This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic bags and children

This happened to me back in the Suncoast days. I believe it was about 1999-99.

I was learning something on the register with the SM. Customer walks in looks around. She didn't want any help and declined said help. She was pushing around a small child in a stroller.

Nothing out of the ordinary, right? Well, not until she was about to leave.

It's been a long time - I don't remember exactly word for word what the conversation was but I'll try to do the best I can recall...

SC: Can I have a plastic bag?
    (Now, our DM who was an insane micromanager, had a policy against giving out plastic bags. Our store was right next to the food court - so we became the give a bag to the people who want their "to stay" food now to be "to go". In the words of the DM, "bags are free with a purchase." This may sound silly, but when a box of small bags is about $50, and you give away 100 "free" bags to non-paying customers a week - it does add up...anyway..)
    SM: I'm sorry, we can only give bags out to customers.
    SC: I am a customer! I want a plastic bag!
    SM: Ma'am, you haven't bought anything, I'm not allowed to give out bags for free. If you have food that is leaking, I'm sure the place you bought your food at will give you a bag.
    SC: I don't have food! I want a bag for my child to play with!!!

SM & Luna:

Now SM was a mother of two toddlers of her own:
    SM: Bags aren't for children to PLAY with
    SC: Just gimme the bag
    SM: No, I'm not giving your CHILD a bag to play with.

and her parting gem, which I do recall exactly since it was two precious words:
    SC: YOU IGNANT!

SM & Luna:
    If you are thinking to yourself, "Hmmm, should I post this?" it should probably go HERE.

What's an ignant?
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
      What's an ignant?
      An ignorant gnat. Basicaly calling you a moron and a waste of space in the same breath.

As for the issue, I would have told her that the police would be phoned for child endagerment.
      Last edited by lordlundar; 10-27-2006, 03:48 PM.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

"What's ignant?"

This I would love to know. I've received many variation on what this means over the years of retelling the story. SM & I though it meant "ignorant" but the woman didn't know how to say it properly or it was a slang word for ignorant. The woman really wasn't very bright at all and was pretty trashy looking.

Thoughts?
        If you are thinking to yourself, "Hmmm, should I post this?" it should probably go HERE.

Comment

Maybe you should have given the mother the bag the play with herself...
          "Wait... he's alive, but his head's gone..." -Crow

Comment

This woman wanted her child to play with a plastic bag???

I won't even let my 28-year-old fiance play with plastic bags.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Well, I know there's a joke that you might be from Utah if you think "ignernt" means "rude." Maybe this is related?

If I wasn't worried about my job, I would've probably told her to go find a different store to help her endanger her child.
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post

that was hilarious
                Last edited by Ree; 10-28-2006, 09:28 PM. Reason: Quoted entire post

Comment

Why, thank you.

I think I should send myself to Reader's Digest.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I think there is a hick, white trash word, that I can't think of how it would be spelled, I have been trying to guess at it for awhile on google now...it's something like idgent ....I think it's some variation of the word indigent...which doesn't quite make sense because indigent means:

"In a general sense, one who is needy and poor, or one who has insufficient property to furnish him a living nor anyone able to support him or to whom he is entitled to look for support."

There is a country insult that sounds similiar to indigent and that's probably what she was trying to say...I wish I could find it because I've heard it muttered before too!
                    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

What's so funny and horrible about this is that most plastic bags say "THIS BAG IS NOT A TOY" right ON the bag!

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
                        I think there is a hick, white trash word, that I can't think of how it would be spelled, I have been trying to guess at it for awhile on google now...it's something like idgent ....<snip>
                        There is a country insult that sounds similiar to indigent and that's probably what she was trying to say...I wish I could find it because I've heard it muttered before too!
                        Idjit? Eejit? I'm out of guesses.
                        Unseen but seeing
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                          Becks, even Mom laughed when I told her.
                          I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

She called you ignorant.

"Ignorant" is commonly used as an insult by people who are...well...ignorant.

Comment

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
                              Becks, even Mom laughed when I told her.

Glad to know I have the power to amuse from so far away.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X