This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had a wtf moment,

not sure if this is the right place for this, mods, kind of a tech help story, but then again might be off topic, move if you think its too ot,

[backstory] so i wanted to upgrade my tower because the setup i had wasnt working for me. i had a 3.2ghz p4 800fsb plugged into a 400mhz fsb foxconn mobo. i know this is not the best idea, but at the time i fubared my last mobo its all that newegg had. but thats another story all together.

so i ordered a new biostar mobo, 2.2ghz duocore and 2 gb of new ram... heres where mistake #1 was made. the proc is an 800mhz fsb, the mobo is 1333. didnt find this out untill i went to put it together (). called newegg and swapped it for a 3.0ghz core2duo and made sure that the fsb matched.

when the new proc came in i made mistake #2, didnt read the specs of my mobo well enough to see it needed a 24 pin ps. (yet another ) i had a 20pin. so i went and bought a new ps at 8:42 pm on a thursday night (much love and thanks to the cc people who helped me).

now here is where the started. get everything plugged in, pinned out, and seated nicely. now the board has 2 led lights that are a replacement for beep codes. (it still beeps but the tower i had didnt have a speaker so i had to follow the lights) both lights are black, the fans spin up but thats it. this happened when i tried the wrong proc, and wrong ps. so pulled everything out, put the old stuff back in and.....nothing..... no post, no beeps, just the fans spinning up. so im trying to figure this out. keep in mind the old stuff worked before i pulled it all out. i tried pinning it out again thinking maybe i screwed up, checked for cracks in the mobo, reseated everything. nothing. again

now i admit i had a bit of a temper when it comes to computers. i have roard like a klingon, thrown mice across the room when the died, little temper tantrums() . sadly i learned this all from my dad when he worked on cars (another post all together too) so i had to walk away lest i waste $400 in parts flinging them out the window and screaming.

2 days later i decided to try a new case... replaced everything else why not. put the old stuff in the new case, pinned it out, hit the switch and... beep, posts, boots..... and the whole time im . shut it down and tried the new stuff..... both lites are on, posts and boots... ..[end bs]

so my question is am i insane or did i make some rookie mistake with the case and need to be smacked with a frozen carp? or is there something about the case that i missed that others have seen and i can be smacked with a thawed carp? or is it a fluke and im just nuts(probably)
    This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
    my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Not enough details given. What are the cases? the mobo (just saying biostar's not much help)? etc. etc.

The only thing I can say is some cases and motherboards require you to hold the power button for just a few extra seconds (2 or 3 tops) to get the motherboard to power on, otherwise just the case fans spin up. I can only assume it's some sort of safety thing for the components in the event that something pokes the button when you're away.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

the mobo is this one

not sure who made the old case, i suspect anatech(sp?) the new case is a sexy thermaltake from bb. this one

as far as the power button question all the board/case combos ive used were instant on/ hold 5 sec off. both of the boards and cases are like this. also it wasnt just the case fans spooling up the cpu fan and the system fan powered by the board spooled up too, i could understand the switch idea if it was only the case fans that use the molex plugs. hence why i was so

Comment

Cool stuff. I'm willing to bet it's the power button thing though. My case is Thermaltake and it does that. Including the CPU fan and etc. It's weird, and that's my only theory as to why. And it's not a very good theory. But try the button thing. I also have to hold it a count of 8 to turn it off.

Comment

seems to be working fine now, the thread is a little late as i couldnt get online to ask about it. and im very happy with the combo i have, whats scary is that i can run updates and play wow with no noticeable lag

thanks for the opinion btw

Comment

Could you have had something plugged into the wrong set of pins on the board? I've done that before, and had similar issues, when the PC i was working all had things broken up into a bunch of 1- and 2- pin plugs rather than one fused plug like most use.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
              Could you have had something plugged into the wrong set of pins on the board? I've done that before, and had similar issues, when the PC i was working all had things broken up into a bunch of 1- and 2- pin plugs rather than one fused plug like most use.
              while possible, the light code on the mobo didnt show anything like that, nor did i get any weird beep codes when i plugged in the speaker i salvaged. but who knows, with my sausage fingers i could have miss pinned it, but to miss pin it 4 times? is my luck really that bad?

Comment

Quoth SteeleDragon78 View Post
                is my luck really that bad?
                Been there, done that.

Comment

Your old case could've been shorting the mobo out on the bottom (this happens a lot with the laptops and desktops i work on @ work). By replacing the case, you took away the part of the case that could've been shorting things

Comment

Working...
                  X