This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, I'm not a manager

but I don't need to be to see the inherent danger in this request. It could've been a man or woman but it was hard to tell so I'll say he/him. So here's his story:

--bought a TV "last week" or "not too long ago". You don't really know when you bought it, do you? That's not suspicious...
    --Opened it up and it was broken. Wants to exchange it. We can't even exchange without a receipt. The system won't let us.
    --No receipt, paid cash, doesn't even have the box it came in.
    Yeah..no.

After going round and round for a bit I had to tell him we need some kind of information in order to process it. We need the item number, serial code, and proof of purchase. Who buys an expensive electronics item and doesn't save the receipt? Even though we can look up the transaction in the system, how do we know that was him and not some other person? I smelled a rat. I just wish I'd had a chance to give him to AP Guy on the phone, but I was hung up on before I could. That would've been entertaining.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Also, who buys a TV and doesn't open the box as soon as they get home? And if he did, and it was already broken, who waits a week or more to complain about it? Wouldn't you take it back the store immediately? Definitely fishy.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Took it out of the box. It was broken and he threw away the box.

Yeah. No way.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        Also, who buys a TV and doesn't open the box as soon as they get home? .
        Actually I did this. about 5 years ago I bought the new HD TV and a suitable stand, checked for external damage and set everything up like a week or 10 days later so I could schedule help with breaking down the old BIG and BULKY entertainment center, moving the old BIG and BULKY 30 inch tube TV and then putting together the new stand mounting the new TV and wiring everything up.

BUT yes I did save the receipts for quite a while and I still have the TV box downstairs
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Agreed

Quoth csquared View Post
          Took it out of the box. It was broken and he threw away the box.

Yeah. No way.
          That is not normal. I can see someone buying the TV and not opening the box right-a-way. I can even see people with bad memories have problems remembering the exact day they bought the TV if it was more than two weeks ago.

But to open the box, find the TV is broken, yet still throw away the box and receipt? If you are that dumb then you need the idiot tax to be applied.

Comment

Scam, scam scam...scam scammity scam.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Sort of the same thing happened to us. Bought new TV during a good sale but had to stick it in storage for a month because of a sudden and unexpected move (house fires are lovely...at least we didn't have it home yet). When we opened the box it didn't work. Fortunately we'd used our rewards plan at the Big Blue with Yellow Tag Electronics Store so they had a record of the purchase. They let us exchange it.
              "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I also have purchased a television when it was on sale, then left it boxed for a few weeks while we completed some remodeling.

However, had I discovered it was broken upon taking it out of the box, I would not have thrown the box away. That is where the lie of the SC's story was exposed.
                "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

i'm assembling a computer for my husband's birthday... surprise present. i've been ordering a few parts every paycheck, and assembling as i get them (when i have time away from him of course). so i have parts that i bought and paid for, but are untested months later....

he found the box for the power supply, thought it was the box for MY power supply (had to replace it over the winter) and he threw the empty box away. now when i attempted to POST his new comp, no beeps. i'm worried that i have a bad power supply that's a couple months old, and no box... and i'm up the proverbial creek

Comment

I bought a TV last year and it's still in the box. Got it super duper dirt cheap at Walmart because the remote is missing and since I used to work at that particular store, the manager gave me an extra discount because he misses me a bunch lol.

One of these days I'll open it up and actually use it

Comment

Quoth drjonah View Post
                      Just so long as you don't try to return it [DUCKS UNDER DESK]
                      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth drjonah View Post
                        I bought a TV last year and it's still in the box. Got it super duper dirt cheap at Walmart because the remote is missing and since I used to work at that particular store, the manager gave me an extra discount because he misses me a bunch lol.

I hope you'll find the missing remote hidden inside.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                          [DUCKS UNDER DESK]
                          Just curious, but is the bottle of booze in your filing cabinet Old Crow whiskey or Grey Goose vodka?
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                            Scam, scam scam...scam scammity scam.
                            You forgot the Viking invasion.
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Hey, Food Lady, I bought a TV last week, but it's broken and I want to return it. Could you give me a refund if I bring in the broken tv next week?
                              The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comment

Working...
                              X