Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this the stupidest reason in history for an ER visit?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Aethian View Post
    I've seen people here in the mitten get called living in the frozen north.
    My Canadian wife got amused every time she moved around with me anywhere in the northern US and the locals all tried to scare her with the terrible, changeable weather they got.
    Last edited by Ree; 11-17-2013, 01:27 PM. Reason: Edited quote

Comment

I know, right? Like Michigan is any different then what everyone else gets. I don't even include us in the frozen north. I put that more towards Alaska.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
        And I have now lost the last two days of my life. Thanks.
        It took me weeks to get through!
        "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
          Well, here's the thing. If you are left waiting for hours for something that stupid, you didn't need to be there in the first place.
          That said, you can be left waiting hours in the ER for something important; just not as urgent as something else that's occupying a necessary bit of equipment.

Toth was once left lying in a cervical (neck) collar on the hospital bed while the X-ray was being used for a two-car, two-family collision. Lovely nurses, and once or twice a doctor, came in to check on him and apologise for our wait; but as long as Toth was stable; he was less urgent than these people who were potentially losing limbs, mobility, and/or lives.

But every time one of them came in, they told Toth that if he wanted or needed to move, to send me or Bast to get a nurse FIRST.

(Toth had a potential neck fracture. Turned out to just be muscular, but without the X-ray there was no way to know.)
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
            It took me weeks to get through!
            I read fast. I took a bit of a break and started reading the pharmacy version of that thread a few minutes ago.

As for changing weather, I am a smart ass enough to point out that unless you live in Montana, you can't complain.

Some temperature change records for Montana, taken from http://montanakids.com/facts_and_fig...e_Extremes.htm :

-The temperature at Medicine Lake in northeastern Montana reached 117 degrees on July 5, 1937. This tied the all-time temperature for Montana previously established at Glendive on July 20, 1893. Combined with the -70 degrees Fahrenheit at Roger's Pass in 1954, this makes the all-time temperature range recorded in Montana 187 degrees. This is the most extreme temperature range experienced in any of the 50 states.

-The greatest temperature change in 24 hours occurred in Loma on January 15, 1972. The temperature rose exactly 103 degrees, from -54 degrees Fahrenheit to 49 degrees. This is the world record for a 24—hour temperature change.

-The temperature at the Great Falls International Airport on January 11, 1980, rose from -32 degrees Fahrenheit to 15 degrees in seven minutes when Chinook winds eroded an Arctic airmass. The temperature rose from 47 degrees in just seven minutes, making it the record for the most rapid temperature change registered in the United States.

There are some others, but those are just the highlights.
            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

I went off to the ER with swollen lips earlier this year.To be fair,they had gone first a funny blue colour and then purple and black in the space of an hour or so.And they had almost doubled in size.By the time we got to ER,they were starting to crack and bleed.They took one look at me and whizzed me through into a cubicle.Nobody knew what it was-the only thing we could think of was that I been gardening the day before and there had been something strange and black on the plants-turned out the roofers had dumped their oil into the geraniums
              We tried all sorts of things.In the end,they found it was some sort of copper poisoning and it eventually with various scrubby things subsided to the point I looked just like I'd been whacked in the mouth rather than a frostbite victim.
              Now call me a pest,but any part of my body turns black and swells up with no explanation,I'm off down the hospital to have someone look at it.
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                Now call me a pest,but any part of my body turns black and swells up with no explanation,I'm off down the hospital to have someone look at it.
                Works for me. I work on the premise anything that gives me either chest pains or starts closing my throat I grab my extra epi-pens and head for the hospital.
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                  There are some others, but those are just the highlights.
                  You seem to have mispelled "terrifying examples" there....

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                    <snip>Now call me a pest,but any part of my body turns black and swells up with no explanation,I'm off down the hospital to have someone look at it.
                    Nah . . . I'll not call anyone a pest with symptoms like that.

The issue I have with chapped lip man is he knew he had chapped lips.

Burt's Bees would have fixed that problem in a flash.
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I once got accused of taking my kid in "for nothing". Thankfully, the Ortho on call and the attending were better than the resident. That particular ER visit resulted in transfer to a better equipped hospital for a 10 day stay along with a hip/pelvic osteotomy because the deformity in the child's hip was bad enough to be threatening the femoral artery. I hope that resident saw the error of his ways in that case.
                      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                        Sounds like the guy that called the paper a few weeks ago wanting a reporter to write about how the ER didn't treat his wife fast enough, they had to wait for HOURS to see someone about....her swollen lip.

I was SO tempted to ask if his fist was the reason she had a swollen lip, but I didn't.
                        Hey cut it out! They don't need any of your lip!

Comment

On the eye scratches thing, that reminds of one time over Labor Day weekend, I was helping my dad do stuff outside and something blew into my eye...it felt like it was still in there, and nothing was working getting it out...It didn't really hurt, but it was beyond annoying, feeling like I had something in my eye! So my mum took me to urgent care, not the ER.

Turns out I had four scratches on my cornea.
                          "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                          "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                          Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Working...
                          X