This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These people have driver's licenses?

I work as a parts clerk for a major truck work body manufacturer. What that means is that we take normal pickup beds off of trucks, and put larger, bulkier beds that have storage cabinets on the sides back on; these beds are very popular with contractors, plumbers, and pretty much anyone who has to carry tools around from jobsite to jobsite. My job is primarily phone sales, selling parts to people who call us looking to buy them.

We have something like 12 different models of truck bed, and a variety of options that can go on that don't change the model number. When people call in for parts, unless it's something small and universal (locks, hinge blocks, etc.), we want to know what model it is. This information is stored in two places: The sales receipt that the customer gets when they buy the truck or bed (which is usually lost within days of buying the truck); and a sticker that is placed on the interior wall of the driver's side front storage compartment. This sticker also contains other important information such as the key code for the truck bed's locks.

At least once a week, and usually more often than that, the following exchange occurs:

C: Customer
    M: Me

C: "Hi, I have one of your truck beds, and I need a yadda yadda."
    M: "Okay, I'll need to know what model your truck bed is to make sure that I get you the right yadda yadda."
    C: "Where do I find that?" (You should already know it, but...)
    M: "That information can be found on a sticker inside the driver's side front storage compartment."
    C: "Inside the glove compartment?"

I kid you not. That exact exchange happens far, far too often. I knew that I wouldn't be dealing with rocket scientists when I found out what the job entailed, but come on! In what truck is the glove compartment on the driver's side?

Occasionally, that exchange is followed by the following, as well:

M: "No, the storage cabinet directly behind the driver."
    C: "On the back of the seat?"

Huh. You have to take the stock beds off?

I thought most trucks had a 'Chassis' option with just the cab, and then bare metal behind, for just this purpose...

Comment

Quoth Nutjob R/T View Post
      Huh. You have to take the stock beds off?

I thought most trucks had a 'Chassis' option with just the cab, and then bare metal behind, for just this purpose...
      Most do, but we do still have to take the beds off sometimes. Most often, though, you're right in that dealerships send bare chassis to us.

Comment

Quoth Nekojin View Post
        I kid you not. That exact exchange happens far, far too often. I knew that I wouldn't be dealing with rocket scientists when I found out what the job entailed, but come on! In what truck is the glove compartment on the driver's side?
        I know this is a bit off topic, but my 1991 VW Jetta had a storage compartment under the steering wheel for the owners manual. So, you could say that my car at that time had a glove compartment on the drivers side. :-P

But seriously, the front compartment on the drivers side does not typically equal the glove compartment. I mean, for me it might throw me off for a moment, but then I'd realize that the glove compartment isn't on the drivers side of the vehicle. Of course, I'd try to not say anything stupid about that in the process.
        Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

He sent me an email about this before he posted, and asked me if the "driver's side front storage compartment and glove box were the same thing."

My immediate thought was that the glove box is on the passenger's side, so the compartment he mentioned must be on the truck bed.

I suggest that he say, "the driver's side front storage compartment on the bed" and see if that changes the number of stupid responses.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Okay, gotta ask more questions, now.

How do they send the bare chassis to you? Do they send over a big semi loaded with these bareback trucks, or do they actually have them on hand and drive them over themselves?

If they do drive them, is there some sort of temporary bumper and lighting they bolt on? Because I'd hate to see the liabilities if someone rear-ended a chassis in traffic and skewered themselves...

Comment

How do they send the bare chassis to you?
              *snip*

I honestly don't know. I work in Parts. That's the Sales Department's end of it. I sell replacement doors, keys, taillights, keys, tailgates, keys, locks, keys, t-handle pockets, keys, body panels, keys, wheel well flares, keys, and stakebed gates.

Did I mention that I sell keys, too?

Comment

You might have.

But what about keys?

Comment

You might have.

But what about keys?
                  Let me check to see if we have those in stock....

Comment

You might have.

But what about keys?
                    What is your key code?

You can find that either on your receipt, on the key itself, on the back of the lock, or on the sticker inside the driver's side front storage compartment.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

But what if I'm locked out of the truck? And the receipt is in the passenger side frontmost storage compartment?

Comment

How do they send the bare chassis to you? Do they send over a big semi loaded with these bareback trucks, or do they actually have them on hand and drive them over themselves?
                        I used to work in the ordering department for one of the 'big 3'. Our dealers & upfitters were able to order trucks w/o the bed. It will have the chassis & cab, and be a functioning truck, just without a bed, when they're shipped to the upfitters. They were usually hauled over by the truckload, depending on which upfitter was receiving them.
                        That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

But what if I'm locked out of the truck? And the receipt is in the passenger side frontmost storage compartment?
                          Then you'll have to call a locksmith to open one of the doors (preferrably the driver's side front compartment) so you can find out the key code.

Comment

Quoth Nekojin View Post
                            M: "That information can be found on a sticker inside the driver's side front storage compartment."
                            okay, its official, i am apparently a SC, they have wore off on me, when i read this line, i was confused, I didnt think and immediately assumed the glove compartment as well, but was wondering why it would be described this way (the word "driver's" apparently never made it to the brain)

the worst part about my messing it up is, I used to have a truck with a work body for a previous job so now i know exactly what your talking about and remember seeing a sticker (mine may not have been in the same compartment)

me = fail

Comment

Quoth mckooter View Post
                              okay, its official, i am apparently a SC, they have wore off on me, when i read this line, i was confused, ...

me = fail

But you weren't calling to order parts and asking stupid questions. So you are not an SC, just a slightly confused CSer
                              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                              X