X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a dollar Ok?

Customer: Excuse me, how much is this?
    Me: 100 cents
    Customer: *looks confused and looks through wallet and pulls out two dollars* Is...this...enough?
    Me: O_O' Err...you need one more dollar.
    Customer: AH! ok. *hands me THREE DOLLARS*
    Me:

Bit mean, don't you think? Why couldn't you just say it was a dollar?
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
      What exactly is mean about it? Everyone with a proper brain should be able to connect 100 cents = 1 dollar. But he proceeded to give me THREE.

Comment

I once confused a CSR by doing this:

CSR: "That's $10."
        Me: [handing over two $5 notes] "OK, two pink ladies"

Turns out she'd never heard "pink lady" referring to the Australian $5 note before. (as for why, just have a look at it: http://www.rba.gov.au/CurrencyNotes/...ve_dollar.html )

Comment

Quoth Blackbuster Critic View Post
          What exactly is mean about it? Everyone with a proper brain should be able to connect 100 cents = 1 dollar. But he proceeded to give me THREE.
          Were they local? Because not everyone on this continent uses pennies and cents and collars.

Now I ask again; what was with saying "100 cents" when "a dollar" would have been fine?
          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

It was a joke.

It was funny.

I immensely enjoyed it!
            If there’s one thing women love, it’s the guy that just can’t seem to find the line that divides “Ha Ha” and “Stacey, get your purse, we’re leaving before he comes back.”.

--Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Blackbuster Critic View Post
              But he proceeded to give me THREE.
              I get you on the 100 cents = one dollar thing. Kinda funny. And kinda brain-burpy that he handed you 2 dollars and asked if it was enough.
              But at this point he's obviously confused. I don't see anything brain-burpy in him believing you when you told him, after having received 2 dollars, that you needed one more.

That's where the funny stops for me. Funny would have been saying something witty as you returned one dollar to him as his "change". Lying to him about how much money he needs is just straying towards mean. (Even if you geve him his two dollars back after.)

Apparently, your milage varies.

Comment

I would probably be a bit confused, because
                a) I'm not from the US
                b) I don't tend to think in terms of the smaller denominations when I'm expecting to pay the larger ones.

For me it would be like someone saying 240p- it would take me a while to figure they wanted £2.40, I'd think they were asking for £240, and it would confuse me for a second.

Had that in a shop once, when I was fourteen, I picked up some stuff and the person behind the counter asked for 200 pence, I misheard it as £200, got confused and scared, and then he decided to let me on the 'joke'. I felt humilated and unhappy.
                Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

Why should SCs get to be the only ones to make "jokes". It swings both ways. I like hearing that one every now and then. I makes you think and if you think, therefore you are.
                  I feel crazy. Like I'm drunk and trapped in a water globe and someone won't stop shaking it.
                  -The Amazing E
                  Zonies social group now open!

Comment

Now I ask again; what was with saying "100 cents" when "a dollar" would have been fine?
                    I personalyl think he was baiting the customer to cause an error.
                    I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Bliss, I'd have to agree with that assessment; after all, he did tell the customer he needed another dollar.

So now my question becomes How much change did the customer get back?

Comment

Excuse me as I quote from Real Life:

"Excuse me, how much is this?"
                        "Everything's a dollar."
                        "Really? How much is this?"
                        "One dollar."
                        "How much is this?"
                        "That's a dollar."
                        "What about this?"
                        "Every. Thing. Is. A. Dollar."
                        "Fantastic! How much is this?"

*Twitches*
                        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

I experienced this today:

SC: "How much are these?" (while pointing to clearance bin, containing clearance items which have price stickers on them)
                          Me: "That depends on which one you want." (true because there are a few different items in there and some have different prices.)
                          SC: "Ah ok." (walks away)

Comment

To cause more confusion in the US, ask the clerk if they accept Federal Reserve Notes.

(Most paper money in circulation in the US are Federal Reserve Notes.)
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                            X