This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That Didn't Take Long

Okay, so I haven't been sassy at my new job. At all. Mostly because it's really cool and awesome and the people are usually really nice (if not a bit testy during the holidays)...oblivious as hell but nice...

Although, to be honest, it didn't take long for me to get a complaint, all things considered.

Here's how it went down:

I go up to the counter to relieve CW for a break. He tells the older man (60-70) that I'll be able to take care of his transaction. CW has already done a lot for this guy and he had a ton of little items strewn all over the smallest counter in the building. No big deal, it's whatever, I've had worse. I walk up, he asks me for things that only I can get him and I do. His method is strange, however, and mostly consists of him asking for stuff, I get totally done with the process, and then he asks for something else that requires the same process but could have been done in the previous one as like a continuous thing. That's really not a big deal, customers have to figure stuff out in their heads whether they want something, how much, whatever. What WAS kind of annoying was that he would leave the counter area and go stare at some of the smaller items again and again and again and all these other Christmas shoppers would start to put their stuff down all over his small items and I had to keep on directing them to another register because I was in the middle of a transaction. It was an insanely busy Saturday (the Saturday before Christmas at a knick knack store!!!) and so there were a lot of people getting pissed off that they couldn't just check out at the register that was right in front of them. So I kept having to apologize over and over and over again because this guy had walked away from his transaction. Whatever. I'm just trying to get to the end of it at this point and the guy apologizes to me at least once, maybe twice and I tell him every time that it's fine, it's okay, etc etc. I try to get through the transaction as fast as I can so that I can take other customers, I get it all bagged up nice, I don't skimp out on any of the bagging procedures that I normally do. I tell him to have a nice day, he leaves. As far as I was aware, when he left, he was smiling.

Skip forward to today when my manager asks me if I remember being angry or annoyed by a customer on Saturday. My immediate reaction is "No, I don't remember being angry at all on Saturday." Because it's true. I didn't remember anything that really struck me. I usually do because I tell my boyfriend about every weird customer when I'm walking home and he's on the phone. He tells me about how this guy called in and then came in and he was very VERY angry. Cue my "???" face. He tells me some deets and I'm like "I think I remember the guy but that's weird 'cause I don't remember anything about that transaction being strange."

Apparently the guy told him that I seemed "Perturbed" and "Annoyed" the whole time (Resting Bitch Face???? I don't know. Maybe I just didn't smile the ENTIRE TIME???) and even though I had said that it was "fine" after he apologized he told my boss that I had "thrown a basket against the wall toward him."

Cue record screech.

1. What basket? He was bringing things over piece by piece. I don't even remember him having a basket.

2. Let's assume he had a basket and I just don't remember him having it. I apparently threw the basket at a wall toward him. Which means I would have had to literally lob a large plastic basket over the counter and smash it into a "wall" which I will get to next.

3. There is no wall to throw a basket against. My manager even stated "It's the ____ counter, I don't even know what kind of wall you would have thrown anything at. There aren't any walls over there."

So he brought every single tiny thing he had bought from me and brought it back because he was "so disgusted" and he's been a customer "over 50 years." He also got even more mad because BossMan apparently didn't take the matter seriously enough (yeah, because he was probably like, "Gaki? Are we talking about the same person???" Because I do not sass. I get overwhelmed sometimes but I do not get angry at this job.) and he thought it was an absolute travesty and he's been thinking and brooding about it for DAYS and he's just so disgusted by my supposed "behavior."

BossMan and I mulled it over and he came up with the theory that he might have heard the "very loud sound" (he said the basket made a HUGE sound but we were confused about that too since even if you threw them full force at the floor they wouldn't make too loud of a noise) when one of my male coworkers slammed one of our carts into the other carts 'cause that's pretty much right next to where we were but sort of out of sight. And if he looked back and saw me staring at the floor (where most of the stock is) he might have made some feeble brain connection that somehow I threw a basket (that I still don't think existed).

Whatever, I guess. Nothing's gonna break THIS stride. I've been having a fabulous time and that grumpy old POS was probably just trying to get something for nothing.

He wanted to use you and your manager to feel special and important. First, you have to take care of him in the store a long time. Then he thinks the manager will apologize, offer him free stuff, and then fire you. What an ass.

Comment

Are there any cameras? Maybe demand they be pulled. Get the guys info and sue the hell out of him.

Comment

Quoth Sandman View Post
        Are there any cameras? Maybe demand they be pulled. Get the guys info and sue the hell out of him.
        Unfortunately, it would be very difficult to sue someone for lying, unless in so doing that person caused grievous injury or loss. Even if you won such a case, good luck collecting on the damages. By the time all is said and done, you'll have expended far more time and effort into it than it would be worth.

IF IT WERE ME
        If there was security video, then yes, I'd ask that it be pulled and reviewed, and if possible, do so directly in front of the sucktomer. Let HIM explain why the behavior he described is so conspicuously absent. Then ban the lying, bitter old bastard.

THE REALITY
        Management probably won't do a thing. Even when confronted with evidence, management is (typically) brainwashed into kissing the customer's ass. Not all managers, of course, but those who will actually stand up to a customer are rare bordering on extinct.

Comment

I smell a scammer looking for some sort of freebie for all his "troubles"...

Comment

I wonder if, subconsciously, this guy knew he was being sucky by wasting time during a very busy season. I knew this sounds weird, but when New Manager was late I would predict that she would be ultra-pissy. Like... "I know I've done something wrong, so I will find something to be mad at YOU about, to take the attention off of me."
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
              "I know I've done something wrong, so I will find something to be mad at YOU about, to take the attention off of me."
              "No, it is YOU who are the Sucky One!"
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                I smell a scammer looking for some sort of freebie for all his "troubles"...
                I just smell someone who is so insecure that they jump to conclusions and make up slights where there are none, and you can't convince them otherwise. He picked up on Gaki's apologies to the other customers, assumed Gaki was as annoyed as they, and when he heard a loud noise assumed it was Gaki gunning for him. Cue actions to defend his perceived world-view, likely fueled by that insecurity about how he was taking up a whole counter and a lot of time.

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                "I know I've done something wrong, so I will find something to be mad at YOU about, to take the attention off of me."
                Kind of like this, yes.

Frankly, so long as management didn't believe him for a second, I'd let it slide this time. Sounds to me like management asked Gaki to verify or disprove the story, and was willing to listen. No harm done, then, and ignoring the grumpy old guy would be the best approach at that point.
                "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

The camera footage COULD be used as evidence toward banning the guy -- as it would clearly show that, not only was he straight-up lying about Gaki, he was interfering with/frustrating several other customers by walking away so often midstream. Most places will care much, MUCH more about the latter. Worth a shot, either way.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Master manipulator. First he ensures that he has Gaki's attention and service for much longer than was strictly necessary, then he turns around...DAYS later...and complains. If he was really, truly that upset, he needs therapy, because even if it happened the way he said, get over it and move on, old guy! You haven't got days to waste steaming about stuff like this! But as we know it didn't happen that way, my guess is he's a passive-aggressive asshole gunning for some freebies. Probably wants something from corporate, big gift card or whatever.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      Probably wants something from corporate, big gift card or whatever.
                      Gaki said in another thread that this is a small store with no corporate.

Comment

Quoth siskaren View Post
                        Gaki said in another thread that this is a small store with no corporate.
                        And you think the SC would know that, or that it would make any difference?
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Lots of SCs are so "trained" in the art of browbeating a franchise/corporate establishment that they don't stop to think if they're inside one first.

I've been asked for the numbers to corporate HQ/regional HQ/ and assorted managers and whatnot when someone hasn't liked their first and only answer. They're more than a bit confused and angry when they realize that there is nowhere to go with it once turned down, save for civil court.
                          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                            Lots of SCs are so "trained" in the art of browbeating a franchise/corporate establishment that they don't stop to think if they're inside one first.

I've been asked for the numbers to corporate HQ/regional HQ/ and assorted managers and whatnot when someone hasn't liked their first and only answer. They're more than a bit confused and angry when they realize that there is nowhere to go with it once turned down, save for civil court.
                            This is very true. A lot of the time people are excessively surprised when I tell them that this place is family owned. There are even people who say "Oh I was at the other _____ the other day" and I'm like "The other what? There's only one of these...this one." And they start arguing with me about how there's one in blah blah blah town right on main street and I'm like...no...there is but one. We are inside it. It is family owned. This is third generation owned, there is nothing else. And no...you're not getting shit for free, you're not getting a gift certificate, you're not getting shit aside from a sincere apology letter from one of the managers (NOT ME). I don't even know what the letter says but I'm assuming he's just not ever coming back and if he does, he'll probably pretend that the incident never happened.

Comment

Working...
                            X