This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the laugh!

Even if that would be true about rent increase for taking away the driveway or whatever, he's probably so far behind in the rent the landlord would come out way ahead anyway. And he would have to get a lawyer which could be really entertaining. This guy is missing way too many brain cells for that whole business.

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
      Don't most of your targets have a very fuzzy grasp on economics? Why else would they keep paying to get their vehicles out of impound when it would actually be cheaper to park legally?
      Actually, when I lived/went to school in Pittsburgh, the parking lots downtown cost around $400/mo. There was no legal downtown street parking, but you could usually get a way with it...usually. Once every couple of weeks, they'd send out the tow trucks and you could either haul ass and move your vehicle or end up getting towed. One or two $100 impound fees a month was still cheaper than a downtown lot space (not that I ever did this myself ).
      "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
      -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

Quoth bankworking View Post
        Can't say if it's true or not, but I have a rather.. obnoxious guy I know who claims he once got a job, paid under the table, to pretend to be a tenant in a building where a landlord wanted someone out. He would proceed to act so completely, dangerously insane that the hated occupant would leave on their own.
        Where I live that's called "constructive eviction." If the landlord makes the place uninhabitable (and in many cases noise counts) and doesn't do anything about it, or refuses to take reasonable action to ensure tenant safety, the landlord can be legally responsible for any costs the tenant incurs in moving. Including any increase in rent at the new place. Think carefully before any property owners on here try this route.
        "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth icmedia View Post
          Actually, when I lived/went to school in Pittsburgh, the parking lots downtown cost around $400/mo. There was no legal downtown street parking, but you could usually get a way with it...usually. Once every couple of weeks, they'd send out the tow trucks and you could either haul ass and move your vehicle or end up getting towed. One or two $100 impound fees a month was still cheaper than a downtown lot space (not that I ever did this myself ).
          Was public transit any good? I'd have looked into getting a train pass.
          "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
            Was public transit any good? I'd have looked into getting a train pass.
            I live in Pittsburgh--the transit system sucks. Unlike NYC, Chicago, or any other big city, there hasn't really been much of an effort to expand Pittsburgh's subway (an amusing term really, since most of the system is above ground ) other than the "Tunnel to Nowhere" under the Allegheny River. It was never designed to serve the entire city--there are only 4 stops (5 if you count the currently-closed one at Penn Station) downtown. Nor do we have commuter trains. Years ago, you could ride the PATrain, before that, the B&O, P&LE, PRR, all had them. Those all vanished when the highways were built.

From what I understand, the bus service isn't bad...provided you live inside the city, or along one of the major roadways. Decades of mismanagement and service cutbacks have left many areas with only "corridor" service. Not everyone is willing (or able) to walk a few blocks.

As for parking downtown...don't. It's expensive, so I don't park down there unless I have to. I'll park a few miles from home, and take the T instead. $2.50 each way and walking is still less than $15-20 a day downtown. Nearly all of the free spaces are gone now--either removed to make space for bike lanes, or fitted with paid spots now. The only "free" spots now, are at the Amtrak station. It's very cramped, and if you're not there to pick someone off, you might get towed.
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
              The only "free" spots now, are at the Amtrak station. It's very cramped, and if you're not there to pick someone off, you might get towed.
              I assume you mean "up" not "off".

Comment

Oops.

That's what happens after a few shots of whiskey :P But seriously, I don't think there's anywhere legal to park for free in downtown Pittsburgh now. Nearly all of the free spots are gone now. Others nearby...are in areas that you really don't want to venture into at night.
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                  I live in Pittsburgh--the transit system sucks.
                  Sorry to hear that. Though we're nowhere near as good as New York City, Denver isn't bad, but you have to be smart about where you live. We choose our apartment for it's proximity to the train. I'm close to (but not IN) downtown so anywhere there is a quick little jaunt. Getting to work takes a bit longer but is still doable.

Comment

It can be tough to evict someone even (or especially) without a lease; on other forums, I've seen a couple of sagas (one happening currently) with people having to evict "housemates" -- having paid some rent, they had protections under tenant laws. Cue legal research and planmaking....

Comment

Working...
                    X