This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have sad news for you, impatient friend

You came to my counter this morning at a time when we were both understaffed and over-customered. We were slammed. The line was still three deep, populated with customers who obviously weren't thrilled to be waiting, but were making the best of it. We were both actively and transparently occupied serving customers.

It was at this point you chose to come up beside us - not to the counter, mind, not in the line, but to the place where staff need to go to walk BEHIND the counter. You asked where the thermals were.

You know, I probably would have been well within my rights to either wait your turn, or ignore you completely. But I actually answered your question, despite the fact that it was interrupting the customer I was serving. I told you, the thermals are down the back, to the right of the pajamas.

Apparently that was so offensive to you you couldn't quite believe it. How dare I not drop what I was doing and walk you down there? How very dare indeed! Thankfully, S, our glorious merchandiser, walked past and offered to take you down there, as if my directions weren't plain enough (they were. The department's not THAT big).

Your remark, to S but aimed at me, that "well, you'd bloody better or I'll be here all friggin' day" was uncalled for, inappropriate, and unacceptable. S didn't deserve that disrespect. I didn't deserve that disrespect. The customers who were waiting patiently didn't deserve to hear that disrespect.

I have sad news for you, impatient friend: in the real world, sometimes you will have to wait for what you want. This country was colonized by the English some years ago. The English are famous for their love of queues. This country has embraced that, for the most part. I suggest you do too. You're a disgrace, and I'm glad I refused to serve you when you finally sauntered up to the counter.

I have a new personal policy: I'm demanding basic respect from everyone I encounter.
    Now, I'd like to digress from my prepared remarks to discuss how I invented the terlet...

What a tool! I'm glad you refused to serve the self-centered twat!

Comment

Quoth veniteangeli View Post
      How dare I not drop what I was doing and walk you down there? How very dare indeed!
      If you weren't on the other side of the planet, I'd thing you were serving my customers. We have a take-a-ticket system at the cutting counter, and most customers don't seem to comprehend that it exists (despite the fact that the ticket dispenser is right on the corner of the counter, and there's a rather large triple-screen displaying which number is being served right above the counter, oh, and the periodic announcements over the tannoy). Far too often, I'll be serving one customer, and another will come up to me, completely disregarding the customer I'm currently serving, and ask me for assistance! It really ticks me off when I'm in the middle of measuring out a large amount of fabric and Interruptus Maximus makes me lose count. And of course, I'm the rude one for not dropping what I'm doing and immediately helping Interruptus Maximus!

I really, really wish the customer who gets interrupted would say something, like, "Excuse me, she is helping me right now, you need to take a ticket and wait your turn." They never do, of course, and if we do, we're called rude and complained about.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Today at my store someone called the store from inside the store because we "had no one on the floor" to help her. Nobody had come to ask for help at the cutting counter or register. I guess she just thought an employee would materialize out of thin air, and when that didn't happen she just stood exactly where she was and called.

Our customer service person was finishing at the cutting counter and went straight over. She was loudly complaining how the woman as she was walking over to help her. So that might not end well. I honestly wish that we hadn't had anyone to help, because now this person was essentially rewarded for being selfish, just like the person in the OP got immediate help when he/she didn't deserve it.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
          I really, really wish the customer who gets interrupted would say something, like, "Excuse me, she is helping me right now, you need to take a ticket and wait your turn." They never do, of course, and if we do, we're called rude and complained about.
          This is actually good to know. I always feel a little selfish saying "I'm being helped now" but if I think of it in terms of "the sales clerk needs backup" it gets easier to stand my ground.

Comment

Why should you feel selfish for standing up for yourself? It's your turn, and the SC is interrupting your turn. The fact that it also helps the employee who is helping you is a bonus.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
            X