worthy that even the Manual can't help me.
                    Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Non-customer and her mother came in with a camera they did not purchase from us looking for help because the flash wasn't firing.
                      what frightens me more is that they probably DROVE there.
                      look! it's ghengis khan!
                      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                        I know a guy, every time he gores downtown, some random pedestrian asks him for drugs. Apparently he looks like a dealer.
                        The same thing happened to me and my friends on our beach trip 20 years ago. When we were on the boardwalk late and night, every other person either wanted to sell us drugs or buy drugs from us. They're lucky we weren't a bunch of young-looking cops.
                        Sometimes life is altered.
                        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                        Uneasy with confrontation.
                        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                        X