Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A number of US National Parks have explicit warnings that "your cell phone and/or GPS aren't always going to work here!!!" And people still prefer to believe their gadget instead of a map or verbal directions.
    "It's what I'm beginning to call death by GPS," said Death Valley wilderness coordinator Charlie Callagan "People are renting vehicles with GPS and they have no idea how it works and they are willing to trust the GPS to lead them into the middle of nowhere." [He was talking to a reporter about a recent death of a child, where the parent relied on GPS and got stuck in sand on a dead end road.]...

"People are so reliant on their GPS that they fail to look out the windshield and make wise decisions based on what they're seeing," said [a search & rescue coordinator].
    Mr. Nutrax & I attended a family reunion in San Francisco. We stayed at the same hotel as his sister & her husband. They had a GPS, we had a paper map. (You can predict the results.) They left the hotel 15 minutes ahead of us and arrived 10 minutes after we did. We took a surface street; they took the freeway that the GPS wanted. During rush hour.

Comment

My GPS app can be annoying at times. I call the voice "Navi" for that very reason.

Quoth LoTech View Post
      I'm not sure how you'd go about silencing your GPS app, though.
      A hammer will shut Navi up pretty good.

Mind you, it will shut up everything on your phone. Usually in a warranty-voiding way.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

The most important part of learning how to use a GPS is learning when to ignore it. Ever drive the NJTP? Near the north end, where they have "cars only" and "all traffic" lanes, the same exit will be from one side of the road in the "cars only" lanes and the other side of the road in the "all traffic" lanes. Also, GPS maps can be out of date, and recent construction can put the exit you want to take on the other side of the road from where it was when the map was made.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth nutraxfornerves View Post
          Mr. Nutrax & I attended a family reunion in San Francisco. We stayed at the same hotel as his sister & her husband. They had a GPS, we had a paper map. (You can predict the results.) They left the hotel 15 minutes ahead of us and arrived 10 minutes after we did. We took a surface street; they took the freeway that the GPS wanted. During rush hour.
          Some of my coworkers--who are not from Pittsburgh--insist on using their GPS to get to the airport. How hard is it to get onto the parkway, head west, and follow the big "Airport" signs everywhere? Naturally, if I'm tailing them, I usually roar past, and get there several minutes early. Of course, it helps that after living in the city for nearly 40 years...you know where the cops sit, what's currently under construction...and can usually get around it
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            it has sent me up and down some side streets, making three lefts, two rights, and a U-turn, rather than just get me to the right place and have me turn in.
            It was either last year on a family vacation in SoCal, or this year when Hubby and I were house-hunting. Hubby and I don't have GPS apps or devices (no standalone devices, no data plan for our phones), but whoever we were riding with (in-laws or realtor) did. At one point the GPS told us to turn left out of a side street, travel a bit, do a U-turn, and then continue back past the side street we'd been on to get where we wanted to go.

Only thing: there was absolutely nothing preventing a right turn out of the side street in the first place, saving us an unnecessary left turn and U-turn. None of us had any clue why the GPS had us do that, but it wasn't the only time some weird navigation stunt like that occurred on the trip.
            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

When my roommate discovered that it cost $80 per year to update his GPS, he let it go for a little while; "a little while" being about ten years. It reached the point where it was an actual hazard, insisting that I was driving through a field or begging me to make a U-turn into a river. I stopped using it after a disastrous trip to Boston.

The city's streets are already a mess, but downtown is a natural for GPS, since the streets haven't changed in centuries. Roommate's antique GPS kept trying to send me along pedestrian paths on the Common or the wrong way down one-way streets.

I bought my own. Sometimes we'll turn them both on and make them compete. It can be fun listening to them bicker. (Roommate did eventually pay for an update, and his GPS is much more accurate now.)

I've also windshield-mounted a smart phone, but it's a data pig, so I only used it for a few minutes at a time.

Comment

I don't drive myself, but I've seen some doozies from the passenger seat. (Fortunately, the folks who drive me are usually sensible enough to override when necessary.) When I originally moved down to my current town, my Mom drove me around for house-hunting; at one point, the GPS tried to route us through a house (admittedly, that was dividing two segments of what clearly had once been a through street).

But what really takes the cake is the iPhone's walking directions. The few times I tried it, the Fruitcake consistently routed me halfway around town. I gave up for good after trying to follow its directions from my house to downtown (maybe a 30-45 minute walk if I follow the bus route). It started by sending me down a highway with no sidewalks, but that looked like it could get me there eventually (and I'm a determined walker), so I walked the shoulder. But then, at about 2/3s the distance, it told me to leave the highway and turn right to another street.. Looking to my right, I saw (IIRC in this order):
                1) A couple of strands of old barbed wire
                2) A 15-20' gully
                3) a chain-link fence (~10' high)
                4) 100 feet or so of "forest"
                5) Behind which was the parking lots of a small shopping mall.

Getting back to genuinely walkable territory was an adventure in itself....

Comment

Working...
                X