• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thieves also lie? No way!!!

Phone call from last week:

Cast of characters:
    Me
    SND (sucky non-donor)

Me: Thank you for calling the Make A Wish Foundation. How may I help you?

SND: YOU PEOPLE ARE A BUNCH OF REAL SHITS, YOU KNOW THAT? HOW DARE YOU TREAT PEOPLE LIKE THIS??!!!

Me: What seems to be the problem, Sir?

SND: My wife got a call from you people yesterday asking for money and when she said she could not give at this time they called her cheap
    and told her that karma would get her and thanks for nothing and hung up! How can you do that to people?!!!

Me: I am very sorry that your wife was treated like that but the Make A Wish Foundation NEVER calls people for donations. Nor do we EVER e-mail
    donation requests. Whoever called you was a scammer trying to get your credit card info and/or "donation" money to steal from you and they are in no way
    associated with us.

SND: Then why would they say they were from Make A Wish?

Me: (thinking-"Well what are the odds of someone trying to steal your money and ID also LYING to you?!) That is how they get people to give them money and the
    information they want. We have been trying to stop it but there are a lot of scammers out there using our name because it is so widely known.

SND: Well I find that hard to believe that they could get away with that but thank you for explaining it to me. I MAY call back to donate some other time.

Me: Well thank you for calling and have a great day. Bye. *click*

Do people really think we could get away with something like that and still be around 20+ years?
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

It just goes to show how many gullible people there are out there. This guy must be pretty naive to think that there aren't people out there willing to make a buck by preying on people's generousity by appearing to be someone you'd trust. It's no different than e-mail phishing, except on the phone they have more weapons at their disposal to prey on your guilty conscience to try and get you to crack.
    A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

hmmm? There's a bridge in New York I'd like to sell to that guy...lol.

Comment

Seriously, I can't tell you how many people will say in response to bad news, "My software can't be an illegal copy. [The scammer I bought it from] *told* me it was legal."

Then they give you that expectant pause as if they've just proven their claim.

So I actually have to *point out* that scammers are often liars too, which usually seems to surpise them.
        The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Yeah, we would also get the ones that registered the software and then sold one copy to someone. So naturally when they lost or messed up the copy and tried to get help, they were out of luck. But on the bright side, we would put a note in the registered user' record so THEY couldn't get tech support or anything until they could prove they had the other loads somewhere, which they couldn't because it was sold. Then we got to tell them that the software was no longer a valid copy since they violated the license agreement and they would have to buy a whole new package. :-)
          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

I bet someday soon we will see him on some current affair show saying that he is still waiting for his money from Nigeria and that he is sure that it is coming any day now, because why would they lie, even though the show just proved it was a scam.
            Am I sad because I am looking forward to the day when the people I will be dealing with will no longer be able to talk back?

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
              Seriously, I can't tell you how many people will say in response to bad news, "My software can't be an illegal copy. [The scammer I bought it from] *told* me it was legal."
              actual quote from a dodgy guy at a volunteer project I worked on (half the "volunteers" were being forced to be there in return for their unemployment benefit payments): "The [windows] license I have didn't work! How is that possible? I bought it off this thief I know."

and also, when I worked at a site that had a pre-pay policy to prevent drive offs:

SC who didn't want to pre-pay: "That's bullshit, you should get the government to act on your behalf."

Um yeah, stealing's been illegal since laws were invented...

Comment

sounds like the email i saw the other day when i did my monthly glance at my rarely-used hotmail account. (and the spam's why i switched to gmail heh).

email told me that bank account with chase had been accessed from a different location, so i had to "click here" to update my info. ... instead of emailing chase (whom i dont have an accout with anyway) i hovered over the link, saw the *real* web address, & emailed the people who owned the site about the spam.

Comment

i had something like this happen to me a little while ago, (i made a thread about it)

the guy had tried to get me fired because i would not let someone else use his card, i can understand frusteration if the person was his wife or something like that or was a buisness card that the person was authorized to sign on but this was not the case.

im sorry maam i can not let you sign for this card, it is not yours,

why not

cause you are not the owner of the card

im sorry its for the card owners protection (and ours) so that we make sure that the signer is the person who owns the card.

(here it comes)

we are a church group we would not try to scam you

(my reply)

do you know how many people would say that just to scam me.

needless to say the guy was mad because he had to come all the way back from "texas" to sign for the card, never mind the fact that he only too 20 mins to get here, and considering that we are in california, he either was not that far away or he drove really fast.

he caused a whole uprising when he got back to the store, tried to get me fired for doing my job, and ended getting 10% off his ticket for the inconvieance of me doing my job. (which by the way made me mad because he should not have been "rewarded" for his sc behavior)

i was never repremanded for the incodent, they asked me what had happend i told them, and the guy just sat there and said fire her for this. (thinking to my self) im like um for doing what im suppose to if i do get fired of this you can bet there will be a lawsuit over it.
                  "Let's connect to some ones cyberbrain who is meditating, so we can download enlightenment" one of the Tachikomas (Ghost in the Shell 2nd gig)

Comment

Working...
                  X