This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boom (not a) headshot

Once again the range was packed. It was going good till the winners came in.
    Group of city folk, the women despite ZERO experience would listen and do ok to great. 1 guy would not. Now of course I teach center mass. I prefer round clock targets but we have a lot man targets

So to avoid damage to the target carriers and range we have a no head shot guide line. You give me 5 shots exactly center, I might let you do it.
    But when your shooting a .38 revolver that it EASY to shoot, after I tried to show him how to shoot a .22 and do badly,
    Put 2 shots roughly center then put 2 shots over the top of the target
    me- no head shots-put it in the center
    him ok
    next shot in the top of the head
    ME- IN THE CENTER ONLY PUT IT IN THE ORANGE!
    next shot cut the top of paper and ok

last shot again on paper over the head
    I take the gun, you heard me say no head shots right?
    Yes

Your DONE- you FAILED TO LISTEN TO RANGE COMMANDS
    *cue cat butt face and lame excuses about being shown/sights by someone else*
    No- I can see how you had it pointed and made no attempt to aim correctly, that GP100 pistol will put all 6 shots touching in the proper hand, and someone in my last group just did.
    Oh no it's the gun I didn't blabla,.,,,OK who's next
    The other 5 put all shots in the orange center or damm close inc the 4' 10" mom
    I look at him...yea it's gun...

Later, we are locked in so we have to take a bay with what ever guns in it and teach them. I showed 30 people in a row how to shoot a Beretta 92. Most of them didn't bother shooting anything else 1st. Not that it's impossible but there's better ways to start. I felt like Kiddo in Kill Bill 2 punching the wood.
    put your hands like this
    no like this
    no no that's not right, you'll get your thumb chopped off by the slide
    thumb
    thumb
    thumb
    yes use both sights
    finger off the trigger
    finger
    finger off
    take your finger off the trigger
    finger
    off
    the
    trigger
    sights x332125
    you do that again and I'm taking it!
    Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; 01-17-2016, 12:28 AM.
    AkaiKitsune
    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Gee, I wonder how I survived when I went to the range for a friend's bachelor party: (hey, it's Texas)

- First time at a range, period (previously, shooting outside in rural areas)
    - First time with handguns (rifles before, shop owner wouldn't let me in by myself)
    - First time shooting in many, many years.

And yet I managed not to hurt myself or anybody else! Well ok, my thumb was sore for a day or two afterward, from reloading magazines so many times. Only way I could figure to do it had my thumb getting pinched the whole time.
    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I have never shot a gun but my aim was so bad when I took archery I wonder if I'd miss badly enough to get a headshot when I was trying for center mass. My guess is yes. But then maybe guns shoot straighter than bows.
      "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Oh I've seen it many times.
        Did you mean to shoot it there?
        no
        Did you use the rear sight?
        no
        *facepalm*
        AkaiKitsune
        Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

When I had my last CCW class, some spray and pray cowboy scared me so much that I ran out the door. Inside range, concrete walls and idiot with his brand new .45 was shooting everywhere but the target.

*I passed my test, but I'm really used to how my glock handles.)

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
            Oh I've seen it many times.
            Did you mean to shoot it there?
            no
            Did you use the rear sight?
            no
            *facepalm*
            Hehe. Maybe that was the problem. A 40 lb bow (that's the draw strength) didn't have a sight. Plus arrows arc more. That said I ALWAYS followed every single one of the instructor's directions. A bow and arrow can kill someone just as easily as a gun. I can do highly detailed crafting tasks, I probably could have gotten good at at least target shooting if I'd stuck with it. Don't think I have enough gross muscle control to ever hit something that was moving though.
            "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I'd love to see these folk in an actual combat situation, aiming for the head and either missing, or miraculously hitting the cranial area then wondering why their target doesn't instantly drop dead.

Reality is a harsh mistress if you don't do your research first.

Comment

We all know that SCs only listen to/remember the figures they like; these particular twits have heard that a headshot has great stopping potential, without taking the likelihood of actually hitting the target into consideration. Me, I'd rather aim at the bigger target, because there's much better odds of me hitting that even if it's in motion. Head shots are for video games.
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Headshots are for the movies-------.
                  AkaiKitsune

Comment

I can remember being 12 and going hunting with my Dad, and some jackass that was going with us [freaking city boy] was dissing me because I was hauling along my M1 [blind hunting Bambi] and he was all about the "silly little girl, hauling along a gun she can't manage to handle" so my Dad [who taught me to shoot the silly thing several years before when it was almost bigger than me, using lightly reloaded rounds] challenged us to a target shoot-off. He slammed his thumb with the bolt trying to load and threw it down to the ground in disgust, muttering about broken guns. Whereupon I proceeded to load and hit the targeted leftover beer can. Asshole.

M1 thumb. Descriptive only, no blood!

And done with a carrot instead of a thumb so we don't have blood!
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
                      finger off the trigger
                      finger
                      finger off
                      take your finger off the trigger
                      finger
                      off
                      the
                      trigger
                      sights x332125
                      you do that again and I'm taking it!
                      I... I could not do your job.
                      I'm scared just reading that.
                      I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                      - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                      - IPF

Comment

Well today I had 2 people who after being told and me taking their hand and place it exactly on the gun as it should be, take 1 shot, hit dead center, then completely change their grip and hit like crap and ask why?
                        Why?
                        Because you didn't listen or do what I showed you...here's your target...NEXT victim..er...customer. (yes I do say that out loud)

Next person steps up and does exactly what I day and show. AND DRILLS IT!

I had one shoot the target backer off the hanger- annnddd your done...
                        The one that hit the rope pulley knocking it down and endeing any shooting in that bay..and your done.
                        Move to next bay. Oh challenge that's it's too hard and unfair at 10ft?
                        Ok have 5 shots remaining, I run the target all the way out to 30 feet. Put all 5 in the center, bring it back the group to much clapping and oohs.
                        OK who's next.
                        AkaiKitsune

Comment

Working...
                        X