This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth wolfie View Post
    Why would it be a big deal getting to the sleeper? I thought British railways had sleepers every couple feet along ALL their tracks.
    Well, I mean the night train. The normal, daytime trains are faster *and* take a more direct route, but then you miss the last connection at Inverness and have to sit there for hours on end, so it's two hours slower overall.

The other possible meaning of "sleeper train" is as part of major engineering works...

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
      If you're looking for long distances in the same state, all that's dwarfed by I10 across Texas. According to my atlas, it's around 840 miles from El Paso to the Louisiana line - or around half the distance from where TC17 crosses from Manitoba to where 417 reaches Ottawa.
      Oh, there are definitely longer distances within a state. I was trying to find a distance comparable to the one being described, so that Americans would appreciate the distance.

And yes, I've driven I-10 across Texas. Still remember crossing the border from Louisiana into Beaumont and seeing a sign that read "Exit 889." Which told me just how far it was going to be until New Mexico. 889 miles is a looooong way to drive....and beyond my personal capabilities for a single day. (Although different websites cite different distances from the east end of I-10 in Texas to the west end. But I am guessing it is closer to 889, since they tend to number the exits by the mileage.....)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
        Well, I mean the night train. The normal, daytime trains are faster *and* take a more direct route, but then you miss the last connection at Inverness and have to sit there for hours on end, so it's two hours slower overall.

The other possible meaning of "sleeper train" is as part of major engineering works...
        I was making a pun - in Britain, "sleeper" in the railroading sense means the same thing that "tie" does on this side of the pond - the chunk of 8x10 creosote-soaked wood that the rails are spiked onto.

Quoth Jester View Post
        And yes, I've driven I-10 across Texas. Still remember crossing the border from Louisiana into Beaumont and seeing a sign that read "Exit 889." Which told me just how far it was going to be until New Mexico. 889 miles is a looooong way to drive....and beyond my personal capabilities for a single day.
        Definitely a long way. Commercial drivers in the U.S. are allowed 11 hours of driving per day, and unless you've got a FLAT all-interstate route, 600 miles is about the furthest you can get in one day. Assuming a 60 MPH average speed, you'd be looking at almost 15 hours, which is longer than the elapsed-time "window" you have before you're required to shut down, regardless of how many hours you've driven.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

From many road trips, including my tour around the country in '98 and '99, I know that my personal limit is 800 miles or 15 hours, whichever comes first. I'm not a commercial driver, so I have no legal limits set on me, but I know the time I drove from Key West to Florence, SC--a total of 820 miles--I was quite literally seeing things by the time I finally pulled over.

And I should have pulled over sooner, not just because I was no longer a safe driver, but because Florence--at least the part of it by the interstate--was a major shithole.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

So, anyway, getting back on topic about the terrible fires - hope all our Australian members stay safe.
            Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

We've had some wildfires here...but nothing like the ones Australia gets. Last one I remember, was deep in West Virginia...about 250 miles or so south. Even with that distance, we still got the smoke. Couldn't smell it, but it did block out the sun for a couple of days.

With that said, I do hope that everyone in Oz stays safe.
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I'm well away from the fires, but I'm stealing all of the rain again.
                Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                  So, anyway, getting back on topic about the terrible fires - hope all our Australian members stay safe.
                  Working on it, Ree.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Mishi View Post
                    I'm well away from the fires, but I'm stealing all of the rain again.
                    Darn you Queenslandians! *fistshakies*
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Not to mention that those damn Queenslanders get first dibs on Murray/Darling river system water. I ask you - is that fair?

Heh. Quote from the Wikipedia article: "The many rivers it contains ... carry a volume of water that is large only by Australian standards."

We RELY on that 'large only by Australian standards' water. That's our agriculture water, and also feeds four of our capital cities - the four largest, in fact. But I'll bet the entire Murray/Darling system's water volume is dwarfed by any 'medium sized' river on the other continents.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Hey! I'm sharing now!
                        Also, I really wish I had water tanks. I think we must be the only household on the street without them.
                        Last edited by Mishi; 02-27-2013, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Quoth Mishi View Post
                          Hey! I'm sharing now!
                          Also, I really wish I had water tanks. I think we must be the only household on the street without them.
                          No kidding in that you are sharing! Adelaide's been getting anything from a drizzler to a full on soaking.

Also, we don't have water tanks either. Tempting though.
                          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Would you like some more? I don't mind sharing!
                            Our ground is now saturated, and I'm hoping for a short break in the rain tomorrow so I can throw some seeds at the garden.

Comment

Send it down to Tasmania, we really need it.

We had a rainy day earlier this week, it was wonderful, but typical Tassie rain (mist with attitude rather than a good pounding downpour) and didn't last long enough.

The amount of roadkill on my commute to work (along the river) is astounding, I've never seen it this bad in the 4 years I've lived here. It's because all the little feral furries are coming down to the river for water, or chased down by the bushfires in the hills behind the road.

One night in a 15km stretch I counted 27 wallabies on or near the road - I make that trip at that time at least once a week, and I've never seen more than two or three. And now they're out there in groups of three or four... it's no wonder I see so many poor little squished ones on the road each morning.

Comment

Working...
                              X