This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Kid is a Computer Engineer!

I bet you know where this is going, don't you?

Customers can email us a photo to include with their ad. Works well with ads for puppies (because who doesn't like puppies?), less so with cars, but whatever, it's a thing we do. I always offer to email them so all they have to do is attach a photo to a reply and send back to me. You wouldn't believe how many customers can't even do this much.

Guy says he'll have his kid email the photo. I'm saying kid to keep it vague, but we're talking about an adult. I email the customer, never get anything back. Today he calls and tells me his kid tried to email me the photo but (a) "the email didn't work" (of course, kid typed it into the address bar, FFS) and (b) kid then went to our website and tried to find MY NAME on the list of contacts. 'Scuse me while I

I'm a sales drone. My name appears nowhere on the company contact list, especially not on the website!

Took me ten minutes to get this guy to understand that his "computer engineer" spawn was doing it wrong.
    Last edited by MoonCat; 09-27-2016, 12:45 AM.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

This reminds me so much of the thing I've said so many times.

I'm a software engineer/computer programmer. To my mother, that means I know everything about computers.

I don't. I can find my way around a computer, and I know how to Google for a lot of stuff I don't know how to do. She doesn't quite understand what I do, and I don't think she ever will.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Well, computers are the magic of the modern age.

Comment

I'd have more faith if spawn was a 'computer technician'.

As a technician, I've ungefucket too damn many engineering 'features' to trust them much. One of the more entertaining was an echocardiogram machine designed by a Slamford Ph.D. with each subsystem implemented (bluntly) by a different grad student. Blargh!
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

each subsystem implemented (bluntly) by a different grad student

Yeah, grad-student programmers do have a preference for blunt implements.

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
            each subsystem implemented (bluntly) by a different grad student

Yeah, grad-student programmers do have a preference for blunt implements.
            These were engineers... yah know: "Pie are round! Cake are square!" Half of the circuitry was level shifters, some boards were 4000 CMOS at 12V, others 7400 TTL at 5V or CMOS at 5V. I'm amazed there wasn't any ECL at -5.2V!

Had to shut down the CPU clock (8080A) during the echo return...
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

As a Computer *Systems* Engineer myself, I feel your pain.

Comment

Mouse-over text on that: "Hey, Megan, it's your father. How do I print out a flowchart?"
                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Update!

Guy called back the other day complaining that the pic showed the side of the truck and "it should be the front". Well, sorry, daddio but junior only sent us one pic - of the side (you know, the one you insisted was sooo important to show!). We took the photo off of his ad.

Then Friday he called AGAIN yelling that someone was threatening to sue him because the pic was supposedly copyrighted. I seriously doubt that, as it's very obviously an amateur photo, possibly taken by the son himself. It's no different than the dozens of pics we get from people who send in a pic of their car taken in the driveway.

Frankly I'm starting to wonder if this is his truck to sell, if you get my drift. Either that or it's been sold and he wants his money back. Whatever, dude. Give him the money back, at this point I have bigger problems and don't give a flying you-know-what.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                    As a Computer *Systems* Engineer myself, I feel your pain.
                    That would be the Lynda and Brenda flowchart.

Just don't push the RED button . . . . that might cause the entire building to self-destruct.
                    Last edited by EricKei; 10-22-2016, 11:51 PM.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post

Just don't push the RED button . . . . that might cause the entire building to self-destruct.
                      How can he possibly resist the maddening urge to erradicate history at the mere push of a single button? The beautiful, shiny button? The jolly, candy-like button? Will he hold out, folks? Can he hold out?

Comment

Quoth Deevil View Post
                        How can he possibly resist the maddening urge to erradicate history at the mere push of a single button? The beautiful, shiny button? The jolly, candy-like button? Will he hold out, folks? Can he hold out?
                        NO I CAN'T!!! *mashes the button*

[EOL]
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          NO I CAN'T!!! *mashes the button*

[EOL]
                          The reset button.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                          X