This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got called into the mgr office for a customer who says "I'm annoying"

Okay, a couple nights ago I get called into the mgrs office. My GM informed me that there is a couple who (I'm guessing are regular customers) who wrote a fairly long letter to our headquarters who, while praising other co-workers for their service, singled me out as, in no particular order: annoying, insincere (WTF?), "book smarts but lacking social skills", overtly friendly, and the like.

Now, before I go any further, I want to be clear that this is not entirely inaccurate (but what bothered me about the situation is what will come later). Yes, sometimes I do try a bit too hard in "going above and beyond", yes sometimes I do talk too much (though certainly not in such a way that it impacts my job performance; in fact I'm consistenly one of the fastest cashiers in the store) and yes sometimes I can be a pest in some ways. And I did promise my GM that I would try to, I guess "tone down" things (you see, while I'm unhappy with the pay of my current job, I do like to help people and I want to make the most of the job (cashier) I do have).

Now, where is my complaint you might ask? The fact that I've heard rumors about this couple saying these sorts of things to other checkers as they're being checked out. From what I understand, nearly everytime they come to check out, they often tell the cashier that they intentionally avoid my checklane because they believe I'm annoying. Now, going to management or writing a comment and such is one thing, but I believe it was very unprofessional and rude of them (not to mention embarrassing) to be telling every other co-worker they can't stand me. Furthermore, I have this feeling in my gut that it won't matter if I do try to keep things simple in terms of customer interaction; that they will continue to slap that label on me everytime they come to our store.

Also, I've done my job basically the same way for the past ten years (or three at the current store) and this is the first and only time I've ever had a problem like this. In fact, I've gotten many, many more written/verbal commendations and regulars that intentionally DO go through my lane for basically the same reasons the previous couple avoids my lane.

So... customers complained that you were too firendly and helpful.. I see.

Well, that's one complaint I know I'm never going to encounter at least. Let no good deed go unpunished.
    I will never go to school!

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
      insincere (WTF?), "book smarts but lacking social skills", overtly friendly, and the like.
      I got tagged like this at one point too, and all I could really figure out was that they (yes, also a married couple) weren't too big in the self esteem department. I think they had a little trouble believing that the witty banter and sincere helpfulness directed at THEM wasn't sarcasm. I try hard to treat everyone as similarly as possible, but if someone doesn't feel like they are as "with it" as others around them, they are going to think being treated as if they are with it is purposely insulting. It may seem like it won't work, but the tone down may have results eventually. My couple had no choice but to come through my line pretty often and once I scaled back to a quiet "Hi, nice to see you today." "Anything else for you?" sort of thing, they seemed to relax.
      YMMV. Good luck!

Comment

Don't worry about it... I get that too. I'm generally smiling and trying to joke with customers --"Oh, ice cream! Off to a nice relaxing night, eh?!" type banter that usually gets a smile and a "yes!" and more banter...!

I guess they expect cashiers to be sour and bitter and quiet...
        Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

Ignore them and just be yourself.

You have proof that many more people LIKE coming specifically to your lane.

They can go to hell. But not in a handbasket. That's MY transportation.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Wow! That seems rather ungrateful of them, in my opinion. There are so many unfriendly and downright rude types on both sides of the counter. Maybe it's just me, but I don't get annoyed at anyone who's trying to be friendly or helpful. I might look at them funny if they're all perky and bubbly, but I figure the least I can do is return the favor and be nice.

As a customer, I just try to conduct my business and be on my way as quickly as possible. If the person waiting on me is friendly, I'm nice to them. If the person waiting on me is being rude, I'll probably tell them to go to hell and walk out without buying anything.

At work, I primarily focus on being efficient -- get them through the line as quickly as possible. I only engage the customer in conversation if they seem friendly. Otherwise, I don't say much. If they're rude, I usually just tell them to take their business elsewhere because we have plenty of better customers willing to do business with us and be nice about it.

I'll be the first to admit that my attitude toward sucky customers is not very professional, but I don't feel they deserve the same courtesy I'd extend to the rest of the customers if they're going to be rude and obnoxious. I don't have time to bother with the jerks and idiots of the world. However, nicer customers will find me to be quite efficient, helpful and friendly.
            The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

If you rub them the wrong way, chances are they will rub you the wrong way as well. Or choose to think of it that way. Just silently thank them from staying away from you so you don't have to go out of your way to avoid them.

Comment

If it makes you feel any better, I guar-on-damn-tee you they are far, far more annoying than you are.

Comment

Coworker and I once got a written complaint from a customer that we were too cheerful in the morning.
                  So we took appropriate action.
                  We doubled our level of cheerfulness.

Comment

book smarts but lacking in social skills? TAnnoying?? These are completely uncalled for personal remarks. You check these people out, you do your job well, they really shouldn't be expecting anything more. Ugh. I wish I could slap them for you. As a disinterested bystander, of course.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                      If it makes you feel any better, I guar-on-damn-tee you they are far, far more annoying than you are.
                      Absolutely. They think that everyone gives a damn about what they think and who they do and do not like. That's annoying.

In fact, they have such high regard for their own snotty, misinformed opinions that they write letters to businesses complaining about minor personality conflicts with cashiers who did nothing to harm them in any way. They are labouring under the delusion that as customers, they somehow have the right to demand that store employees change their entire personality to suit their whims.

They've almost certainly met lots of people who absolutely despise them, but these folks have been far classier and far more polite than they and have kept their damned mouths shut about it.

This story made me very angry.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Ah, ignore them. It's a ridiculous complaint, and frankly, any company that would take seriously a complaint that a customer service person was "too friendly" has too much time on its hands (figuratively speaking...).
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

something I've never understood...why is it when a customer goes to management & complains about you that management takes THEIR word over yours EVEN IF you didn't do anything wrong? You could have 50 other people defending you BUT a customer cpmplaint takes precedent over anything even remotley looking like sense.

Comment

So, what did your GM ask you to do? I wasn't clear from your post about what he or she (your GM) said to you. Did he/she sound angry with you over this complaint? Were you punished in some way? I'd go after this arrogant couple for workplace harassment.

I've been in your shoes before, almost precisely the same pair of shoes, in fact. When I worked at the evil company Kinko's, I found that a lot of walk-in customers who need help with copying and editing documents could be very defensive about their knowledge and skills relating to said tasks.

I can practically picture in my head this couple who harassed you. And, I don't know about anyone else on here, but about 6 red flags went up as soon as I read that they referred to your "book smarts". Most of the people I've met who use that expression are AFRAID OF BOOKS, and, consequently, not very smart.

That couple who gave you grief (and in a cowardly fashion, I might add, since they went to your manager and didn't speak with YOU about their problem with YOU) would probably get along famously with this lady.

You have my sympathies.
                            Herewith, a nugget of wisdom from the very wise Mike Brady: "Alone, we can only move buckets. But if we work together, we can drain rivers."

--
                            mannabozo.wordpress.com

Comment

Quoth HowMayIHelpMe? View Post
                              Oh, what a retarded.... Oh wait, it's just the Onion.

Comment

Working...
                              X