This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck between a rock and a hard place

A guy wants to pay for a room for his daughter. He's in California. We're in Colorado. We are not allowed to take CC over the phone. We could get written up for it, or even let go if it happens often enough.

According to the guy, the daughter is escaping an abusive situation and has nowhere to stay. If this is a legit story, then I'm potentially putting someone in danger.

No matter what I do, someone's not going to be happy.
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

He couldn't send her/you guys some money via Western Union, perhaps? I understand the policy of not taking CCs over the phone because of the risk of fraud...
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Per management, we require a CC, so wired money would unfortunately not work.
      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Here is what I would have told him to do.
        1) go to a Western Union office or their website and send the money to her for pick up at a nearby office. Near instant and all she needs is an ID.
        2) go online and book the room via the website (or third party site) and pay for it at that time. I did this for my parents all the time. I used my card and booked the room in their name without any trouble.

By doing this the room would be taken care of and they would put money in her pocket to pay for the deposit and for food.

Edit: Just saw your reply. Required CC makes my trick hard. He would be able to find a different hotel online at least.
        Last edited by Arcus; 10-10-2014, 08:59 AM.

Comment

So your hotel never has travelers that don't have a credit card? No provision for cash deposits?

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
            So your hotel never has travelers that don't have a credit card? No provision for cash deposits?
            No. We saw too much abuse with just having cash on hand, so manager had to get stricter on policy.

Comment

Alternatively, Western Union cash to her. She buys a prepaid credit card. >.>
              Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Or

Western Union her the needed money plus even some more money.

Now she has the money for a taxi to go and find a motel/hotel that will take her in.

Or contact the police to find a Woman's Shelter.

Or use the money to get on a train/bus going to where she wants to be and sleep in the seating until she arrives.

Once she has money, she has options.

Comment

Does the hotel management allow people to FAX over signed credit card authorizations? Or, did they do so in the past and get burned one too many times?

Maybe it would be best for her to go to the cops over this matter x.x
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

You titled this thread well, Mr. Hero. This is definately a no-win. I agree with EK: contact your local DV shelter.
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Actually we do allow faxed authorization, and offered him that option. I tried to fax the form but there were problems on his end.

Comment

Fortunately, when our daughter was in such a situation, we were able to deposit money into her bank account (Bank of 'Murica is nationwide) and she was able to get across the country. Handy that.

I hope it worked out for her.
                        I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Hero - Then there was nothing more you could have done as far as the room went, Hero x.x
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It's sadly ironic that so many people HAVE "cried wolf" and claimed to be in life-threatening situations merely to circumvent company policy they find inconvenient that the first thought upon hearing such is to be suspicious. Oh well, as others have pointed out, if you're REALLY in immediate danger, your first call should be the police, not a retail establishement.
                            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I don't know if your area has any, but there are shelters out there specifically for these situations. They also tend to be pretty secure, and generally free. Again, I don't know if that was an option. And you don't get to override policy when you feel bad for someone. Well, you can't if you want to keep your job.
                              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
                              X