This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
    The bug infested pizza morphed into something covered with maggots that everyone saw but still ate because they were so hungry.
    Strictly speaking, maggots are edible. (I wouldn't eat them, but they are made of meat.) You're no more likely to get food poisoning from maggots than from anything else that you eat while it's still alive.

As for the "so hungry" BS, I've never been so hungry that I would eat maggots, live or dead -- or food that had bugs on it -- and I sometimes forget to eat for an entire day.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      This puzzles me. Are these people unaware that we have those same holidays every year???
      It's the same as people who buy a fan/air conditioner at the beginning of the summer, then return them once the weather cools off, apparently unfamiliar with the concept that it will get hot again the same time next year.

Of course, they're just using them as "extended rentals" so they don't actually have to pay for them. Which is so stupid...a well-maintained air conditioner should be able to last for at least a decade, and isn't it worth $200 or less for a decade's worth of cool summer nights? And even a cheap fan will last for well OVER a decade.

Comment

Not to mention the waste of time and gas to pick it up and return it every year, it would make the "rental" more expensive than just buying it. Especially if there's a restocking fee which there should be...

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
          It's the same as people who buy a fan/air conditioner at the beginning of the summer, then return them once the weather cools off, apparently unfamiliar with the concept that it will get hot again the same time next year.

Of course, they're just using them as "extended rentals" so they don't actually have to pay for them. Which is so stupid...a well-maintained air conditioner should be able to last for at least a decade, and isn't it worth $200 or less for a decade's worth of cool summer nights? And even a cheap fan will last for well OVER a decade.
          I've got a pedestal fan I bought in 1998 that we use in our bedroom during the summer, and it's still going strong. I do take it apart and clean out the dust and cat hair once a year and give it a good shot of WD40, and the rest of the year it sits in the garage under a dust cover I made. Earlier this year we thought it was headed for Silicon Heaven because it started making such a racket it kept us awake, until we discovered that it was touching a dresser and the vibration from the fan was causing the tchotchkes on the dresser to knock together.

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
            Strictly speaking, maggots are edible. (I wouldn't eat them, but they are made of meat.) You're no more likely to get food poisoning from maggots than from anything else that you eat while it's still alive.

As for the "so hungry" BS, I've never been so hungry that I would eat maggots, live or dead -- or food that had bugs on it -- and I sometimes forget to eat for an entire day.
            Maggots are considered delicacies in some parts of the world, and I think they're something the survivalist people list as "almost always safe to eat, especially if you can cook them." If they were eating rotten meat you might get sick from that, but not the bug itself. I'd probably only eat them were I lost in the wilderness though.
            "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth Sparklyturtle View Post
              I've got a pedestal fan I bought in 1998 that we use in our bedroom during the summer, and it's still going strong. I do take it apart and clean out the dust and cat hair once a year and give it a good shot of WD40, and the rest of the year it sits in the garage under a dust cover I made. Earlier this year we thought it was headed for Silicon Heaven because it started making such a racket it kept us awake, until we discovered that it was touching a dresser and the vibration from the fan was causing the tchotchkes on the dresser to knock together.
              We have a couple fans still in operation that MrC and his late wife bought shortly after they got married. In 1976. We are considering replacing them simply because the power usage is much higher, and they're pretty bulky, so fitting them in the windows it tricky.
              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

I wish I still had my old, 1970s puke-gold box fan. The metal blades made such a ghostly howl. But it was oddly soothing.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I was on a forum for money-saving tips, and someone actually said it had suddenly occurred to her to box up her seasonal decorations for next year, rather than throw them away.

Comment

I posted about the maggot covered pizza drama here. It was a long drawn out saga. While I wouldn't eat maggots myself, I do know that they are pretty safe. I also know that if one has money to spend on delivered pizza, they probably also have other things to eat in their home. It was all bs and the SC honestly sounded confused when I was able to call her and tell her that she wasn't going to get millions of dollars for her lies. The entitlement burned through the whole thing.

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
                      I was on a forum for money-saving tips, and someone actually said it had suddenly occurred to her to box up her seasonal decorations for next year, rather than throw them away.
                      I have a relative who will throw anything and everything away. No dinner leftovers in her house! She will read a book or magazine and then throw it away. *shudder*

I knew a couple who converted a part of their house into a room just for all their holiday decorations. I don't think the house had a full attic, so they used the space under the eaves, it was long and narrow but had enough room along one wall for shelves. Honestly, it was brilliant. They freed up a large amount of space from their garage.
                      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

These same people buy a big TV before the Super Bowl and try to return it afterwards. It got to be so common that I think most TV stores now have well publicized policies that TVs bought in a certain time before the Super Bowl cannot be returned.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                          These same people buy a big TV before the Super Bowl and try to return it afterwards. It got to be so common that I think most TV stores now have well publicized policies that TVs bought in a certain time before the Super Bowl cannot be returned.
                          That's so stupid...it's like, will you enjoy the Super Bowl LESS if you watch it on a screen that's less than 65 inches? And a lot of TVs need to be "broken in" gradually to avoid burn-in problems, so right out of the box they'll usually look like shit unless you know how to properly calibrate the brightness and contrast levels. I dread it when I have "movie night" over my brother's house, because he apparently has no idea how to shut off the "smooth motion" feature on his set, and always has the brightness and contrast set to eyebleed-inducing levels.

Comment

Guys might not want to read this post .......... (you were warned!)

Back in the Dark Ages, I worked at a department store. I had a female return a tennis dress "because it didn't fit". Okay fine ... we have dressing rooms, but whatever. It was only after I had processed the return and went to put the item into the back that I saw that she had had her period in that dress!! It doesn't fit, but you wear it long enough to get it stained by your period? I'm not talking a couple of drops, but full on stained as in had to be damaged out! UGH

Comment

That's so stupid...it's like, will you enjoy the Super Bowl LESS if you watch it on a screen that's less than 65 inches?
                              Oh, you don't understand. The screen size doesn't really matter for watching the game. Oh, you want something everyone can easily see, of course, but beyond a certain point, it's yet one more thing guys have to do in their perpetual contest of 'measuring'. Vehicle size, engine size, tire size, lawnmower size, who's got the loudest stereo, whose got the biggest TV, who's got the largest toolbox, whose wife (or girlfriend) has the biggest boobs, etc. I'm sure you already know where this contest started.
                              Last edited by CyberLurch; 07-24-2016, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                                It doesn't fit, but you wear it long enough to get it stained by your period?
                                I'm assuming it did fit, and she didn't want to tell you that she was returning it because she stained it.

Comment

Working...
                                X