• Time
  • Show
Clear All

can anyone please explain the celery?
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
      -I do have a copy of Rocky horror at home, so I'll be sure to actually WATCH it first
      If you've never actually seen the movie, don't you DARE watch it for the first time at home. That will ruin so much of the fun and novelty of seeing it for the first time with all the crazies that regularly go to those shows!

Now, if you go and the side stuff keeps you from following the full plot (very understandable) and you want to watch it at home AFTER the theater show for some personal clarification, that's a whole different matter. But watching it beforehand? Oh, hell no!

Racket Man, I am so going to have to ask my little sister about the whole Smurf Killing Tally, as I can't remember ever having seen that, but I've only seen RHPS in the theater once or twice, whereas she was a shadow cast member for YEARS.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

The celery is probably obsolete in most places: There's a dinner scene where there is celery in glasses at all the settings. Frank pulls the tablecloth of, and there are a variety of calls possible for right before he does, which includes one about hating celery. There are better calls for that spot, so celery is rarely a prob these days.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
          The movie itself is gloriously bad.
          The movie is horrible. Don't watch it at home.

It has to be watched in a theater with the cult kooks to be properly enjoyed.

OTOH, it features some actors who went on to become quite famous in other roles: Tim Curry (Dr. Frankenfurter), Barry Bostick (Brad Majors), and Susan Sarandon (Janet Weiss). Meatloaf is in it as well.

Tim Curry has done a lot of things: from horror (Pennywise in It), to comedy (Cardinal Richelieu in Three Musketeers, the Butler in Clue).

Barry Bostick is probably best known for Spin City.

Susan Sarandon has been in a lot of movies, won an Academy award for Dead Man Walking.

When I was in college, I was a DJ for the college radio station. We put on a free movie in the old gym every year, usually some kind of fun cult classic. One year our manager, Peach, wanted to do Rocky Horror. We'd just bought a new screen, it was very large, and he wanted to show it off with a movie he thought would be a big draw.

I warned him not to do it. I'd been to a midnight show of RHPS and knew all about the call outs and audience participation. "They'll throw stuff at the screen," I warned him.

Peach was sure the students wouldn't do such a thing, that he could control the crowd. He hadn't actually seen the movie himself. He got stiff and irritated when I tried to tell him what to expect, so I shut up and said, "OK, you're the boss."

Of course it was a complete and total disaster. Students did exactly what I had forwarned. Peach paused the movie and warned the crowd if the rowdy behavior didn't stop, he's shut down the show.

Of course it didn't stop. So he shut it down. I think we got as far as the Time Warp.

After Campus Police managed to get the near rioting students out of the old gym (I stayed to watch the show), I turned to leave. Peach stopped me and said, "Aren't you going to help clean up?"

Me: Nope. I told you. I TOLD you not to show this movie and you wouldn't listen to me. You can clean up the mess. I want no part of it.

Needless to say, I was persona non grata around the radio station, but I was getting ready to quit anyway since they weren't willing to move me out of the Top 40 show (I hated Top 40).
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
            The celery is probably obsolete in most places: There's a dinner scene where there is celery in glasses at all the settings. Frank pulls the tablecloth of, and there are a variety of calls possible for right before he does, which includes one about hating celery. There are better calls for that spot, so celery is rarely a prob these days.

^-.-^
            I totaly forgot about "ANd I don't like Celery" call back line at that point. Most of the time the better line is "Meatloaf on ice, that's nice"

Quoth Jester View Post
            Racket Man, I am so going to have to ask my little sister about the whole Smurf Killing Tally, as I can't remember ever having seen that, but I've only seen RHPS in the theater once or twice, whereas she was a shadow cast member for YEARS.

the Smurf kill tally has been in shows since the 1970's (yes I have been going that long first show in 1978)
            Last edited by Racket_Man; 09-28-2012, 07:45 AM.
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Oh wow, it's been years >_> The last time I attended a proper Rocky showing was when there was a little bitty (2-screen!) theater that did mostly midnight movies and such back in the early 90's. I don't recall them ever bothering with the Virgin thing, tho. At least in my case, it was "A virgin, huh? **looks up** Uhm, cool, yer in" (I was six foot four and a big dude, even then) Said theater also occasionally did other midnight stuff like the exceptionally, profoundly NSFW anime, Legend of the Overfiend...That one had audience callbacks of a completely different sort , mostly "taunting" the characters on screen.

Said theater fell victim to the Palace, like most others, sadly. The area now hosts a Petco.

Quoth Panacea View Post
              Tim Curry has done a lot of things: from horror (Pennywise in It), to comedy (Cardinal Richelieu in Three Musketeers, the Butler in Clue).
              ...to the Muppets (at least one of the movies, Muppet Treasure Island), to computer games (Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, in which he did a rather decent New Orleans accent -- word has it that he hung out in the French Quarter for a few months specifically in order to get the accent down!), to more recent stuff like Annoying Orange, where he reprises his most common role: "British guy (or fruit, in this case) with an intentionally hammy, overdone accent"...^_^
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Tim Curry also has a few albums - this is the one I remember:
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fearless_(Tim_Curry_album)

Please please please don't watch the movie at home first - trust us.

The theatres that ban the food (esp. toast) is because the "old school" screens are really expensive to clean and toast tends to fly the furthest.

Comment

My ex had the 12" single for Fearless with "I Do the Rock" on the A side and "Paradise Garage" and something else (the Internet tells me it was "Charge It") on the B side.

If he wasn't such a brilliant actor, he could have gone into music.

Quoth auntiem View Post
                  The theatres that ban the food (esp. toast) is because the "old school" screens are really expensive to clean and toast tends to fly the furthest.
                  And damp toast (because of the rain), will stick to the screen. Seen it happen.

TP sometimes gets banned at places that allow the rain. Otherwise, the rain itself is usually banned.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Redbeard View Post
                    Corset and top hat, and you'll be fine
                    Th-th-that's all, folks!
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Regarding the Smurf Killing Tally, I think you may have been right when you said it might be a regional thing. I had never heard of it in AZ or FL, but I have not been to too many RHPS showings, so I thought maybe I had just forgotten it. So I asked Lil Sis just now, who played Magenta for YEARS in NJ, and has attended RHPS showings probably several hundred times, and she said she's never heard of it either.

Weird how something is common in some areas but not in others.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Well as it turns out, there are 2 different theatres that are doing showings (not at midnight since the showings are both weekday ones)

First theatre may or may not be doing goodie bags with the aforementioned products in the list, but I haven't heard anything from them regarding it. When I emailed them though, I got a resounding "no" from the manager. (which is odd, given they're actually a NEWER cinema)

Second theatre is the older theatre and they said yes to everything apart from lighters and the water pistols (the former is obvious, the latter I suspect is because some of the fittings and whatnot around the place are plaster and they don't want them to be dissolved). Possibly because the screen is a fair distance away from the front row and said theatre also occasionally has performances and whatnot on the stage area, providing more distance (and funnily enough, they have this MASSIVE organ that is played before every show. It's AWESOME)

Comment

I will never forget my first experience with seeing Rocky Horror. It was 30 years and five days ago. My circle of friends took me to see Rocky Horror on my 20th birthday. We had a blast.

Comment

I am actually not surprised that the newer theater is stodgier about RHPS than the older one. The older one has experience with it, and knows what to expect, and has probably got the regulars into a semblance of order (at least for RHPS), whereas the new one probably just doesn't want to deal with all the nonsense, not having the experience or track record of the older one.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                              I am actually not surprised that the newer theater is stodgier about RHPS than the older one. The older one has experience with it, and knows what to expect, and has probably got the regulars into a semblance of order (at least for RHPS), whereas the new one probably just doesn't want to deal with all the nonsense, not having the experience or track record of the older one.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
                              Well the manager said no, but according to their FB page, they are going to do the goodie bags, hence my confusion. >.> If they do go ahead, they may probably allow the water pistols, newspapers and TP, but not so much the toast.

The older one I think only started doing them recently, so I'm not sure.

What's hilarious is that every summer, the Moonlight Cinema in Adelaide does a screening of it as well. (that's January folks )

Comment

Quoth FormerCallingCardRep View Post
                                I will never forget my first experience with seeing Rocky Horror. It was 30 years and five days ago. My circle of friends took me to see Rocky Horror on my 20th birthday. We had a blast.
                                Exactly 34 years ago here give or take a week or so

Now that I think about it make that 4 different cities and 4 different audiences/casts that did the Smurf Killing tally

It must be an Mid-Western regional thing.
                                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                                X