This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From long ago ..(for me)

I used to work in Meijers Dept store in Ohio. One evening during the Christmas season, some lady asked me to price check a toy. (I worked in the pet & garden (and seasonal)) dept which was right next door to the toy dept. Price check was simple enough: we used the phone system, punched in the code.
    She had a boingo ball (a relative of the koosh ball) and it price-checked at 14.99. I thought that would have been the end of it. Not so. (And this will give you an idea on how long this moron argued). I had to spell another worker for break: went to the outside garden section to man the cash register for customer purchasing christmas trees, wreaths etc. Approximately 15 minutes.

When I got back in, the same woman was in the hallway with 1 grey coat (manager) and about 4-5 redcoats, me included. She had 9 of these boingo balls in her cart and she wanted them for $4.99 because that was what the sign read.
    I looked at the shelf: it was an end cap and the card read 'koosh balls: $4.99.
    Now, there is a world of difference between a koosh ball (a glorified rubber band golf ball size ball) and this boingo ball which was near the size of a basketball. There is a law (at least in Ohio) that you can have a price for an object on an endcap, even if more expensive items are there, as long as that item is in fact the price on the card. Therefore, the boingo ball had every right to be there AND be sold @ $14.99.

Needless to say, that reference to the law did not phase cheapie who restated that she wanted the boingo for that price and 'how dare they have that price on the end cap. I made the mistake of telling her that the toy price checked at $14.99. She whirled round on me and said loudly "YOU DON'T WORK IN TOYS!!" (So this makes me too STUPID to look up a price??? You don't get my sympathy or support with that) and proceeded to rip the sign off the end cap and toss it on the floor.

The manager refused to cave and at that, cheapie lady takes all the boingo balls packed in their little cardboard boxes and THROWS them at everyone (me included) and marches off in a huff. I never saw stock picked up so fast off the floor, replaced on the endcap as fast as that crew did. Even the price card was replaced It was all back in place before cheapie went around the corner. I had expected her to go left to head out the store, but she went right.. Oh well.

The manager took a well deserved and needed break. I was going home and just before I punched out I saw her in the break room. I couldn't resist, stuck my head in the door and said "Isn't it nice to have such a kooshy job??"

I dont' remember what she threw at me but she missed

two cents ΒΆΒΆ

Thanks for the Balls, Ma'am! C U Next Tuesday. :-)
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

lol, at least you found humor in it. And welcome!
      We Pick Up the Pieces

Comment

wait you didnt volley it back, i would have i so would have reflected it back prayed it hit her in the face and then kicked her out but im not a boss.

Comment

Yeah, the minute a customer starts throwing things is the minute they go out the door. I like SnD's take, though, and would at least try to deflect it back hoping it would make contact. The SC would probably want to call the cops, at which point I'd declare I wanted to press assault charges against her for throwing it in the first place.

Comment

Working...
          X