This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But "they" told me!

I'm on my second go 'round in wireless customer service, working for the "red checkmark". I honestly believe that the cell phone industry deals with some of the MOST entitled SCs on the planet...

That's not FAIR!

Me: Thank you for calling <red checkmark>, how may I help you?
    SC: Yeah, when I got home from work last night, my Galaxy Note 3 wouldn't turn on. I've plugged it into the charger, taken the battery out, held down the power button and it's not responding at all.
    Me: Ok, well let's try a few more tricks to see if we can get it to come back.
    (I run through some troubleshooting...no luck)
    Me: It appears this phone is a goner and will need to be replaced, your warranty expired one month ago but I checked your account and you're upgrade eligible at the moment so you could get a replacement device that way. If you'd prefer to not be under a contract we also have our installment plan available.
    SC: One month? I'm only one month out of warranty? That sucks. I swear it's almost like Samsung did this to me on purpose.
    (yes you're right, Samsung techs have nothing better to do than brick random Note 3's shortly after they go off warranty)
    Me: I work with these phones all day long and I know it sucks that have a phone die on you so soon after the warranty ends but I assure you it's nothing Samsung has done deliberately.
    SC: Can't you guys like, do anything for me? I mean it's only one month.
    Me: I understand what you're saying, but the manufacturers set the warranty for one year. Thirteen months is longer than one year. As a reminder you do have your upgrade available to get a replacement.
    SC: I really don't want to use my upgrade and be stuck under a contract if I don't need to. This is so stupid that I'm just stuck with a dead phone, I mean that's not fair to me. It's only a few weeks off warranty.
    Me: I sympathize sir and I know it's inconvenient but there's no getting around the fact that it is off warranty. I would be happy to further discuss your other options with you if you like.
    SC: No, thank you. This is NOT fair to me and I don't think I should be stuck with a useless phone this close to the end of the warranty nor should I be required to pay for a replacement.
    Me: Again, I understand but there are no "no cost" replacement options available to you at this time.
    SC: Okay, can I like, speak to a manager or something? This is ridiculous.
    (I am in full agreement with you)
    Me: Certainly, please hold while I bring one on the line.

My manager promptly shot down the SC. He's good like that.

But "they" told me...

I don't know who this mysterious "they" are but apparently they are some shadowy group that only exist to make outrageous promises to our customers without leaving any record behind apparently as a means of playing some kind of sick joke on us.

(Summary: Customer calls in about a data connection problem, he's called in about it before and though it's been fixed, the problem seems to reappear every couple of months or so. Of course the customer swears he has no clue why)

Me: Well since this problem keeps reoccurring with this phone I believe it's time to get it replaced. Let me look at your options. Well, you have no insurance, and aren't upgrade eligible yet. You're also off warranty but you could get a new phone under our installment plan.
    SC: Well here's the thing, the last time I called about this, they told me (Oh boy, here it comes...) that if I needed to get my phone replaced, you guys would cover it at no charge.
    Me: That's exactly what they told you?
    SC: That's what the guy said, yes.
    Me: Let me take a moment to check the notes. (Of course, it's not in the notes, it's NEVER in the notes. I'm not saying Reps never make stupid promises to customers, but they seldom note them when they do. For situations like this, if nothing is in the notes, we cannot honor it)
    Me: I do see a record of the call you're talking about but there is no mention in the notes about us promising you a free replacement. I am not calling you a liar, but since there is no record of the promise we won't be able to honor it.
    SC: Oh come on! That's stupid!
    Me: I apologize sir and again, I'm not doubting what you were told but we do have policies to abide by here and as much as I may want to, I can't just press a magic button and give you a free phone.
    SC: They told me they would replace it.
    Me: Do you happen to remember the name of the person who told you this?
    SC: No, I don't. (Of course not, they NEVER do!)
    Me: Well then I'm afraid I won't be able to do much for you in that regard, but we can still talk about replacement options if you like.
    SC: What I'd like is for your company to give me the phone you promised me.
    Me: As I already said, without any record of that, there's nothing we can do about it.
    SC: That's bullshit, can I speak to your supervisor please?
    Me: Certainly, please hold while I contact him.

As before, my manager gets on and shoots down the SC. Did I mention he's good at this?

Let me get this straight...

We sent you an Iphone. You claim you never got it. Yet we have proof it was delivered to YOUR address and our records also indicate the device was active on your account for awhile after that date. Despite this, you still swear up and down you never got the phone and never used it and someone must have swiped it from you and somehow used your SIM card in it for a brief period of time, then returned said SIM card to your previous phone, all without you knowing.

I am therefore forced to conclude that you share a neighborhood with highly skilled ninja pranksters who apparently have waaay too much time on their hands.

Let me get right on that credit for you...NOT!

In which I lose more faith in humanity

SC: Yeah, something's messed up on my phone, I can't hear my ringtones when people call me! I've missed a whole bunch of calls, you all need to fix this now.
    Me: Well, the problem is either the speaker or the settings on your phone.
    SC: I checked the speaker settings, that ain't it!
    Me: Ok then. With your permission, I'd like to connect with your device and check some other settings to help get this problem fixed.
    SC: Sure go ahead.
    (note: I quite like having a remote tool available to me, makes troubleshooting certain calls soooo much easier)
    Me: Ok, well everything seems stable and functional so far. Let's go ahead and double check your sound settings.
    (I pull up the volume settings and sure enough, his ringtone volume is set to about as low as you can possibly get it short of having no sound at all. I tell him to slide it up to maximum)
    Me: Alright, let me make a test call to you and see what happens.
    SC: Hey! It's working now! Thanks so much man, you're awesome!
    (If only all my calls were this easy...)

Short and not so sweet

I was speaking to a woman who told me three, count 'em THREE times that she saw absolutely nothing beside the signal bars on her phone. Ten minutes into the call I discover there was something there: Her wifi indicator. I tell her to turn it off and magically she has mobile network access again.

Thank you madam for wasting eight minutes of my life. Really, I had nothing better to do with them anyway.
    Last edited by CrazedClerkthe2nd; 04-07-2014, 05:02 AM.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

I just figured it out!

"THEY" are the Magical Ninja Pranksters! And they were hiding the Wifi indicator too!

....I'll be they turned down that poor guys volume as well
    How ever do they manage to breathe for themselves without having to call tech support? - Argabarga

Comment

"THEY" are the Magical Ninja Pranksters!
      ...do we have a new meme?
      I don’t have enough middle fingers to show you how I feel about you.
      - Twitter, via Boredpanda.com, via Youtube

Right. Well. When you manage to pull the concussed deer of your intellect away from the oncoming headlights of life let me know. - Grave keeper

Comment

Quoth TimmyHate View Post
        I just figured it out!

"THEY" are the Magical Ninja Pranksters! And they were hiding the Wifi indicator too!

....I'll be they turned down that poor guys volume as well
        Mind = Blown.
        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Ah, the dreaded 'this is ridiculous!' I never knew before I worked in tech support that this phrase is the battle cry of the entitled. As soon as it's spoken it's time to duck and cover.

That first caller... *shakes head* How hard is it to understand the term '12 month warranty'? It's only a month out of warranty is a valid argument how? It's only a short step from that to 'it's only two months, three months...' and what's the point of having a limited warranty at all?

Well do I understand the idiocy of those who don't have basic common sense. The sound is low? Turn up your volume? Your TV won't turn on? Maybe you should plug it in. How do these people function?

LMAO at the Magical Ninja Pranksters. They must be in the same union with The HDMI Bandits, who sneak into people's homes to unplug their HDMI cables and will sometimes stop to unplug all of their other devices as well.

Seriously, I have actually had more than one customer try to convince me some nefarious criminal broke in and unplugged their stuff because 'there's no way *I* did it'!

Comment

In aus, our warranty terms are now x years plus whatever's deemed "reasonable"
            Apparently 1 yr is not enough for certain electronics. Does make dealing with just out of warranty repairs a breeze, "It's just out of warranty, so let's see what the manufacturer will do"
            Instantly on the customer's side, and no blowback on me if the manufacturer says nope

Comment

Make them like they used to make video game consoles! I have a NES top loader from 1993, a SNES from early 90s, Genesis from early 90s, all of which and their cartridges work perfectly even after 20 years or more.

Is this what they mean by they don't make 'em like they used to?

Comment

There THEY go again I wish THEY would MYOB and quit misleading custys.
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
                  Make them like they used to make video game consoles! I have a NES top loader from 1993, a SNES from early 90s, Genesis from early 90s, all of which and their cartridges work perfectly even after 20 years or more.
                  Keep in mind the S/NES had almost no moving parts. Its the mechanicals that get you ;P

Also, I wouldn't want to see the size of the cart it would take to get a Bluray game on.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

"Only" a month out of warranty?? And you gave him a bunch of perfectly decent options but Noooo, none of those were good enough. EW to the max.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

In which I lose more faith in humanity

SC: Yeah, something's messed up on my phone, I can't hear my ringtones when people call me! I've missed a whole bunch of calls, you all need to fix this now.
                      Me: Well, the problem is either the speaker or the settings on your phone.
                      SC: I checked the speaker settings, that ain't it!
                      Me: Ok then. With your permission, I'd like to connect with your device and check some other settings to help get this problem fixed.
                      SC: Sure go ahead.
                      (note: I quite like having a remote tool available to me, makes troubleshooting certain calls soooo much easier)
                      Me: Ok, well everything seems stable and functional so far. Let's go ahead and double check your sound settings.
                      (I pull up the volume settings and sure enough, his ringtone volume is set to about as low as you can possibly get it short of having no sound at all. I tell him to slide it up to maximum)
                      Me: Alright, let me make a test call to you and see what happens.
                      SC: Hey! It's working now! Thanks so much man, you're awesome!
                      (If only all my calls were this easy...)

I had something similar happen a couple of years ago. My iPhone would vibrate, but no sound on calls / texts. I used to turn the volume down to minimum for some things, but always turned it back up again, and even though I checked the settings, it was silent.

So I took it over to the phone shop, and asked somebody about it. He took one look at the phone then flipped a switch on the side (that I hadn't even noticed before), and voila! Instant sound.

Cue a very red Froglet. I was sooooo embarassed!

Comment

Quoth mysticgirl5 View Post
                        That first caller... *shakes head* How hard is it to understand the term '12 month warranty'? It's only a month out of warranty is a valid argument how? It's only a short step from that to 'it's only two months, three months...' and what's the point of having a limited warranty at all?
                        I had a computer's cooling fan die about three days after the end of the warranty. Did I call the company that sold me it and demand a free cooling fan? Well, no, they had gone bankrupt by that point, but I wouldn't have gone there in the first place...
                        "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
                        Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                          Also, I wouldn't want to see the size of the cart it would take to get a Bluray game on.
                          Probably about the size of a Genesis cart I'd imagine, and most of that would be protective shell and a ruggedized connector. The actual memory required could fit on something the size of a microSD card.
                          Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                            Probably about the size of a Genesis cart I'd imagine, and most of that would be protective shell and a ruggedized connector. The actual memory required could fit on something the size of a microSD card.
                            If you want to go with all modern tech, sure. I was thinking more along the lines of technology of the day though.
                            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Since "they" were the ones that gave the customer that deal, command the customer to contact "them" since "they" can go above what you can provide them.

Comment

Working...
                              X