Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reminds me of on Family Matters when they adopted a dog.

"Around you, he's Benji. Around us, he's Cujo!"
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Forget a guard dog...just put a sign on the door reminding people not to let the snake get out of the house. We used to have a tiny little garter kept in a glass walled cage and some people wouldn't step foot in the house once they realized.

Comment

Quoth bankworking View Post
        Forget a guard dog...just put a sign on the door reminding people not to let the snake get out of the house. We used to have a tiny little garter kept in a glass walled cage and some people wouldn't step foot in the house once they realized.
        That would be me. While I am fascinated by watching them on tv, i do not want to see them live. They scare me.Even teeny tiny ones.

Comment

I once worked a delivery job. I carried a body cam that I purchased myself so that if ever I needed to show proof of whatever transpired I could come out bathed in the glow of redemption. I also carried "protection", that I happily never had to use. The body cam did save me a few times though from lying customers and once resulted in extremely bad karma for the receiver of a package.

The lesson is, do whatever it takes to stay protected by making sure you have the necessary evidence to vindicate yourself. Or you have only yourself to blame in this age of cheap electronics.

Comment

Quoth panamared View Post
            I once worked a delivery job. I carried a body cam that I purchased myself so that if ever I needed to show proof of whatever transpired I could come out bathed in the glow of redemption. I also carried "protection", that I happily never had to use. The body cam did save me a few times though from lying customers and once resulted in extremely bad karma for the receiver of a package.
            I wish such things were around when I delivered pizza - at least, as inexpensively as they are now. It could have saved me from a great deal of grief from lying, scamming customers. Of course, half of the lying and scamming I had to deal with was from my own managers, who would try almost any trick if it improved their bottom line.

As for protection - oh, yes, I carried protection, in the form of actual old-school mace, plus a seriously large (and heavy!) aircraft-aluminum flashlight. And it did save my bacon on more than one occasion.

Comment

Quoth panamared View Post
              The body cam did save me a few times though from lying customers and once resulted in extremely bad karma for the receiver of a package.
              I kind of want to hear those stories now.
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

This is why my friends in delivery keep their cell phones handy. There was a lady who did almost the exact same thing to every delivery driver who came by and refused to believe her massive dogs were anything but sweet. My bud filmed the walk up to her gate and she started shrieking at him about privacy, which only agitated her dogs further.
                His boss now keeps her address and several stills from the video on the map next to the phone in their restaurant.

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
                  As for protection - oh, yes, I carried protection, in the form of actual old-school mace, plus a seriously large (and heavy!) aircraft-aluminum flashlight. And it did save my bacon on more than one occasion.
                  But what about the crust, sauce, cheese, and other toppings? Did your "protection" save those too?
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
                    As for protection - oh, yes, I carried protection, in the form of actual old-school mace
                    I know by this you mean the "oh god my eyes"-style of mace, but part of me imagines you mean a big, fuck-off blunt instrument. With spikes on.
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post

I know by this you mean the "oh god my eyes"-style of mace, but part of me imagines you mean a big, fuck-off blunt instrument. With spikes on.
                      I am such a dork. It never occurred to me that that was mace (as in pepper spray) not mace (as in the spikey ball of awesomeness attached to a stick with a chain). Clearly I need to join the current century.

I used to carry pepper spray and a heavy flashlight too. Ran off one particular creepy with the flashlight and a blank stare.
                      "Hi, this is Silver. How may I lose my self respect in order to cater to your over- inflated ego today?" --- Silverrb

Comment

Fellow drivers back at "DaddyJim's" always swore by the heavy-duty/blindingly-high-power MagLites. Bright enough to blind an aggressor at twenty feet (as in, shine it, drop pizza, run like hell), and heavy enough to be used defensively if all else failed.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                          But what about the crust, sauce, cheese, and other toppings? Did your "protection" save those too?
                          On one occasion, it did. But I trained most of the drivers at my restaurant, and one thing I drilled into them over and over again is if they were ambushed, they were to do whatever it took to get the hell out of Dodge. The food was the absolute LAST priority. Of course, I also trained them to be mindful of their environment and to avoid ambush situations anyway.

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                          There were occasions I wish I'd had the medieval object. But those occasions were all at the point of delivery, for use on lying, scamming customers... grin. Seriously, though, the first option was always to retreat. If that meant dropping the pizza, then that's what happened. It ain't worth getting hurt over. But if retreat wasn't possible, then my large, clublike metal flashlight and the mace were there to ensure that there was plenty of pain to go around.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                            Fellow drivers back at "DaddyJim's" always swore by the heavy-duty/blindingly-high-power MagLites. Bright enough to blind an aggressor at twenty feet (as in, shine it, drop pizza, run like hell), and heavy enough to be used defensively if all else failed.
                            This, exactly. We weren't allowed to carry anything that could be classified as a 'weapon' - which means we couldn't walk around with a baseball bat, a gun, a knife, etc. I kinda bent the rules a bit by carrying mace, but the canister was small enough to conceal and wouldn't be found unless I was searched. The Maglight, on the other hand, had a 'legitimate' function for a delivery driver, and the police wouldn't object to its being in the car if I got stopped.

Comment

Working...
                            X