This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird error on some websites

I have this error that keeps popping up on certain sites- it says "internet explorer cannot open website operation aborted" and then the website turns into an error page. I googled it and found some explanations but it was stuff like "delete Google map API" and "remove Kontera Javascript code". I have no idea how to do these things, and it makes me kind of nervous to fiddle around with programs in my computer anyway, since I'm not all that knowledgable and I don't want to mess anything up. Does anybody have any suggestions?
    Also, I find it kind of ironic when I can't read a page with a possible solution to the problem because it gets shut down by the problem.
    It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
    -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Need pics, please.
    As soon as you get one of those popups, get us a screen shot (hit Prnt Scrn top right side of keyboard, paste into MS Paint and save as .jpg).

Get us the URL / Web addy that you're trying to hit, along with software specs (what OS, what AV, what Firewall) and your error, and then we'll be better to help you.

Thanks,
    Cutenoob
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Here's the image. As for the info, I'm using internet explorer, Windows XP home edition, AVG Free 8.0. I'm not sure what my firewall is. Some of the sites I get this on, besides notalwaysright.com are www.seehere.blogspot.com and http://www.kindertrauma.com

I hope that's enough to help you.
      -Helen Keller

Comment

Quoth mariamousie1 View Post
        Here's the image. As for the info, I'm using internet explorer, Windows XP home edition, AVG Free 8.0. I'm not sure what my firewall is. Some of the sites I get this on, besides notalwaysright.com are www.seehere.blogspot.com and http://www.kindertrauma.com

I hope that's enough to help you.
        I checked all three sites on both IE and Firefox. I don't get those errors on Firefox, but I do with IE. I believe it is the site in question that's causing this.

Perhaps there is a link in common to each that's causing this? Best guess is all I have to offer, other than it's NOT just you. I'll also add that this system is fairly new and doesn't have much in the way of non work-related stuff on it, except for Firefox.

Also, we do not use any firewall on the work PC's except for the Windows sub-par built-in firewall, and use Symantec as an antivirus.

Eric the Grey
        In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

No problem in Opera 9.51 using Windows XP Service Pack 2 either. I'm betting it's just some piece of coding on the sites that IE dislikes.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

i had this problem, and went to one of the help sites and if I remember correctly, I disabled my skype add ons (skype still works fine) - I'll see if I can find the instructions.

I do not get the error in IE anymore

Comment

Thank you! I hope we can work it out, they're all really good sites.
              -Helen Keller

Comment

http://consumerist.com/5032311/sitem...explorer-users
                Consumerist had an article on this situation happening. Since you likely won't be able to read the article, to fix:

1. Open Internet Explorer.
                2. Click on the menu Tools -> Internet Options.
                3. Click on the tab Security.
                4. Click on the icon Restricted Sites.
                5. Click on the button Sites.
                6. Under Add this website to the zone:
                Type the text ‘ *.sitemeter.com ’ (with asterisk and dot & without the quotes).
                7. Click the Add button. Click Close. Click OK.

Comment

It worked!!!!! Thanks so much!!!
                  -Helen Keller

Comment

That trick works great with ad servers too. Find out what ad server your favorite website uses and add it to the list and presso no ads.
                    I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind View Post
                      That trick works great with ad servers too. Find out what ad server your favorite website uses and add it to the list and presso no ads.
                      Firefox with AdBlock plus is even easier, Right click on the advert choose "Adblock this image" then delete back to the core and slap the asterisk in , like so "www.adserver.*"
                      Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Quoth Naaman View Post
                        Firefox with AdBlock
                        We know. But the OP wasn't using Firefox, and evinced no desire to switch. Opera's similar, but doesn't require a plug-in. IE probably won't ever have something that easy though, as killing ads is bad business for a company like Microsoft
                        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                          We know. But the OP wasn't using Firefox, and evinced no desire to switch. Opera's similar, but doesn't require a plug-in. IE probably won't ever have something that easy though, as killing ads is bad business for a company like Microsoft
                          Yeah, I know...

Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

It was a bug in SiteMeter code. They have resolved the issue according to their website.

Comment

Working...
                            X