This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rum Virgins

I decided not to highjack Argabarga's thread anymore than it already had been, so I moved this question over here

Jester is responding to my question about whether it would be SC to ask what kind of rum would be good for a rum virgin (such as myself).

Quoth Jester View Post
    No. That would be a far more intelligent question. To which I would ask YOU some questions, so I could figure out what kind of rum you would like.

For example, are you normally a whiskey drinker? Vodka? Gin? Wine? Beer?

What do you normally drink? Are you looking to try rum cocktails, or does fine sipping rum appeal to you? Do you like sweet drinks, or something drier?

There is no single rum that is good for a rum virgin, just as there is no single rum that is, as they often ask, "good."

But if you need guidance in rum, just ask. I'll do what I can. I have guided friends, customers, and CSers in rum over the years, and enjoy doing it. So, just let me know.
    Awesome I'm usually a vodka drinker. When I drink beer, I tend to favor craft beers--actually ales and stouts rather than lager. I'm not much of a wine drinker, so I can't really answer that question.

I tend to go for the sweet side of things, and usually drink cocktails when I drink liquor.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

If you like sweet, rum cocktails are your friend!

Next time you're in a bar, check out their specialty cocktail list, if they have one. Try some of their rum cocktails. I recommend mojitos, caipirinhas, and rum punches for beginners. One note on mojitos, though: if they don't use fresh mint, don't bother; it ain't a mojito.

Also, if you're a vodka drinker, and enjoy bloody marys, next time try a rum bloody. My recommendation for rum for a rum bloody is a white (clear) rum, preferably something dry. I prefer Seco Herrerano from Panama, but most white rums would work. I'm not a fan of Bacardi, but even that would probably work. My friend Popcorn likes stronger flavored rums in his bloody, but I find that such rums end up battling the bloody mix for dominance, and it just comes out weird. Your individual results may vary.

As with anything, experiment, find what you like.

And of course, feel free to come back and ask questions. I rarely tire talking about my favorite spirit.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
    X