This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Ghel View Post
    Huh. My jaw pops pretty often, sometimes painfully. I never knew there was a name for it. My hubby doesn't believe it pops because there's "no joint there."
    Go to the library, borrow any anatomy atlas. Even a children's one.

Look for the skull. You're after the joint between the temporal bone (tempero-) and the mandible (-mandibular). Temporal bones are on both sides of the skull. Mandible is the lower jawbone.

The joint name is Tempero-Mandibular Joint, or TMJ.

Everyone has two TMJs. Some have issues with one or both.

Wave the atlas at him. If he still doesn't believe it, hit him on the head with it. (Frontal bone recommended. Or if you prefer, you can Gibbs-slap him on the occipital.)
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
      ... hit him on the head with it...
      Use a Bible. A big bible. One with all the words in it.
      [/Cos]
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
        Huh. My jaw pops pretty often, sometimes painfully. I never knew there was a name for it. My hubby doesn't believe it pops because there's "no joint there."
        Wait, what..? How does he expect solid bone to flex/bend..?!?
        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

As I mentioned above, he thinks that it's all muscle connecting the jaw to the skull. When it comes up next, I'll have to educate him a bit.
          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
          -Mira Furlan

Comment

Yeah, I realised that after I replied - I was so shocked I hammered out a reply without checking those already there

Incredible lack of anatomy knowledge there.
            A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
              As I mentioned above, he thinks that it's all muscle connecting the jaw to the skull. When it comes up next, I'll have to educate him a bit.
              There is one bone which is connected solely by muscle - the hyoid bone. It's in the throat, and its other special feature is that it's a useful diagnostic tool for coroners. If it's broken, the victim was almost certainly strangled. (Thank you, many many crime shows and books.)

There is another joint which is mostly, though not solely, held together by muscles and tendons. The shoulder. Millenia ago, the human race sacrificed security of the shoulder joint for flexibility and mobility: the ability to put our arms above our heads, out to the sides, forwards, backwards, and down. And even across our bodies to an extent!
              But that's also why shoulders dislocate easily.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Update

I went to see the orthodontist this afternoon. The visit ended with me in tears and hyperventilating after his assistant got off the phone with my insurance company.

The rep I spoke with last week was mistaken. I am not covered for orthodontics for any reason under either of my policies. I also have no coverage for an occlusal (bite) guard or any other type of "appliance".

The only TMJ treatment for which I have any level of coverage is surgical.

Please excuse me while I cry into my wine smoothie while watching shitty, mind-numbing television.
                Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Comment

Jaw guards...which can sometimes be used as bite guards can be 15 bucks at a sporting goods store. Dip in hot water and hold in your mouth.

Comment

Quoth Headset Hellion View Post
                    The only TMJ treatment for which I have any level of coverage is surgical.
                    WHAT!?

They're only covering the most expensive, most invasive, most side-effect-prone method of treatment?

That's CRAZY!

Comment

TMJ sucks. Yep, I have it too. My problems started after an auto accident. My face hit the steering wheel, and ever since then I've had trouble with jaw problems. When it first happened, it was constantly popping. If it happened *just* right, I'd go deaf on my left side I didn't have surgery, but I did get my wisdom teeth yanked. That got rid of most of the popping. But, even now, the joint doesn't quite fit right, and *will* make annoying noises now and then.

As to insurance, I got lucky. At the time, I was still a minor, and still on my mother's insurance plan.
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I have TMJ as well. When I was in high school, my jaw locked up like you described. The cartilage pad in the joint had slipped out of place and was blocking my jaw from opening fully. I did end up having surgery for it, and haven't had any major issues since.

For me, anything chewy makes it act up. I avoid gum, chewy breads, and tough meats. I also have a mouth guard from the sports section at WalMart.

Comment

I was going to buy one of those mouth guards (you boil them to customize the fit?) but every single one at CVS had a warning that said, "Do not use if you have TMJ disorders!" I figured I'd better wait until I can ask my dentist.

He's already submitted a claim for an occlusal guard but it's going to be denied because it's not covered under a TMJ claim. I don't know if he'll be able to submit a new claim under bruxism (which I do have coverage for) because it might get flagged as insurance fraud. Which it's really not, because I actually do have bruxism (teeth grinding), too.

In the meantime, I have constant pain and pressure on both sides of my jaw. Chewing anything is painful, and talking for long periods of time is painful...I work in a call center, so I'm sure you can imagine how that's working for me.
                          Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Comment

Quoth Headset Hellion View Post
                            I was going to buy one of those mouth guards (you boil them to customize the fit?) but every single one at CVS had a warning that said, "Do not use if you have TMJ disorders!" I figured I'd better wait until I can ask my dentist.

He's already submitted a claim for an occlusal guard but it's going to be denied because it's not covered under a TMJ claim. I don't know if he'll be able to submit a new claim under bruxism (which I do have coverage for) because it might get flagged as insurance fraud. Which it's really not, because I actually do have bruxism (teeth grinding), too.
                            Yes, do NOT use a cheap mouth guard. They are not meant for that, and could make the problem worse. They will also wear and break down with time, creating a risk of an airway obstruction, and trap bacteria which could promote tooth decay. Go through your dentist for the proper device, and then do the care for it that he recommends.

I can't say what your insurance company will do, but one of the causes of TMJ is bruxism, so I would think they would have to cover it. At the very least if you have previously documented bruxism they can try to deny you but they can't make insurance fraud fly.
                            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Forgive me, but what is TMJ?

Comment

Quoth Kittykat View Post
                                Forgive me, but what is TMJ?
                                Temporal manidibular joint; the fancy term for where the lower jaw hinges into the skull.

The musculature there is among the strongest in the human body. The joint is prone to wear and tear, and many people suffer from TMJ disorders, often referred to just as TMJ.

The problem varies from mild annoyances to major problems requiring surgery.
                                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                                X