This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do on a day off.

Since everyone here is so awesome and giving suggestions I thought I'd ask you.

I have this coming Friday off, first day since the beginning of the semester with both no school and no work, and probably on of the few days that will be like that until the end of the semester.

I don't want to spend the day at home, I want to get out and do something but can't think of what to do.

These are the restrictions
    I live in CT; and most of CT/ and or the Mass/CT line in the north/northwest part of the state are okay. Also I'm solo; and most things I find tend to be better when done in groups or with friends. Also I'm a working college student, so money is a little tight.

Also I don't want to do things that will let my mind wander to much so hikes/bike rides/kayaking are out.

Check your local Chamber Of Commerce website; many of them list upcoming festivals or activities, and many of those are free or low-cost. Same with the local alternative newspaper.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Do you have a museum or other similar attraction that you've been meaning to go to but never gotten around to visiting? Most such will have student discounts, too, so that'll help with the cost.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Two words: happy hour.

Yes, I know, I'm a drinker. But that is not why I bring up happy hour. You said you were limited on funds. Happy hour is a great way around this. Because many places have cheap or free food during happy hour, in addition to discounted drinks. Check around, see who has what, but there can often be some great deals. I have been to places that have free buffets for happy hour. Yes, free. And you know who clued me in on all this? My non-drinking mother, who suggested it when I was myself a struggling college student. Mom was right....I made out like a bandit.

So you can get cheap or free food, discounted drinks, and it's a very social environment, so you can meet new people, talk about this, that, and the other, or if you don't want to be social, it's a great opportunity for people-watching. And you gotta eat anyway, right?

Just a thought.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

I second the Happy Hour idea. See if there's a local bar mag in your area directing you into which places have what specials. I used to frequent a Place that would put out meatballs and wings with dinner rolls, all for free. I've seen plenty of people solo on happy hours, they're likely there for the same reasons you are.

Comment

Don't underestimate the power of a good library.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Hm. Want to go see the USS Nautilus? I can come and pick you up [even though I live in the eastern end of CT I just got a new to me momvan and wouldn't mind a random road trip.] I wouldn't be able to actually tour the boat, it is not handicapped friendly but it is a self tour with an audio thingy - but the shore museum though tiny is interesting if you are into military history.

Pity it isn't a Saturday, hubby is great at giving personalized tours of the Nautilus, I think he has been through her at least 20 times. I know I have toured her at least 6 times

And we could go for coffee and lunch on the way back or something.
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                Hm. Want to go see the USS Nautilus?
                Great, AD. now I want to go see the Nautilus!
                I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm debating on going to Mystic Seaport, as I've wanted to go back there ever since an elementary school field trip, and the town library has half price passes; but it is an hour and half drive down there.

Comment

Are there places of interest that you can stop and visit on the way to/from the Seaport?

Instead of just a destination trip, you could make it a land cruise, where you have things to do on the way to your destination, and then again on your way back.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

If you see Mystic, you can add in the Aquarium, and top it off with the sub museum, they are all within 10 miles. Though that is more of a really *long* day.
                      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I just checked the weather report for tomorrow. Rain all day; and considering how much I hate driving in the rain, it looks like I'll spend the day at home working on my English paper

I was starting to look forward to going to the seaport too.

Comment

There is always another day off. Mystic Seaport, Aquarium and Sub Museum are all open all year, not just seasonal.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                            There is always another day off. Mystic Seaport, Aquarium and Sub Museum are all open all year, not just seasonal.
                            True, hopefully I'll have a day off of no school and no work again sometime in the near future.

Although I didn't get any homework done. I spent most the day playing games on kongregate and making an apple pie

Comment

Quoth JPD View Post
                              I spent most the day playing games on kongregate and making an apple pie
                              A day with pie is never a day wasted.
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X