This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky Horror what to expect?

So my local cinema is playing Rocky Horror Picture Show this year and I've been DYING to go and see/participate. While I won't wear costumes, I do know that things can get....interesting.

So if I do go, what should I expect? I plan on going with some friends.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Be sure to sit in the very front.

Comment

Why?

Comment

Have you seen the film before? If not then a lot of the jokes or the audience participation may not make much sense!

Be prepared for a lot of laughing, some dancing, probably some more ahem, risque humour and basically a damn good time.

I've not seen the film with an audience, only the stage show, so my experience may have been different.
        "I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere and I'm here for the hell of it now"

Comment

If you've never been to a "live" show, they may "sacrifice the virgin." Each place differs but one I saw had them go to the front and sing "I'm A Little Teapot."
          I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

The Virgin Sacrifice is different everywhere you go. In both the Boston and New York ones, there was a fake orgasm contest.

There are call-and-response moments throughout the whole movie. Most movies also have a shadow cast - a group of people dressed up as the characters, acting out the movie on stage while it's projected behind them. Some are very, very good.

If you don't show up in at least a token attempt at a costume, the cast may try to strip you down to skivvies during the Virgin Sacrifice. This isn't a guarantee, and you always have the right to refuse, but some casts can be very persuasive. And it's really all in good fun. I find that a cute bra, fishnet top, and tight pants are usually enough to constitute a "costume." Or you can dress like one of the characters, before they're stripped.

If you haven't seen the movie before, I suggest having a viewing with your friends. That way, you can get a good feel for the music, and that might help you feel more comfortable with some of the participation.

Comment

Or sit with friends in the far back. That's what Kabe and I did the first, and only, time we went.

It was fun, but a little overwhelming.

You can also look up scripts for the audience responses before you go, supposedly, at least, that's what our friends told us after we left the theater.
              My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Geeze, it's been years. Probably a decade at the very least. Short list of stuff you might want to pack:

Lighter ("there's a LIIIIIIGHT....over at the Frankenstein place...")
                Toilet paper (to throw when Dr. Scott appears)
                Rice (to throw during the wedding)
                Water pistol (to make rain)
                newspaper (to provide shelter from rain)

Expect a lot of yelling, singing, dancing, and chaos.

I remember one person complaining to me that "the audience was yelling throughout the movie, I couldn't hear the movie!"

Um, yeah. That's the point.

Comment

In addition to the other things people mentioned, you will see many people bringing in cooked slices of bread. This may puzzle you, until they get to the point of the movie where they all for "A toast!" At which point the people will throw their toast at the screen.

It all makes sense, in a very loopy sort of way.

If you don't wear a costume, make sure you wear clothes that are not expensive or that are not near and dear to your heart, as you will get stuff on them. This is unavoidable.

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                  Most movies also have a shadow cast - a group of people dressed up as the characters, acting out the movie on stage while it's projected behind them. Some are very, very good.
                  My little sister was Magenta for many years at her local cinema.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

For sure do the Virgin sacrifice - I got a "best virgin" certificate when I did it and it kept me from getting grounded that night (my Dad thought it was hilarious thankfully).
                    For sure bring the basics that RecoveringKinkoid listed - those are universal. The response lines aren't universal, they are area specific (at least they were in the 80's) so kinda roll with it.
                    The movie itself is gloriously bad.
                    Are you going with people who have been before and can clue you in about the responses? That is the best part IMO. Also, if possible have them teach you the time warp dance but you can learn it during the movie too.
                    Is it only playing one night? If it isn't you may want to go back again (it is a little addicting).
                    Have a blast!

ETA now I'm going to have to see if they are playing it up on campus - they usually do around Oct.
                    Last edited by auntiem; 09-23-2012, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Also, if you are planning on having dinner before you go out, I'd skip the meatloaf. Bonus: you've had r-man's quote as your siggy for a while - woot! You'll finally get to see 'em!

Comment

Corset and top hat, and you'll be fine

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
                          Or sit with friends in the far back.
                          "**** the back row!"

... ahem...

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                          Geeze, it's been years. Probably a decade at the very least. Short list of stuff you might want to pack:
                          Most theaters won't let you do any of that because of the damage it does to the place.

And you forgot toast and celery.

Most places are ok with the TP and the newspapers (they can't stop that last one), but the food and water are almost universally a no-go around here and have been for at least 15 years (oh, god, do I suddenly feel old ). For the light, go with a mini-mag with the cap off - works well and can't be used to set anything on fire (thus not banned).

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Um celery?

I suspect that because it's only the second year they've done it, they probably haven't done a huge amount of callbacks, so there's no script. But I'll give it a shot.
                            I think the staff are trying to make it fun as well.

Hmm...maybe if I wear a pale skirt and shirt, I could pass as Janet Or a skirt, skivvy and apron and I'm Magenta! Whee!

I'm familiar with the Time Warp as it comes up a LOT at events involving dancing with my family (weddings, 21sts, 40ths etc.) So I know the steps.

I've also watched the Glee ep around Rocky Horror, so I'm familiar with most of the characters, albeit not all of them.

ETA: In terms of the stuff people have mentioned, I'll mark it down:

Toilet Paper: should be OK.
                            Newspapers: No problem.
                            Rice: Most likely a no-go for the reasons people have mentioned.
                            Toast: shouldn't be a problem, although just about anything food related gets crushed easily in my bag.
                            Water: Not sure, I think they're checking this out.

I'll make sure to wear old clothes just in case
                            Last edited by fireheart; 09-24-2012, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                              Most theaters won't let you do any of that because of the damage it does to the place.
                              Might just be a local thing in your area, as I've never heard of any such restrictions.

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                              And you forgot toast and celery.
                              Celery? Explain....

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X