This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dentist visit sucked...

Apparently you can brush too much. WHO KNEW.

I have mild phobias about losing my teeth somehow, so I tend to brush three times daily and go nutbunnies while doing it. Don't want cavities and all that, you know! I also don't drink a lot of sodas (I have a weakness for tea though, but I brush afterwards), and tend to stay away from sticky candies.

Has that saved me though? NOPE. I've had three cavities, and now I find out today that my overly frequent brushing has exposed the root of one of my molars. Ow.

I guess I also passed this on to the kids, too. Youngest's furthest back, very last molars each have one spot of possible decay, and the oldest's front teeth have a spot of decay as well. Oldest's teeth have been like that for years, we make sure she brushes and flosses multiple times a day, but its still barely spreading. Both will need to go to a specialized kid's dentist for potential fillings. Dentist said its obvious we've been cleaning her teeth religiously, but that sometimes, "stuff like this just happens". Worst part is, oldest's teeth are loose, and they're expecting them to fall out within the year...but if the decay gets too much worse, it'll cause her pain. ><

Le siiiigh.....
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Ugh, that's horrible I'm very lucky in that I'm the only one in the family (both mine and married) that doesn't have fillings. I think it's coz my Mom put the Fear Of Mom into me; as my parents paid for 5 years of braces - if I lose my teeth before I'm 50, I'm a Dead Woman.
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I have a recurring nightmare about one (or more) of my teeth becoming loose and falling out. My grandmother was a dental hygienist so she pretty much pounded good habits into me. That being said, I haven't seen a dentist in years. Yeah, I know. I'm a bad boy. I need to get back into one. Need to find a good one first.
      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

The thing with dental health is, a good part of it is genetics. So brushing and flossing and all that is definitely something you need to do, it doesn't guarrantee you won't have problems.

Make sure you are brushing using a soft bristled brush and don't put lots of pressure. Small circles at a 45 deg angle, never scrub side to side.

Although your hygientist probably went over that with you.

If you've exposed the tooth that's normally beneath the gums, you'll want to switch to Sensodyne, otherwise that area will hurt like you won't believe when something pokes it.
        Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
          Words
          Sheesh, not even DENTISTRY is normal with you, is it, Seraph?
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I recently read a blog in which the author managed to partially reverse her tooth decay using fluoride rinse and ground up calcium tablets. It was interesting. I think I'd have to be pretty uncomfortable to try it, though.

http://lesliebard.blogspot.com/2012/...treatment.html
            Last edited by MadMike; 09-19-2012, 11:09 PM. Reason: Fixed link

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
              Sheesh, not even DENTISTRY is normal with you, is it, Seraph?
              ...Ain't that the tooth.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                ...Ain't that the tooth.
                Root! Root! Root! For the home team!
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                  Root! Root! Root! For the home team!
                  Now don't get all mouthy!

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                    Now don't get all mouthy!
                    Oh, great. I figured dalesys would have a pun to contribute, but you just had to start it, Seraph?

Fangs a lot!
                    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
                      The thing with dental health is, a good part of it is genetics.

This! I admit that I don't take as good of care of my teeth as I should. So far, two cavities (last in my early teens)
                      I do need to see the dentist every four months or so to check on a couple trouble spots. Doesn't help that plaque loves my oral chemistry. To the point that the only viable way to combat it is to swill anti-septic mouthwash every five minutes, at minimum.

Having said that, I got a great review on my last visit (earlier this week), and I hadn't done anything different since the previous visit. If anything, I would say that I had taken worse care of my teeth.
                      On more then one occasion, the dentist or hygienist has commented that for how I take care of my teeth, they are in far far better shape then they have any right being.

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                        Oh, great. I figured dalesys would have a pun to contribute
                        Yeah, I had a pool going to see when it would inevitably happen.
                        Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                          Yeah, I had a pool going to see when it would inevitably happen.
                          Did you have a dental dam around it?

Fmoke! Fmoke!
                          What?
                          FIRE!
                          [/Cos]
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                            Did you have a dental dam around it?

Fmoke! Fmoke!
                            What?
                            FIRE!
                            [/Cos]
                            My lowber lip is on the floobr!

Love that sketch.

Comment

*Hugs Seraph tightly* It sucks.. I had to have five fillings recentl, and I was being careful too.

Comment

Working...
                              X