This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drinking straw dispenser

I'm looking for a tabletop drinking straw dispenser (dump a bunch of straws in the top, pull them out one at a time from the slot at the bottom), and would prefer one where you don't need to push down the "tray" that they come out on in order to get one. I've tried WalMart, IKEA, and a couple housewares places, but have come up dry.

The type that the Golden Arches used to have (before they switched to paper-wrapped straws) is a bit big, but is pretty much ideal (of course, it's no longer available). I don't want to have to place a special order with the manager of the local Royal Burger (they use a "press down to dispense" variety - anyone know where I can get a dispenser either retail or online? Thanks.

Why am I looking for this? My father's hands are rather shaky, so he needs to use a straw for his coffee. The package in the kitchen cupboard is "out of sight, out of mind", so he's got into the habit of re-using the same straw. I'm looking for something that would make it convenient to take a fresh straw, and inconvenient to put back a used one.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Here's one, but it's over 40 bucks. Intended for use with wrapped straws.

There are a bunch out there that don't have the push-down tab requirement, but have a rotating spindle instead. Same issue.

Haven't found any that are "inconvenient" to refill, though the notion of putting an unwrapped straw back in with wrapped ones might be a minor psychological barrier.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

If you've got a "Smart & Final" or other such industrial supply outfit around, such devices can be found there.
      Otherwise, Amazon (as above), EBay, etc.

Comment

Do a google local search for "restaurant supply". They have stuff housewares chains don't carry.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

SWDIS-AC Acrylic Drinking Straw Dispenser. Looks to be the turn the knob to let one come out style. Under $20 (but no idea how much shipping would run).
          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Find an independant living/assistive living shop near you; they may or may not have it themselves, their suppliers may or may not have it in their catalogue...

But THOSE are the people who are used to hunting around for oddities for helping folks with disabilities. Make yourself one of the customers retail folks like to bend over backwards for, and not only will they somehow magically source this for you, they'll source all sorts of other stuff for your Dad as he needs them.

As an example of the sort of shop I mean, Independant Living Centres is the website for one of the Australian chains.
            (Ironically, their website could be much more disability-friendly.... )
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
            X