This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cash deposit tomfoolery

The hotel I work for takes a fifty dollar deposit on rooms that pay cash. The deposit is returned after the room is checked.

The other morning a gentleman approached the desk and wanted to check out his room and get his deposit back. The problem was that his wife's name was on the envelope with the deposit and we usually check rooms before returning the deposit.

He left and a short time later his wife came down. She was outraged that I had sent our houseman up to the room to check it first. She could not believe we would have the nerve to actually want to see if the room had been smoked in before refunding the deposit. She was even more outraged when I asked for her ID. I told her it was for her security. She sneered and told me "no it was for hotel security." How would she have felt if I had just refunded some random guest her money?

She left and her husband stormed back in and demanded the refund back. I had to tell him I had given it to his wife. He goes out to verify this.

Holy cow. Deposits are taken for a reason. We just don't refund your money without checking first. That would negate the reason for a deposit.

I would say smoking is the least of the hotel's worries. I would be more concerned about the SC stealing items from the room, which seems to be fairly common now

Comment

outrage

All that outrage while on vacation, what must their home life be like.

Comment

Quoth ML2000 View Post
        I would be more concerned about the SC stealing items from the room, which seems to be fairly common now
        or vandalizing the place
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

SC should feel lucky it's only $50 at your place. At my hotel, it's $200.
          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth ML2000 View Post
            I would be more concerned about the SC stealing items from the room, which seems to be fairly common now
            I'd have thought it had been common for a LONG time. In the James Bond novel "The Spy Who Loved Me" (the movies frequently keep only the title and one character), the narrator gets a job at a motel and is warned about young couples with station wagons renting a room and then stealing everything.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

It's common enough that I stayed at a hotel once that had a price list on the wall for every.single.thing in the room - fridge, TV, microwave, batteries in the remote control.

Comment

Quoth LesserSouthernFroglet View Post
                It's common enough that I stayed at a hotel once that had a price list on the wall for every.single.thing in the room - fridge, TV, microwave, batteries in the remote control.
                That's just sad...

Comment

I stayed at one in the land of beer and cheese which had a posted notice of a $500 deposit for locals only. When I asked the manager about that, he told me it was to deter parties.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                    I stayed at one in the land of beer and cheese which had a posted notice of a $500 deposit for locals only. When I asked the manager about that, he told me it was to deter parties.
                    KhirasHY (another hotel worker) once said one of the things he hated most was locals who rented rooms to party in...

Comment

If they do the kind of damage to warrant a deposit of that magnitude, I can't say I blame him.

Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...
                      X