This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wifi woes... and "you did WHAT to our 'favorite kids toy on the park'???"

just a short few this time... (well, shortish... first one is longer because of background explanation)

first. when we get full, like we are this weekend, the wifi gets spotty. heck of a lot better than it was a few years ago, tho. now it actually mostly stays on (evidenced by the fact that i'm actually making this post while the park is still full). a few years ago you were lucky to get faster than dial-up when the park was only moderately full, and when the park was packed to the gills it just shut down. we're also still working on it and tweaking the system and experimenting to try to weed out the hotspots that are getting overloaded and keep things running, but the fact that we're still working on it means it occasionally needs to get reset. and we have signs up EVERYWHERE (literally, in the correct meaning of the word.) to that effect. anyways.. we're full. wifi is getting spotty, and yesterday afternoon i had a pair of teenaged girls come in the office, and one of them asks why the wifi isn't working. i forget exactly what i said, but it was some variation of "spotty wifi because of load blah blah etc etc". she gets catbutt face and immediately breaks out the classic..."i'm paying a lot to stay here..." in a snotty tone. friendly sympathetic katz goes away... "well, our wifi is free, it does tend to get spotty when there are 900 people in the park, and *points at the sign RIGHT BEHIND MY HEAD* we're working on it right now to try to improve the system, and sometimes it's going to go up and down as we make the changes, but *picks up the radio and holds it ready* i can gladly call the person in charge of the internet and find out what's going on." she says nothing but still has catbutt face. i call... and the answer i got was "we know there's wifi outages rolling through the park, we've been tracking and fixing them all day" and then he asked where the guest was located in the park, and promised to look at that node next.

when she walked out i turned to my co-worker and said "I'm paying a lot to stay here??? she was a teenager! geeze they're starting the sucky customers young." and she laughed.

second. hour or two after the other wifi complaint, a younger teen walked in and asked what the wifi password was. we currently don't have one... currently it just directs your browser and you click "connect" and that's it. i told her that, and she was like "oh. ok. we couldn't get our Netflix to work..." i stopped her and said she couldn't run Netflix, we didn't have enough bandwidth for that. she seemed accepting and went away without complaint.

and last.... about 10 minutes before we were planning on closing the jumping pillow (like a bouncy house without the house) for the night anyway, am older teenage boy comes in and informs us that his bare heel had punched a hole in the pillow. the jumping pillow... the single most popular kids attraction at our park aside from maybe the waterslide... it's nothing to have 20-30 kids on it at a time... and at $3.75 a head per day, it's not the biggest money maker of the park, but it still turns a decent daily take. and it now has a cross shaped rip in it about 8-10 inches long on one side and maybe 3-4 inches on the other... when i went up to get breakfast the pillow was still deflated... the maintenance guys are trying to settle on a glue that will hold the patch in place.. AND stand up to the abuse that the pillow endures (remember... 20-30 kids and adults etc etc) BUT... we have one of the oldest jumping pillows in the Big Yellow Campground system, and i'm (and one of the co-owners is also) worried that we've just discovered the lifespan. but WHY did it have to be right in the middle of 4th of July weekend?!?!?

on the bright side, by the time i go in for work this afternoon, most likely all the parents that bought today's wristband a day early last night will have probably already come up for their refunds and i won't have to deal with much of that. yay >.>
    Last edited by katzklaw; 07-03-2016, 03:33 PM.

His bare heel?

I don't buy that story, pity you can't charge him for repairs and lost income...

Comment

Quoth katzklaw View Post
      am older teenage boy comes in and informs us that his bare heel had punched a hole in the pillow.
      A Teenager admitted to breaking something?

Does not compute.
      Does not compute.
      Does not compute.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
        His bare heel?

I don't buy that story, pity you can't charge him for repairs and lost income...
        I'll buy it. If it's as old as the OP says it is, it's probably gotten worn, and if you come down heels first on one of those-- which you probably shouldn't, and come down more flat to spare your joints-- I could see it putting just enough stress on the pillow that it decides "Fuck it, it's been a good run, peace out!"
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

according to my husband, who actually went out and looked at the hole, the pillow is reaching threadbare status, so it's no surprise the thing is finally giving way. but couldn't it have waited 2 more days >.>

pillow is probably at least 10 years old. possibly more, depending on which previous owner is the one who installed it.

and yeah. we occasionally get decent kids in here. imagine that! XD
          Last edited by katzklaw; 07-03-2016, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
            His bare heel?
            Maybe he desperately needs a good pumice stone.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Things wear out. Last weekend I had a pair of shorts rip wide open in the back. Not at the seam but the fabric gave way. They were old and worn. All I did was shift in my seat. The fabric on the pillow has a life span too. Since the teen admitted it I suspect he didn't do anything wrong.

Comment

The fact he openly admitted it and actually let the appropriate people know so that it could be fixed pretty much pegs him as the exact OPPOSITE of an SC. Accidents happen, things break due to wear and tear.

Was good of him to own up.
                Violets are blue,
                Roses are red,
                I bequeath to thee...
                A boot to the head >_>

Comment

I just .... why go to a campground if you're just going to sit around and watch Netflix?? Can't people get by without internet for a couple of days??
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    I just .... why go to a campground if you're just going to sit around and watch Netflix?? Can't people get by without internet for a couple of days??
                    Well, the OP said they were teenagers, and going without electronics is like death to most grown adults, so I'm sure it's worse for the younger crowd. I know I've probably said this before but as a kid we went camping often. Our whole group had big RVs that nobody was allowed to use. Okay, what I mean is there was an unwritten rule that the RVs were only for sleeping, cooking, and using the bathroom. I remember one time it rained super hard the entire time we were camping. We got to sit inside and watch movies. It was a big deal, lol! One time I stayed with friends at a state park, and it was super weird to be so close to all the other campers. We normally camped in very isolated locations, like random old logging trails in the mountains. I probably don't have to tell you that my family aren't exactly social butterflies.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

ok... no. the kid who broke the pillow was awesome because he came and told us and owned up to it, and we were able to jump on fixing it, instead of finding out after the fact. i was just dreading the flood of whining about it being broken.

fortunately they put a patch on it which held all through today so far.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                        A LOT more people are doing this: Glamping
                        and they expect EVERY campground these days to be like this with all of the "modern amenanties" of a BIG camper, WiFi, hot and cold running water, etc.
                        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Glamping? That is NOT camping. I've spent WAY too many freezing cold or stifling hot nights in tents or an old camper. Been woken up by everything from raccoons to bears in the middle of the night. Been half eaten up by insects, not to mention the ear damage from my father's snoring.

Still lots of good memories of those times, although I don't know how Mom managed to stay sane...

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                            Glamping? That is NOT camping. I've spent WAY too many freezing cold or stifling hot nights in tents or an old camper. Been woken up by everything from raccoons to bears in the middle of the night. Been half eaten up by insects, not to mention the ear damage from my father's snoring.

Still lots of good memories of those times, although I don't know how Mom managed to stay sane...
                            RIGHT that is the real fun about camping. A decent weather resistant tent, a nice wood fire for light and cooking, nature sights and sounds, nature all around you including wild animals and insects and the weather.

NOT some "hotel room" that just happens to be outdoors with all of the modern amenities like internet, hot and cold water, electricity, heated bed, etc.
                            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

When I was a teenager we were pissy about no black & white Twilight Zone!
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X