Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, LEDs are not tolerant of heat. A "drop in" LED replacement for an incandescent is limited in power by how much heat it can dissipate. A flashlight designed around an LED will have better heatsinking from the LED to the outside world than is possible for a heat path that goes through the socket.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

While not usable as a self-defense weapon, I make heavy use of my Energizer headlamp (I have the $17 "Brilliant Beam" model.) You won't light up the night with it, but it's comfortable, the battery lasts a while, and it's quite sturdy.

For emergency use in the car, nothing beats a headlamp, as it means you don't need your hands for lighting.

For stashing all over the house for those "I could use a flashlight" moments, the 3xAAA Free (with purchase and Coupon)-$3 "27 LED Portable Worklight" from Harbor Freight are the best. They have a usable 3-LED flashlight, a 24-LED flat bank of lights for area lighting, a magnet on the back, and a swiveling 1" hook on the rear end. It's not real bright (and you wouldn't expect it to be for that price), but it gets the job done.

Every time I've given one of those as a gift, inevitably the recipient asks where I got it and states they are going to go buy a bunch of them.

Comment

Quoth LoTech View Post
        Don't confuse a retrofit LED "bulb" with a light actually designed around an LED emitter. Especially in the case of a MagLight or other variable focus light. -snip-
        I would assume this is why you can actually purchase LED conversion kits for Maglites. So that the LED is in the correct place (or you're given a new reflector to go with the LED).
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
          I highly recommend those for anyone working security, towing, or employed in any other dangerous profession. One of the larger MagLites is effectively a club. And is plenty sturdy enough to be used as one. Repeatedly. I think Arga mentioned he actually DROVE OVER one such flashlight and it still works.
          Yep my buddy, while working security, got beaten with one and ended up in the ICU.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
            Because they'd rather spend eleven hundred dollars and 200 hours denying THE MAN(TM) of something than spend five minutes and $20 doing something legitimately.
            Google "Antisocial Personality Disorder".

I'll say no more, to keep this thread out of fratching.

Comment

Working...
            X