This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look who's back.. back again..

Okay, let's try this whole "life" thing again.

I think we left off somewhere after everything falling to shit with work, car, and home, plus heavy alcohol use.

So.. total 180. I've moved - in with mom, something that's a bit humbling when you're in your 30s. I've started college. And I started working at IKEA today as a part time cashier. The base pay isn't nearly as much as what I was making at the Whole (8.15 vs 11.45), but higher potential profit sharing, better benefits, and far greater flexibility in scheduling.

At the Whole, if you were a student, you had to turn in a copy of your school schedule, and they'd cram in as many hours as they could around it regardless of you telling them "Hey wait I need time to, you know, study, and commute"... I tell Ikea when I'm available and about how many hours a week I want, and they work with it. The only things I'm not really digging is drug testing (even though I gave up everything but Mary a long time ago, I'm still against it in principle) and having to wear something of a real uniform (Ikea polo, blue jeans or blue dockers), though I have greater freedom when it comes to piercings and tattoos. So far, anyway, everyone seems a bit more laid back too.

Quit drinking in September too, my health (physical and mental) has also done a 180.

So we'll see how it goes at the Blue and Yellow flatpack store. I already like that they have a real loss prevention department (the Whole didn't have a single dedicated LP person) and standard procedures in place for stuff like severe weather, fire alarms, etc. Now I just have to get familiar with their somewhat antiquated IBM registers.

edit: ugh, downside is... on days when I have both school and work, my complete commute will be around 50 miles. With several tolls.
    Last edited by bean; 03-23-2011, 01:21 AM.

Hey, welcome back! I was getting worried about you, given where you were the last time we heard from you. I'm glad to hear how much better you're doing.
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Doing much better. It was a rough few months while my brain tried to figure out how to cope with this "reality" thing without alcohol, but hey..

I figure it's never too late to go to college, especially if it's for a subject/degree you love (photography, for me).

Comment

I was wondering about you a week or so ago...
        Frankly, I'm glad you're alright. I'm also glad you're doing something you love-- and if you're going to school for it, then, Hey! Job!
        Granted, people like Squeaksmyalias can attest that it's not all giggles, like much in this world. But still, you get to make something beautiful, so I consider it a net gain.
        I am so glad I don't live around trolls.
        "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
        "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Tolls, like trolls, are evil. Thankfully though, you get a pretty hefty discount if you get a tolltag (transponder that goes on the windshield), something like 40% - and our tolls are pretty low.

I just checked my tolltag account, my trip to work was $1.92, coming home was $0.66.

So yeah, photography stuff - http://stateofbean.deviantart.com is my deviantart page, http://stateofbean.deviantart.com/gallery/ is the gallery. Totally not whoring myself out, really.
          Last edited by bean; 03-25-2011, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Glad you're back and doing well! Embrace the drive; it's time to yourself to think. I miss that now that I am a mile from work.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

He keeps coming back like a bad penny. Only, this is a good thing.

Sounds like you are getting squared away. Good luck with school and the job. May the SCs be few.
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Welcome back. Glad you're getting your life back on track. And don't feel too bad about living with your mom. I'm sure she loves you and enjoys having you around. Besides, between school and work you probably aren't there all that much.
                Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

I'm glad to hear things are going better for you.
                  "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth Teysa View Post
                    Welcome back. Glad you're getting your life back on track. And don't feel too bad about living with your mom. I'm sure she loves you and enjoys having you around. Besides, between school and work you probably aren't there all that much.
                    I'm not home that much, no. But she's bordering on "radically conservative"... and very vocal about it. I'm very liberal. So we butt heads a bit.

So far I've run into 2 people I know there - yesterday my downstairs neighbor from my old place came through my line. Today one of my old managers from the Whole came through.

I was sweating the registers a bit, but I got on them today. Ain't no thang. Some of the key sequences are the reverse from what I'm used to - such as to change quantity, you hit the number then QTY (QTY then the number at the Whole), or to enter tender you hit, say, CASH then punch in what they've given you at the Whole... on these you punch in how much they've handed you then hit cash. Hit cash without entering a number first and you've just cashed out the transaction. And oddly, these registers print each item on the receipt as you scan them, instead of printing the entire receipt at once. No logo on the receipts either. 1989 is calling, they want their registers back.

Oh. Twelve - yes that's 12 - self checkouts. D:
                    Last edited by bean; 03-30-2011, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X