This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oi! What a day.

Today started out pretty good. I went with my mom and stepdad to the doctor's office in the morning and then we stopped at IHOP for lunch. Fastforward a few hours later and my stepdad and I went by the rehab center to visit my grandmother. Only to find her hooked up to an oxygen machine. Turns out she has pneumonia and nobody bothered to tell any of us. Well, my stepdad went back to the house to get my mother (her stamina had run out and she was resting) and brought her back to the rehab center. She and my grandma had a good talk and then we went back home.

We got a call just after 10:00PM tonight saying that my grandma had fallen and gashed her head and they were sending her to the local hospital. Fortunately, all of the x-rays and such showed her brain was normal and nothing was broken. The doctor sewed her forehead up and as of the time we left, we thought they were sending her back to the rehab center.

Well, so much for that. We got a call just a few minutes ago, saying she had passed out while using the restroom so they're keeping her at the hospital overnight to see if they can figure out what happened.
    Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Oi, indeed. I hope they figure it out!
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Well, my grandma died about 4:30 this morning. The nurse said they had gotten her into the room and she was asking her some questions. My grandma turned over on her side and then rolled back over on her back and stopped breathing within seconds. The nurse said she went very quickly and very peacefully. I know she's no longer hurting and she's with family now but I'm still going to miss her so much.

Comment

*hugs* sorry to hear that Teysa. My thoughts are with you and your family.
        I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Thank you, Gizmo. I was too numb to cry earlier and now the tears won't stop. I wasn't ready to lose my grandma.

Comment

I'm so sorry. We just went through something similar w/ my grandma. She'd broken her hip in mid-November, and made it through surgery & the rehab facility. She'd moved into assisted living (she thought it was temporary, and she'd be returning to her home), but at 94 1/2, she didn't need to be living alone, especially after breaking 2 hips in 6 years. They went to get her for breakfast one day, and she had passed in her sleep. Very peaceful, and it was actually a relief, since she was not happy in the assisted living.

My condolances on your loss.
            That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

My condolences...I just lost my sister (who was older so grandma age) in January and I was NOT ready for that either.
              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Sorry for your loss. Vent if you have to.

Rapscallion

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss, but at least you guys got to see her one last time before she went, which is good. Also good that she apparently didn't suffer much, if any.

Of course, that doesn't make it suck any less. We're here if you need us.
                  "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

oh my god talk about having rug from pulled under you. I'm so sorry to hear of this. Hugs from me and kitty bonks from Ivory Kitty.
                    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

I'm so sorry. Sounds like your grandmother's body just gave out.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Oh my! I'm so sorry for your loss.

Comment

*scratches Ivory Kitty behind the ears* Thank you everyone. I knew after my grandma's brother died that she wouldn't last much longer, but I was hoping for a bit more time than this. We'd had a special bond since I was a child. One of the best times of my life was when I spent about two months with her after I came home from being an exchange student. She taught me so many things from how to make the perfect pie crust to how to hammer a nail in straight and even how to drive. Brave woman, my grandma.

I am very thankful that she went peacefully and that at least she didn't have any long drawn out illnesses. I'm even more thankful that I have these precious memories to treasure. My grandma treated everyone with kindness. In fact, I don't think I ever heard her say an unkind word to or about anyone.

She looked like the type of person you needed to mind your manners with. That is, until she blew her straw wrapper at you and grinned.

Comment

She sounds like a wonderful person. My condolences.
                            Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

my condolences on your loss..my grandmother is in her late 80's & has Alzheimer's, she uses a walker to get around & the day after Christmas she fell in her bedroom while trying to use the restroom (she has a portable commode next to her bed) & broke her hip. So I've been in your shoes
                              "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Comment

Working...
                              X