This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep your receipt

Fall in the Garden Center means we need to get rid of stuff before Christmas shows up, especially the big stuff, like the display mowers, grills and patio sets.

We had a mother and daughter last weekend make an offer for two Patio sets for $100 each (regular price $150 & $185) and my AM said yes.

Saturday the DM gets a phone call from the daughter. Apparently a neighbor saw the two patio sets and called the police to report them as stolen. And the police actually responded and wanted proof of purchase. Naturally they didn't keep their receipt, but once the officer talked to my DM and I confirmed that I saw them pay for them before I loaded them I guess everything was OK.

Except maybe for that neighbor.
    "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Jealous neighbor much?

Comment

wth?

I suppose I can just barely wrap my head around "Those neighbors are way too poor (I don't like them) to buy multiple patio sets (and I'm an assmonkey) so Imma call them in." But what cop shop has time/inclination to run down that sort of thing?
      Also, I love our folks in blue, but if they showed up at my door and wanted "proof-of-purchase" for something in my yard, I think I'd ask for SOME sort of reasonable cause - recent unsolved cases of patio furniture theft or me walking around with the mask and stripey shirt of a cartoon burglar... something, anything.

Comment

I think the neighbour was more sucky!

Comment

I, too, am shocked the cop didn't tell the nosy neighbors to take a proverbial hike.

Comment

The OP didn't say, but i'm wondering if the neighbor reported the patio sets as their property and that the they were stolen from them.
            Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

DWM - seems likely.
              Quoth sirwired View Post
              I, too, am shocked the cop didn't tell the nosy neighbors to take a proverbial hike.
              I'm sure he would have liked to -- but in the US, at least, he doesn't actually have a choice in the matter, iirc.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
                I think the neighbour was more sucky!
                Definitely. What business was it of his if his neighbors had a new patio set? If I were the cop responding to the neighbor's call, I would have told him to stuff it.

Comment

I can definitely understand why the customer didn't keep the receipt since it was clearance and most retail places sell clearance stuff 'as is'.

Comment

I hope the cop came back and gave sucky neighbor hell for wasting his time...

Comment

I'm seriously hoping they get nailed for filing a false report.
                      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        I'm sure he [the cop] would have liked to -- but in the US, at least, he doesn't actually have a choice in the matter, iirc.
                        Wouldn't the best thing for the officer to do is compare recent reports of stolen outdoor sets to the ones in the yard? If he's really interested, he could casually call local business during business hours to inquire about missing goods. Case closed?

Comment

Quoth Firecrackers Not Included View Post
                          Wouldn't the best thing for the officer to do is compare recent reports of stolen outdoor sets to the ones in the yard? If he's really interested, he could casually call local business during business hours to inquire about missing goods. Case closed?
                          Ya, but that would take more time.

I feel bad for police, they get caught in the middle of this stupid, petty crap all the time.
                          I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post

I feel bad for police, they get caught in the middle of this stupid, petty crap all the time.
                            Reminds me of an episode of Cops where a lady complains that her neighbor stole her pot plant. Lesson learned, don't keep your pot in pots.
                            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                              Reminds me of an episode of Cops where a lady complains that her neighbor stole her pot plant. Lesson learned, don't keep your pot in pots.
                              Another lesson learned, don't keep pot plants at ALL.
                              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                              X